Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2010, 09:51 AM

1 posts, read 2,615 times

Advertisements

Okay... I have read through all of the unemployment updates, obviously tried to call EDD with no luck, and was hoping that someone here could answer my question. the peeps on this board seem to have much more of a grasp that I do.

I am getting my original unemployment, and have only been receiving it since the beginning/middle of June. I have enough money in the account to cover me for a few more weeks. Everything I read however points to this November 30 deadline. If my standard UI runs out after Nov 30, even a week after does this mean that I am not eligible for any extension at all, even if I have had no extensions as of yet? help! I need to start planning financially of this is the case.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2010, 10:00 AM

25,605 posts, read 56,327,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nancydru View Post
I am getting my original unemployment, and have only been receiving it since the beginning/middle of June. I have enough money in the account to cover me for a few more weeks. Everything I read however points to this November 30 deadline. If my standard UI runs out after Nov 30, even a week after does this mean that I am not eligible for any extension at all, even if I have had no extensions as of yet? help! I need to start planning financially of this is the case.
Unfortunately, Yes. Under the current legislation, you need to exhaust regular (state) benefits no later than November 20th to move to the first extension - Tier 1.

Even if the legislation expires November 30th, KEEP CLAIMING. If an extension is passed later, the payments are usually made retroactively. It is much easier to get those payments to you if your claim is current in CA's system.

More info here:
Quote:
Originally Posted by diorgirl View Post
There has been continuing confusion about eligibility cut-off dates versus expiration dates for federal unemployment benefits. In summary:

(1) EUC Tiers/Eligibility cut-off dates - The most recently passed federal legislation extended the eligibility cut-off dates for the EUC Tiers to the end of November 2010. The latest you can move from regular benefits to Tier I is on or before Sunday, November 21; that means you must exhaust your regular benefits no later than Saturday, November 20. The latest that you can move from one Tier to the next is Sunday, November 28. That means you must exhaust your current Tier on or before Saturday, November 27, because Sunday, November 28 is the last day you can start a new Tier.

(2) EUC Tiers/Expiration date - The expiration date of the EUC Tiers program is different than the eligibility cut-off dates. The expiration date is the last day on which benefits will be paid by the program -- currently that is April 30, 2011. Typically, the expiration date is about five months after the eligibility cut-off dates -- which gives anyone who starts the longest Tier (20 weeks) on the last eligible date enough time to collect all 20 weeks, assuming you collect your full benefit each week.

(3) EB/Expiration date - At this time, EB is 100% federally funded through December 4, 2010. This December 4 expiration date is the EB equivalent of the April 30, 2011, expiration date set for the EUC Tiers. Many states discontinue EB when the 100% federal funding expires; other states revert to the traditional funding split of 50% federal/50% states, and continue to provide EB.

(4) FAC/Expiration date - The FAC program was not extended by the recent legislation, so you must have filed your claim for regular unemployment benefits before the end of May 2010 to qualify for the $25 weekly FAC payment. If you are already collecting the FAC, that program will expire on December 11, 2010 -- no further FAC payments will be made after that date.

The eligibility cut-off dates and expiration dates I have noted above are all current. For these dates to be extended, Congress must enact new legislation with new dates.

Last edited by Ariadne22; 11-13-2010 at 10:22 AM..

Old 11-18-2010, 08:37 PM

3 posts, read 6,249 times
NancyDru, I'm in the exact same position as you. I was laid off in June. My current benefit would run out in December (after the Nov. cutoff date). My claim expires in June 2011. I'm not sure what to do?

Old 11-18-2010, 09:08 PM

3 posts, read 6,249 times
Default This link says something contrary

[url=http://www.aolnews.com/surge-desk/article/unemployment-benefits-extension-nixed-6-things-you-need-to-know/19724798]Unemployment Benefits Extension Nixed: 6 Things You Need to Know[/url]

"Whose unemployment benefits are not at risk?
Workers who have been unemployed less than six months will not see any change in their benefits. "

Does this mean that we will get the 13 or 20 week extension?

Old 11-18-2010, 09:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlmom View Post
Workers who have been unemployed less than six months will not see any change in their benefits. "

No. They are talking about initial state benefits of 26 weeks - i.e., 6 months. Yours are running out in December.

However, there is a good likelihood Congress will pass an extension of the EUC legislation. At this point, it is not clear if they will be able to do that this month. Might not get done until December. So, if that is the case, you would be without benefits for some weeks.

However, KEEP CLAIMING - even if there is no extension. It is a lot easier for CA to pay benefits if your claims in the system are current.

Old 11-18-2010, 09:26 PM

3,814 posts, read 11,959,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlmom View Post
Unemployment Benefits Extension Nixed: 6 Things You Need to Know

No. If you have been unemployed less than six months, that means you are probably still collecting regular benefits (maximum of up to 26 weeks). So you will be allowed to exhaust your regular benefits because they are not subject to the eligibility cut-off dates that limit entry to the EUC Tiers. In addition, you are not yet eligible for EB, which may no longer be offered by your state when the 100% federal funding expires.

So that statement -- "Workers who have been unemployed less than six months will not see any change in their benefits." -- means that the level of unemployment benefits that you are now collecting (regular benefits) is not at risk. It does not mean that you will get any additional benefits.

Old 12-20-2010, 09:53 PM

2 posts, read 4,509 times
It is all COMPLETELY CONFUSING for my old brain to understand. Tier 1, Tier 2, is all Greek to me, and to both my adult sons were laid off from their jobs (in CALIFORNIA) in October 2009. Can anyone out there tell me how long they will continue to get unemployment? We have gotten several different answers from the Unemployment office!! I would be ever SO grateful. Thank you.

Old 12-21-2010, 12:32 AM

Count the weeks they have collected so far. Assuming they have not worked part-time stretching out the period of time they can collect, the maximum on one claim is 99 weeks' benefits, as follows, although it could be less if earnings are less:

26 wks State Benefits
20 wks EUC Tier I benefits
14 wks EUC Tier II benefits
13 wks EUC Tier III benefits
06 wks EUC Tier IV benefits
20 wks Fed-ED (Extended Benefits)

There are unemployment rate triggers on Tiers III, IV, and Fed-ED, but CA's unemployment rate is so high, they will have exhausted their benefits before the rate drops, I think.

If they have been collecting without interruption since October, their benefits will be exhausted sometime between August-Sept. 2011.

Now, if they have been working part-time, CA may have established a new claim year for either or both this past October which could extend their benefits, but also complicate the claim. That may account for the conflicting answers. Unemployment reps vary in their knowledge, and it is very common to receive incorrect information.

If you can provide specifics, there are many here that can explain it to you.

Last edited by Ariadne22; 12-21-2010 at 12:51 AM..

Old 12-21-2010, 11:53 AM

37 posts, read 97,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mebeyeya View Post
It is all COMPLETELY CONFUSING for my old brain to understand. Tier 1, Tier 2, is all Greek to me, and to both my adult sons were laid off from their jobs (in CALIFORNIA) in October 2009. Can anyone out there tell me how long they will continue to get unemployment? We have gotten several different answers from the Unemployment office!! I would be ever SO grateful. Thank you.
Same thing happened to me with EDD. I literally spoke to several different people and got several different answers. I just don't think that some of the workers there are very well versed in benefit information, which is scary considering where they work....

Luckily the people here are on the ball..

Old 01-04-2011, 07:32 PM

2 posts, read 4,509 times
Hey, I have 2 adult sons who have been out of work for over a year. Very intelligent, quick studies, and great at Customer Service. Wish THEY could find work at EDD! They'd give out the right info! ((:
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment