Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-14-2011, 12:13 AM

1,249 posts, read 2,695,773 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReturningWest View Post
So sad today, nothing to apply for, it just dosen't seem to be getting much better even though Corporations are making money, what has happened to the jobs. I KNOW I'm doing everything to find work, I keep up my skills - I test at 100% on all MS office software and type 55wpm, have taken a course of re-training in a career that has jobs...it will be a year next month since I completed my phlebotomy course and passed my national certification the only thing it got me were a few interviews and no job. I'm now 60 years old and will have been unemployed for 3 years at the end of May.

I continue to see more and more hate and bigotry towards the unemployed, like it's our fault some how that we can't get work, like we are lazy, drug-addled, alcoholics. That something is wrong with us because we are unemployed. I live in GA and our unemployment rate is still at 10.2% and has been over 10% for almost 3 years.

Where has our humanity towards those who have less? Where is the compassion, the empathy and concern?
Yes I know what you mean because I have been without work for a long time too and the economy isn't much better here in CA. I'm only in my 30s and I'm having a hard time finding anything. When you have lots of unemployed people and fewer jobs to go around, this creates a massive amount of competition.

And some people just don't get it. I believe that they think it is our fault that we can't find anything. Even if they don't say it directly, I know that there are people out there that have no sympathy towards those who are trying to get back into the work force again. I am trying to earn money by doing freelance writing online but to get any money it is going to take some time. I'm even spending time tonight looking for jobs even though I've got a head cold. I guess we have no choice but to try and be positive and just hang in there
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2011, 10:02 AM

4,585 posts, read 12,365,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AliveandWell View Post
Yes I know what you mean because I have been without work for a long time too and the economy isn't much better here in CA. I'm only in my 30s and I'm having a hard time finding anything. When you have lots of unemployed people and fewer jobs to go around, this creates a massive amount of competition.

And some people just don't get it. I believe that they think it is our fault that we can't find anything. Even if they don't say it directly, I know that there are people out there that have no sympathy towards those who are trying to get back into the work force again. I am trying to earn money by doing freelance writing online but to get any money it is going to take some time. I'm even spending time tonight looking for jobs even though I've got a head cold. I guess we have no choice but to try and be positive and just hang in there
Your right, people who are still employed just don't get it, it's like they are living in some clueless bubble about what really is happening in our country, I'm on food stamps and there is a thread in the political forum bashing those on food stamps...I just get so sick of it. People have become so hateful towards those who've fallen on hard times and I'm really tired of defending myself and justifying why I need some help.. It's like they'd prefer we would just disapear and starve to death. It gets very depressing sometimes and hard to deal with all the hate. And now in the employment forum, there are many who would refuse to hire the unemployed...so how are we supposed to get a job if no one will hire us because we are unemployed. The whole perception about us is disheartening to say the least.

Old 04-18-2011, 08:29 PM

10,494 posts, read 27,244,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReturningWest View Post
Your right, people who are still employed just don't get it, it's like they are living in some clueless bubble about what really is happening in our country, I'm on food stamps and there is a thread in the political forum bashing those on food stamps...I just get so sick of it. People have become so hateful towards those who've fallen on hard times and I'm really tired of defending myself and justifying why I need some help.. It's like they'd prefer we would just disappear and starve to death. It gets very depressing sometimes and hard to deal with all the hate. And now in the employment forum, there are many who would refuse to hire the unemployed...so how are we supposed to get a job if no one will hire us because we are unemployed. The whole perception about us is disheartening to say the least.
It is all a matter of a false sense of pride. Those same people that are hateful will be in the same situation in the near future. It would not surprise me that when they are unemployed and are on food stamps they will STILL bash others, while not admitting they are in in the same situation. Stubbornness at its best....

Old 04-21-2011, 11:19 PM

This is a really interesting article I found today. There are 60 stories total, and I read through each one.

Trading Down: Taking A Pay Cut After A Layoff -- HuffPost Readers' Stories

Old 04-22-2011, 08:09 AM

3,652 posts, read 4,705,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by las vegas drunk View Post
It is all a matter of a false sense of pride. Those same people that are hateful will be in the same situation in the near future. It would not surprise me that when they are unemployed and are on food stamps they will STILL bash others, while not admitting they are in in the same situation. Stubbornness at its best....
To be frank, this recession has brought out the nasty, ugly side in many people. Kinds shows you the current state of humanity...

Old 04-26-2011, 10:12 PM

1 posts, read 2,478 times
Default Georgia State Extended Benefits Question

I have a question about my State Extended Benefits.
I have about six more weeks to claim, but the last week I claimed says 'not paid', and to contact the DOL. Why would it say that it has not been paid. Does it have anything to do with this past weekend being easter weekend? I've never seen it say 'not paid' before.

Old 04-28-2011, 05:42 PM

1,446 posts, read 3,551,562 times
I'm going to a job fair tomorrow where apparently my mom and her friend think they will hire people on the spot. I'll be dressed the part with my resumes, but I still have the apprehension.

I haven't been to a job fair in about a year and a half, since they had very, long lines and started locking people out.

Old 05-02-2011, 09:31 AM

475 posts, read 648,600 times
Default Did you find out yet?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashez2079 View Post
I have a question about my State Extended Benefits.
I have about six more weeks to claim, but the last week I claimed says 'not paid', and to contact the DOL. Why would it say that it has not been paid. Does it have anything to do with this past weekend being easter weekend? I've never seen it say 'not paid' before.
Ashez, did you ever find out why you didn't receive your benefit payment? It has nothing to do with Easter. When is your BYE (year beginning date for unemployment claim, as that could have something to do with it.

Old 05-04-2011, 10:59 AM

7 posts, read 8,191 times
Diorgirl - I need your help please. My question is... I was on unemployment back in 2007 for 2 years - I received all the tiers (I was a 99er). I found a part time job in May 2010, I worked that job for 8 months until they laid me off Jan 2011. I was eligible for unemployment which I am now collecting. My unemployment runs out in June 2011. My question is: Is there an extension that could benefit me when my UI runs out in June of this year? I've been trying to get this info but am not successful. Thank you for your help.

Old 05-11-2011, 04:18 PM

Good article:

If You Are Unemployed, Should You Move Somewhere Else In Order To Find A Job?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment