U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Halloween!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 11-06-2010, 02:08 PM
S8B S8B started this thread

9 posts, read 33,844 times
Default California First Unemployment Extension Help! Almost out of my original. Claim form shows XXX on 2nd week.

Hi everyone,

I need a bit of help with my first California Unemployment Extension. I am worried as heck right now!

I got laid off of work in the beginning of May 2010 as a part time worker. Luckily, I qualified for unemployment without any hassles.

Now, it seems as if I just received my last claim form. I only have one week of funds left.

Now, my question is, why is the 2nd Week all "XXX"'d out? Does that mean that I was denied for a first extension? From what EDD states, it seems as if they automatically file the first extension for you.

Does this mean that I have to send this last claim form, and then receive a continued claim form afterward? Is there any "1 Week Off" period as if was with the first insurance check? I definitely can't afford to lose one week, and not to even mention, lose my unemployment

Thanks for any help!
Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2010, 10:05 AM

8,708 posts, read 11,921,435 times
Send your claim form in like you normally do. The XXX is because there's no money left for the second week, and EDD will automatically file for your extension. You'll receive your checks in the mail without a problem.

Old 11-08-2010, 03:34 PM

190 posts, read 255,282 times
Don't worry, S8B. I finished the first 26 weeks last month and had no problem with the transition.

FYI the first and last check of the original claim is always for 1 week. EDD will send you a new continued claims form for Tier 1. Everything will be exactly the same as the first 6 months.

Old 11-10-2010, 05:49 PM

1 posts, read 8,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapturegal View Post
Don't worry, S8B. I finished the first 26 weeks last month and had no problem with the transition.

FYI the first and last check of the original claim is always for 1 week. EDD will send you a new continued claims form for Tier 1. Everything will be exactly the same as the first 6 months.
So I received my last check for the first 26 weeks this past Monday for the week ending Oct 30. It was for 1 week only. So when should I expect the continued claims to show up? It mentioned on my last check that if I qualify for an extension I will receive something in the mail. I assume it should be sometimes this week so that I will need to drop off in the mail by next Monday (11/15) to cover the 2 weeks from Oct30-Nov14 correct?

Anyone know how soon they send the continuation forms after you receive your last check?

Old 11-10-2010, 07:10 PM

8,708 posts, read 11,921,435 times
EDD filed automatically for me, and I received a check with a claim form attached to it.

Old 11-15-2010, 01:57 PM
S8B S8B started this thread

9 posts, read 33,844 times
Thanks for the help people.

I am currently in the same situation Renee74. I received my last check today [1-week pay] and the form states "Not a Claim Form". With the following information: "You have received all benefits payable on your claim. You may qualify for extended benefits. If you qualify, the claim will automatically be filled. No action is needed on your part. You will be notified by mail of your eligibility. Your claim balance after this payment is $0.00."

Is it normal not to have the continued claim form for the extension attached to your last check? If so, I'm assuming I should expect the continued claims form to arrive separately this week?

Thank you all for any help.

Old 11-16-2010, 05:13 PM

1 posts, read 8,118 times
I'm about a week away from being in the same situation as you guys. I've been looking hard for work and it's killing me seriously. I can't keep up with my bills and I'm dipping into my credit cards now for cash. I'm worried about my future. EDD is not even enough to survive honestly. The break in between if I don't find a job soon will break me. Please give me updates how you guys turn out. Hopefully you guys get them soon. Good luck seriously.

Old 11-20-2010, 03:55 PM

1 posts, read 8,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by S8B View Post
Thanks for the help people.

I am currently in the same situation Renee74. I received my last check today [1-week pay] and the form states "Not a Claim Form". With the following information: "You have received all benefits payable on your claim. You may qualify for extended benefits. If you qualify, the claim will automatically be filled. No action is needed on your part. You will be notified by mail of your eligibility. Your claim balance after this payment is $0.00."

Is it normal not to have the continued claim form for the extension attached to your last check? If so, I'm assuming I should expect the continued claims form to arrive separately this week?

Thank you all for any help.
I received my last California Regular Claim Check for one week on 11/15/10. Am I still eligible for the first federal tier I extension? I'm a bit worried because I know that they will not be allowing extensions beyond Nov. 30th 2010 (which is really going to be hard on a lot of people, especially with the holidays). It stated on the last check that I will be receiving forms if I am eligible for the extension. Am I still eligible? Will EDD automatically file this for me? How long will it take for me to receive this form in the mail so I can start getting checks. I've been struggling like crazy to survive with what I have already been getting, and Im scared that I won't be eligible under the new deadlines...or maybe im worried for nothing and just got through by the skin of my teeth. Thanks for any help in advance!

Old 11-20-2010, 04:01 PM

4,872 posts, read 5,505,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Echorunner View Post
I received my last California Regular Claim Check for one week on 11/15/10. Am I still eligible for the first federal tier I extension? I'm a bit worried because I know that they will not be allowing extensions beyond Nov. 30th 2010 (which is really going to be hard on a lot of people, especially with the holidays). It stated on the last check that I will be receiving forms if I am eligible for the extension. Am I still eligible? Will EDD automatically file this for me? How long will it take for me to receive this form in the mail so I can start getting checks. I've been struggling like crazy to survive with what I have already been getting, and Im scared that I won't be eligible under the new deadlines...or maybe im worried for nothing and just got through by the skin of my teeth. Thanks for any help in advance!
I think you are in a good spot. You finished your 26 weeks on Nov 15th so therefore you beat the clock on Nov 20/-27 ( 20th is for 26 weekers and 27th is for Tier 1-4's) You beat the deadline in time and should check your balance in a few days. It should show 20 weeks for Tier 1 on your account soon.

Old 11-29-2010, 04:48 PM

5 posts, read 19,819 times
Does anyone know if the 11/21/2010 deadline for the first round of Federal extensions is based on when your claim ends or the date your last check was issued. My last check covered the week ending 11/06/2010 (so my claim ended 11/06/2010) so clearly before the 11/21/2010 deadline, but because of some issues, it wasn't paid until 11/23/2010. Am I still eligible for the first round of Federal extensions? I've received my last check already and it stated that if I was eligible for the extension, CA EDD would automatically enroll me, but I haven't received the new claim form yet.

Anyone else in the same boat? How long between when you got your last check and when the new claim form (the one for the Federal extensions) was received?

Thanks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment