Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2010, 11:46 AM

3,727 posts, read 7,030,696 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post
Perhaps you don't have a case to sit home and collect money for weeks and months on end, but if it happened on the job, you do have a case to at least get your medical bills covered. Hopefully the preventative measures you take in the future will be enough to keep it from recurring! Feel better!
Thank you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReturningWest View Post
Get a copy of the report...you are allowed to have one...don't quit - get a note from your doctor that you need more time to heal. Document document document everything.
Yes, I'll definately get a copy.

Thanks, all, for your help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2010, 07:11 AM

ArrrrRRRRRrrrrrgh!

So I took a few days off to nurse my back. I go back yesterday. Meet with the boss and tell him I want to try again and hope that the back thing was a fluke. I really do like my coworkers and even most of the customers. I tell him I'd like to try to help at least through Black Friday as I don't want to leave the other 3 ladies short handed on that horrific day. He agrees, but tells me that no job is worth permanent back damage. I'm to let him know at any time it i need to leave/quit.

Then he drops the bombshell. This was supposed to be a temp to perm job. He even thought I could go permanent before Christmas and not have to wait until January like most will. Well, he tells me that he is already overbudget (why, then, did he just hire two of us), and that the position will not go perm. He even told me that if I leave, I will not be replaced. So either he lied at the interview, or is lying now hoping I'll quit, whether to avoid problems or save money or both.

I'm so sick of employers and their lies.

Old 11-20-2010, 02:52 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,622,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYChistorygal View Post
ArrrrRRRRRrrrrrgh!

So I took a few days off to nurse my back. I go back yesterday. Meet with the boss and tell him I want to try again and hope that the back thing was a fluke. I really do like my coworkers and even most of the customers. I tell him I'd like to try to help at least through Black Friday as I don't want to leave the other 3 ladies short handed on that horrific day. He agrees, but tells me that no job is worth permanent back damage. I'm to let him know at any time it i need to leave/quit.

Then he drops the bombshell. This was supposed to be a temp to perm job. He even thought I could go permanent before Christmas and not have to wait until January like most will. Well, he tells me that he is already overbudget (why, then, did he just hire two of us), and that the position will not go perm. He even told me that if I leave, I will not be replaced. So either he lied at the interview, or is lying now hoping I'll quit, whether to avoid problems or save money or both.

I'm so sick of employers and their lies.

He wants you to quit. So at this point I would follow through with the doctors and go the WC route.

What he said to you was even if you said I can't work next week(Black Friday) your coworkers were going to get by without you regardless.

And between ordering online and the economy I think retailers will not be getting a big turnout anyway.

What happens if you go in for BF, knock yourself out, and they say the following week, "oh it wasn't as busy as we thought it would be, we have to let you go".

Old 11-20-2010, 09:51 PM

[quote=seain dublin;16728441]He wants you to quit. So at this point I would follow through with the doctors and go the WC route.

What he said to you was even if you said I can't work next week(Black Friday) your coworkers were going to get by without you regardless.

And between ordering online and the economy I think retailers will not be getting a big turnout anyway.

What happens if you go in for BF, knock yourself out, and they say the following week, "oh it wasn't as busy as we thought it would be, we have to let you go".[/quote]

I'd be eligible for a UI extension, if another is approved! I would love that. I'm trying to hang in for that.

In the meantime, I need the money for as long as I can last. (I also want the 35% off a loveseat I can get tomorrow) I won't risk serious injury though, so I'm being careful.

Old 11-20-2010, 10:19 PM

625 posts, read 3,634,851 times
[quote=NYChistorygal;16732146]
Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
He wants you to quit. So at this point I would follow through with the doctors and go the WC route.

What happens if you go in for BF, knock yourself out, and they say the following week, "oh it wasn't as busy as we thought it would be, we have to let you go".[/quote]

I'd be eligible for a UI extension, if another is approved! I would love that. I'm trying to hang in for that.

In the meantime, I need the money for as long as I can last. (I also want the 35% off a loveseat I can get tomorrow) I won't risk serious injury though, so I'm being careful.
I'm confused now. You are saying you have no money and all of these ailments but yet you are hoping this job fires you so you can get back on unemployment and buy a loveseat on sale? hmm must be nice...

Old 11-20-2010, 10:36 PM

[quote=neekah18;16732363]
Quote:

I'm confused now. You are saying you have no money and all of these ailments but yet you are hoping this job fires you so you can get back on unemployment and buy a loveseat on sale? hmm must be nice...
I see that I was unclear (tired!). My parents are buying the loveseat as a birthday/Christmas present, so of course I want to save as much for them as I can. I currently use a chair with a pillow on it. They also let me live here without paying rent, and pay for my medical insurance. I buy the food and pay my personal bills with what is left of my savings. Hence, my hesitation to quit, despite the pain. I thought that at this point in life I'd be taking care of them, not them taking care of me.

Old 11-20-2010, 11:21 PM

25,573 posts, read 56,451,817 times
NYC, don't you have an interview next week? What is your field?

Old 11-21-2010, 08:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariadne22 View Post
NYC, don't you have an interview next week? What is your field?
YES, I do!

I'm and Administrative Assistant. I'm hopeful, but trying not to get my hopes up too high. It'll be such a letdown if I don't get it.

Old 11-21-2010, 06:55 PM

625 posts, read 3,634,851 times
[quote=NYChistorygal;16732474]
Quote:
Originally Posted by neekah18 View Post

I see that I was unclear (tired!). My parents are buying the loveseat as a birthday/Christmas present, so of course I want to save as much for them as I can. I currently use a chair with a pillow on it. They also let me live here without paying rent, and pay for my medical insurance. I buy the food and pay my personal bills with what is left of my savings. Hence, my hesitation to quit, despite the pain. I thought that at this point in life I'd be taking care of them, not them taking care of me.

okay now i get it and definitely feel your pain. Yes it is s rough out here. I don't have any insurance and I just have to hope and pray I don't get seriously ill. Good Luck

Old 11-21-2010, 08:49 PM

[quote=neekah18;16740720]
Quote:

okay now i get it and definitely feel your pain. Yes it is s rough out here. I don't have any insurance and I just have to hope and pray I don't get seriously ill. Good Luck
To you as well - be well!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment