U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 11-08-2010, 04:11 PM

4 posts, read 32,080 times

Advertisements

I'm new to this unemployment stuff. I was at my job for seven years and got terminated due to a mistake at work. I was on lyrica and was told by my doctor to just stop taking it because it wasn't helping my back and i could tell my head wasn't all there. I made a mistake which got me terminated, i didn't do a count right on a pallet coming in and it was missing a box and it fell into a cardboard container and the shredding team shredded the clients box. The lyrica effects i could tell were affecting me on my concentration and i told my boss that i was taking it and just stopped it.

Anyway on to the question. I filed for Unemployment, my HR said i could. They usually say no to people who are fired and ask for it. Now i got in the mail a thing that says i need a phone interview saying the reason for appointment is " You may have been seperated for misconduct in connection with your work". Does this mean they are denying the benefits? Do i have to fight this or does it mean in stone i won't be getting the benefits. Has anyone got this appointment before and got benefits?

I'm in NJ by the way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2010, 04:16 PM

15,952 posts, read 12,383,851 times
Appeal, make your employer come in and swear to it and make sure he understands that if you lose you will appeal that to court.

Old 11-08-2010, 04:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boompa View Post
Appeal, make your employer come in and swear to it and make sure he understands that if you lose you will appeal that to court.
Appeal the termination or the mistake? Sorry, never had to deal with this before. I read on the unemployment board for misconduct. It said if you made a mistake that cost the company then that is misconduct. But if it was a judgement of error or isolated mistake it isn't misconduct. To me i did both of them, being on the lyrica was messing with my concentration and i did cost the company by having a clients box destroyed. I didn't destroy the box though, the shredding team should of realized that a whole box didn't go in that bin. They have it on camera that i didn't look around the whole pallet.

A few of my friends were telling me to get a lawyer. I'm wondering if i should just wait till next week for that phone call to see exactly what they say or get a lawyer now. I also looked more of this up and some people said this is a common thing when you put fired down on the claim that you will get this interview. I did say the reason i was fired which might of got the interviewer wondering.

Last edited by scarface000; 11-08-2010 at 04:59 PM..

Old 11-08-2010, 07:08 PM

580 posts, read 1,128,523 times
A determination has not been made yet. Any time you are let go for anything other than lack of work, there has to be an investigation. Only after this investigation will you find out whether or not your unemployment has been approved. If at this time you are not approved, then you can file an appeal. I wouldn't worry about it yet.

Old 11-08-2010, 09:34 PM

14,157 posts, read 18,601,021 times
Frizzo has given you the correct answer. The interview is the first step in the process. You will then receive a determination. If your benefits are denied, you would then file an appeal. Instructions for that will be given to you at the time of the determination.

For now, just wait.

Old 11-09-2010, 02:27 PM

Thanks all. Tomorrow i go for the reemployment interview, then next tuesday is the call. I'm going to ask if i can go to school while collecting to try and further my experience for a better job because the market isn't looking pretty right now. I heard all different stories about the going to school and collecting thing so i'll just ask him tomorrow.

Old 11-10-2010, 11:13 PM

359 posts, read 708,624 times
Whatever you do DON'T tell the UC office you were canned for misconduct.
Guilty or not they will do an investigation that can take months to complete.
During this time you will NOT get any UC payments.
Just tell em you were laid off from lack of work and let them sort it out.
Theres a 50/50 chance they might never hear of your alleged misconduct
as your employer would hafta prove it in appeals court if it gets that far.
And if the charge is bogus they won't take that chance.
Just file a claim and see what happens.

Old 11-11-2010, 12:55 AM

1,822 posts, read 788,778 times
I agree with not saying anything regarding “misconduct” or “fired.” UE will contact your employer regarding your new UE claim and your former employer may not make an issue out of it or mention misconduct. Especially since you mentioned that HR said that you could file for unemployment very likely indicates that they won’t try to [expletive deleted] you out of collecting. They wouldn’t have said that if they were going to fight you on your claim unless they are real dirtbags. Good luck.

Old 11-22-2010, 11:29 AM

Just an update, i checked my bank account today and see 2 deposits. So thankfully my work didn't deny it.

I have a question though. It's supposed to be a max of 380 per week. One is 548 and the other is 342. I'm new to this unemployment. Do they put an additional deposit in the first time or is something wrong there? Because that is supposed to be for only 2 weeks. I claim the next 2 weeks tomorrow.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment