Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-19-2010, 10:16 AM

37 posts, read 108,192 times

Advertisements

So we all know that its a REALLY good idea to get your application directly in the hands of the hiring manager so you can hock your wares, because applying to a generic posting online is like throwing a dart the length of a football field and hoping you hit the target, right?

So... Let's hear how you've found out the hiring managers info.

LinkedIn?
Spoke?
Alumni associations?
Industry associations?
Company website?
Facebook?
You know someone who knows someone who knows someone?

Do tell!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2010, 08:33 PM

1,097 posts, read 2,039,076 times
All of the above, online annual statements from larger companies. if the company is traded go to something as simple as yahoo finance, put in the stock symbol, click on news and read, esp the message boards.

Plus the recruiters' best scripts. Call. Be nicely frazzled. Tell the switchboard you are _________ from __________ Consulting. My boss asked me to send some info to the head of xyz department before he flew to Chicago, but I can't find his note. Could you connect me to the admin of that department so I know who to address it to? Sometimes they do. sometimes they just give you the person's name. Sometimes they will try to grill you - in that case, unless you are really into your cover story, you just say "Thanks for your time - I guess I'll just wait till he gets back" .

Can't hurt -- it's not like they will go to the trouble to trace your call. & if you actually worry about that. call from the library.

Or call at midnight and listen thru the menus -- punch 2 for sales and see what their voice mail says. "you have reached Tom Jones , I am away from my desk ........"

Naturally after all this you will be at least a second-rate private detective, hopefully with a job!

Old 11-19-2010, 09:09 PM

935 posts, read 2,405,460 times
After I was laid off in 2009, I went to a college job fair to ask around for potential jobs. Most of the people said to me, "We're not hiring. We're just building up our resume lists for when we do start hiring." One company, a call center, saw my resume and the lady was so impressed she gave me her direct contact information and said, "Send me your resume and I'll see what I can do."

I decided to do a test. I applied for a position via the website and heard nothing from the company. A month later, I mailed my application to the direct address the lady gave me and left to visit some friends. A few days later, I received an e-mail from my parents saying, "She wants to talk to you! They are even willing to wait until you get back on Monday!" I ended up getting the job, but turned it down due to certain issues.

So, I recommend going to career fairs and either asking for a business card or exchanging business cards. Yes, you can have business cards even if you're unemployed, just type a few qualifications on the back of the card. Another way I connected with people was through people I know. Networking can do wonders if you know the right people. Granted, most will probably be too afraid to help you get a job, especially if they're trying to keep their own, but some may be able to help you .

I haven't tried Alumni Associations yet. I know my school came out with a book posting an entire list of alumni contact information. I didn't order it though (stupid, I know). However, I could always try that when I graduate. That's a very good idea.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search