Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2010, 10:42 AM

1,296 posts, read 2,222,456 times

Advertisements

It's old news, that most of the long-term unemployed, are over 45. Employers are apparently free, to engage in age dicrimination, in their hiring practices. And when you're over 45, and looking for work in this economy, it's a nightmare!

That being the case, I think that the government should create a special benefits package, for those over 45, who have exhausted their unemployment benefits, still can't work, but are too young to retire. This special benefits package, could kick-in for those over 45, as soon as their unemployment benefits expire.

I'm envisioning that this type of benefits package, might be need-based, in which the amount of benefits paid, could be based on need. Those who have no other household income or assets, could be paid the most benefits. I'm envisioning a benefits package, that can be some combition of cash payments, food stamps, and perhaps eviction prevention assistance, for those who would need it. Or, it could be perhaps just cash payments, to fulfill all of a person's basic living expenses.

This type of special assistance program, wouldn't be like Welfare, because no one could stay on it indefinitely, and it would be more than what Welfare currently pays. And it wouldn't be like regular unemployment benefits, because there would be no tiers to keep extending. I'm thinking that this special benefits program would expire, whenever the recipient found a job, or was old enough to collect Social Security, which ever came first.

I don't think that young people who are jobs seeker, would need this type of program, because they don't have to face the age discrimination, that those over 45 do, in today's job market. Let me know your thoughts o my ideas, and please let me know if you have even better ideas, of your own.

Old 10-30-2010, 11:35 AM

6,612 posts, read 12,821,934 times
I think 45 is way too young for any such proposal, considering minimum SS isn't available until 62.

over 55 maybe.

Old 10-30-2010, 11:42 AM

16,408 posts, read 33,240,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Opyelie View Post
I think 45 is way too young for any such proposal, considering minimum SS isn't available until 62.

over 55 maybe.

So the chronically unemployed should struggle for survival with no safety net for 17 years instead of 7?

Old 10-30-2010, 12:18 PM
C.C

2,235 posts, read 2,360,076 times
Let me be the first to point out that such a program would not be needed if we would only bear true witness to our at-will employment laws. Shouldn't anyone, starting at age 18, be entitled to apply for and collect unemployment benefits of indefinite duration simply by virtue of declaring himself "at-will unemployed"? This would have the additional benefit of eliminating poverty in the several states.

Old 10-30-2010, 01:00 PM

3,120 posts, read 8,049,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by C.C View Post
Let me be the first to point out that such a program would not be needed if we would only bear true witness to our at-will employment laws. Shouldn't anyone, starting at age 18, be entitled to apply for and collect unemployment benefits of indefinite duration simply by virtue of declaring himself "at-will unemployed"? This would have the additional benefit of eliminating poverty in the several states.
Ha ha ha.

Do you acknowledge the existence of people who are involuntarily unemployed or involuntarily severely underemployed?

Old 10-30-2010, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post

So the chronically unemployed should struggle for survival with no safety net for 17 years instead of 7?
Oh please, age discrimination at 45? I'd LOVE to be 45 rather than 59 and looking for work in this job market.

What's with the "chronically" unemployed? Are you saying anyone over 45 is unemployable?

Are you honestly saying you think 17 years of a "special benefit" wouldn't be a tad excessive?

Last edited by Opyelie; 10-30-2010 at 01:54 PM..

Old 10-30-2010, 01:25 PM

783 posts, read 2,253,404 times
Depends. Try getting a job in IT at 45 with no advanced degree. I'm not even sure a PhD would help given there are many 35 year olds similarly qualified.

I'm 48. I'm not saying I'm unemployable, but I am having to go back to school to get another degree - and this time it won't be in IT or any engineering field. I also can't imagine trying to serve a medical internship at 54, so that choice is right out. So, I'm back in school, trying to live off student loans (that I will probably never be able to pay back) and self-made jobs that don't take too much time away from studies. At 48, I've become "a professional student." I'm definitely thankful at this point I don't have a family to try to support as well.

Old 10-30-2010, 01:32 PM

25,591 posts, read 56,363,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by C.C View Post
http://bestsmileys.com/lol/1.gif (broken link)http://bestsmileys.com/lol/1.gif (broken link) Posting under a pseudonym now, are we? http://bestsmileys.com/lol/1.gif (broken link)http://bestsmileys.com/lol/1.gif (broken link)

Old 10-30-2010, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariadne22 View Post
Posting under a pseudonym now, are we?
LOL, you noticed that too huh? If I was the poster C.C. I'd be pretty po'd at someone and reporting it to mods.

Old 10-30-2010, 02:25 PM

1,296 posts, read 2,222,456 times
Hey Opyelie,

To employers who condone age discrimination, someone aged 45, is definitely considered 'too old' to hire. They won't wait until you're 59, to refuse to hire you due to your age. I'm 51, and I've been feeling the age discrimination thing, since I was in my mid-40s. In this economy, many of those over 45 who have become unemployed, may never get a job again. Employers are only worried about their profits, not being fair towards considering older workers, for jobs.

So, 17 years of a special benefit program for those over 45, is not too excessive, as long as so many employers, insist on practising age discrimination. That's why I suggested some kind of special benefits program, to keep those over 45 who can't find work, from falling into total destitution. Our country has a moral obligation, to not let this happen!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment