Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-17-2011, 05:00 AM
C.C

2,235 posts, read 2,363,015 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by las vegas drunk View Post
I have only been unemployed for 2 weeks, so I can only how imagine it would be on my self-esteem if I do not get something soon. I never truly got it how it affects you to be laid off. Now I am starting to get it, and it is not pretty.
Hey LVD sorry to hear you were laid off. At least there are worse places than LV to be unemployed. I've read that tourism and convention traffic are rebounding some although gambling revenue is still weak.

Too bad the days are gone when people with a few thousand$ bankroll could generate a minimum-wage lifestyle playing full-pay video poker...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2011, 12:49 PM

10,494 posts, read 27,244,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by C.C View Post
Hey LVD sorry to hear you were laid off. At least there are worse places than LV to be unemployed. I've read that tourism and convention traffic are rebounding some although gambling revenue is still weak.

Too bad the days are gone when people with a few thousand$ bankroll could generate a minimum-wage lifestyle playing full-pay video poker...
Thanks, yes, it sucks to say the least. I am most likely going to go back to my hometown of Phoenix where the job market is better.

Old 11-17-2011, 06:48 PM

4,585 posts, read 12,365,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by las vegas drunk View Post
I have only been unemployed for 2 weeks, so I can only how imagine it would be on my self-esteem if I do not get something soon. I never truly got it how it affects you to be laid off. Now I am starting to get it, and it is not pretty.
Yes being laid off and unemployed can suck the life out of you...SO...now that that's been said...LOL.

Try to keep to a schedule, that helped me a lot, sitting around in the jammies all day even though your on the 'puter looking for work can become a downer.

LVD if there is absolutely anything I can do for you please let me know, you have been such a supporter of those of us who have been unemployed, I feel we all owe you big time, so please let us know what we can do to help you out!!!

Old 11-17-2011, 07:09 PM

10,494 posts, read 27,244,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReturningWest View Post

LVD if there is absolutely anything I can do for you please let me know, you have been such a supporter of those of us who have been unemployed, I feel we all owe you big time, so please let us know what we can do to help you out!!!
Awww, thanks

Old 11-18-2011, 03:59 PM

1,249 posts, read 2,695,773 times
It is just so depressing sometimes reading the stories of people that are struggling, people that have lost their savings, their homes and everything. It doesn't help very much that I live in CA which is one of the worst states for jobs and I can't move elsewhere due to many reasons. It also doesn't help that we have almost 40 million people living here. It makes me wonder why do people come to CA for jobs when there are 49 other states in the US?

The other thing I'm wondering is how in the heck are today's new college graduates supposed to find halfway decent paying jobs so they could support themselves?? There are lots of things wrong with the US labor market now. Sorry to be so negative as I'm usually really positive most of the time but I felt I had to get this out of my system.

Old 11-20-2011, 07:04 PM

38,892 posts, read 22,875,846 times
I try to have a daily routine where I perform more or less the same tasks at the same time every day. That in itself has helped keep me (somewhat) sane. I do freelance transcription work whenever I can get it, so that helps a little financially, as well as helping to keep my computer skills up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AliveandWell View Post
It doesn't help very much that I live in CA which is one of the worst states for jobs and I can't move elsewhere due to many reasons. It also doesn't help that we have almost 40 million people living here. It makes me wonder why do people come to CA for jobs when there are 49 other states in the US?

I'm in the same situation myself. Actually, I really don't want to move out of California if I can possibly help it. I've lived here all my life and all my immediate family live here, plus I feel I'm too old to start over somewhere else.

Quote:
It makes me wonder why do people come to CA for jobs when there are 49 other states in the US?
It's usually the nice year-round weather we have. It used to be people came out here not only for the weather but for the plentiful jobs. Unfortunately, the jobs have pretty much dried up.

Old 12-14-2011, 05:14 PM

4,585 posts, read 12,365,699 times
LVD How yah doin'??????????????? I'm thinkin' about you...let us know.

Old 12-18-2011, 07:27 AM

36,420 posts, read 16,030,417 times
I'm sick of this. 1 interview in 15 months!! WTH! I know i'm over qualified for most jobs I apply for, although willing to work hard for less. A guy at UE told me last week that they (employers) still think that if you are over qualified, you won't stay! I'm 59 so I think ageism is also a factor in my situation.

Old 12-18-2011, 06:03 PM

1,249 posts, read 2,695,773 times
Hi ReturningWest!

I was and still am one of your supporters and I just thought I might let you know that in spite of this unemployment mess facing this country, I still manage to keep a positive attitude and survive. It is too easy to get sucked into hearing all the bad news. We still apparently had a .02% job creation rate after the last stats came out. Well its better than 0% right?

Last edited by AliveandWell; 12-18-2011 at 06:04 PM.. Reason: spelling error

Old 12-20-2011, 11:04 PM

6,896 posts, read 22,528,515 times
Quote:
I'm just wondering if there are some of you that are still able to hang in there in spite of being officially unemployed or are you losing motivation and hope? I'm doing some web design work(actually have my own website) and I am looking forward to my first check but do not have a real job yet. How many of you are still able to keep going? Just curious because it can be very discouraging to be unemployed long term.
It's hard when you don't know when a check is coming in and all the bills are piling up. I also have a freelance business; as a 1099 ee i've not been eligible for UEB in this recession. Hubby's over a year on UEB now and we will be looking at losing that money probably in weeks. It's been such a ride I don't remember if we're Tier 3 or 4 now but with no action on an extension that stops coming in soon. I held a really good freelance job for over the last year or 2 but that came to a halt 9/30/11. I receive a modest amount from other freelance jobs but its not going to be enough without UEB. It's a rollercoaster ride and its based on when those checks come in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment