U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 11-21-2010, 12:10 AM
GPC GPC started this thread

985 posts, read 1,461,556 times
Question Entitled to UI after temporary work?

I recently relocated from NY to NC. I quit my job in NY and realized I wouldn't be entitled to UI since I left voluntarily. I recently started a full-time temporary assignment that'll run till the end of March. I'm hoping it'll lead to full-time permanent employment but was wondering if I'd be entitled to UI if it doesn't.

Has anyone been through a similar situation and have some advice?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2010, 07:25 AM

1,828 posts, read 2,862,597 times
If you earn enough and it is a W2 job then yes you will be eligible although it might not be the maximum amount allowed.

Old 11-21-2010, 09:19 AM

3,814 posts, read 7,900,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GPC View Post
I recently relocated from NY to NC. I quit my job in NY and realized I wouldn't be entitled to UI since I left voluntarily. I recently started a full-time temporary assignment that'll run till the end of March. I'm hoping it'll lead to full-time permanent employment but was wondering if I'd be entitled to UI if it doesn't.

Has anyone been through a similar situation and have some advice?

Thanks!
Your eligibility for unemployment benefits will be primarily based on two criteria: (1) the basis on which you are paid; and (b) the length of time you work.

(1) If you are paid via 1099, no contribution will be made by your employer to the state's unemployment insurance fund -- so you will not be eligible to collect UI benefits. You must be paid on a W-2 basis -- for which contributions are made to the unemployment insurance fund.

(2) According to the North Carolina unemployment website:
Quote:
“Base period” is the term used to define the time frame used as the basis for determining whether or not you will be monetarily eligible for unemployment. It is normally the first four of the last five calendar quarters. You must have wages in two of the base period quarters to be monetarily eligible.

Your weekly benefit amount and the number of weeks of entitlement to benefits are based on the wages you were paid and amount of time you worked during your base period. The exact amount of benefits and the duration of those benefits cannot be determined until you actually file your claim for benefits.
https://www.ncesc1.com/individual/we...applyBegin.asp
That means if you work through March 2011, your unemployment eligibility will be based on your earnings during the four quarters of 2010. If you only started work in the 4Q2010, it appears that you will not have worked long enough to qualify for UI. But North Carolina may have an alternative way to calculate your eligibility.

For that reason, you should apply for benefits at that time, and get an official determination from North Carolina on your eligibility.

Old 11-21-2010, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by diorgirl View Post
Your eligibility for unemployment benefits will be primarily based on two criteria: (1) the basis on which you are paid; and (b) the length of time you work.

(1) If you are paid via 1099, no contribution will be made by your employer to the state's unemployment insurance fund -- so you will not be eligible to collect UI benefits. You must be paid on a W-2 basis -- for which contributions are made to the unemployment insurance fund.
I will be paid on a W-2 basis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by diorgirl View Post
(2) According to the North Carolina unemployment website:
That means if you work through March 2011, your unemployment eligibility will be based on your earnings during the four quarters of 2010. If you only started work in the 4Q2010, it appears that you will not have worked long enough to qualify for UI. But North Carolina may have an alternative way to calculate your eligibility.

For that reason, you should apply for benefits at that time, and get an official determination from North Carolina on your eligibility.
I worked full-time in NY for the entire first two quarters of this year. I take it you're saying those earnings won't be counted because they were NY, not NC, earnings?

Old 11-21-2010, 01:13 PM

Quote:
I will be paid on a W-2 basis.

I worked full-time in NY for the entire first two quarters of this year. I take it you're saying those earnings won't be counted because they were NY, not NC, earnings?
You can only claim credit for the New York earnings from New York -- and since you say that you left your job there voluntarily, you won't meet the criteria for unemployment benefits from New York.

It's possible that North Carolina might have a process for factoring those New York earnings into their calculation -- but once they verified with New York that you left that job voluntarily, those NY earnings would not be counted by North Carolina either.

There is no penalty for filing for unemployment benefits -- so if you want to try, you can certainly file a claim with either or both states. I just wouldn't be optimistic about getting credit for the New York work.

Old 03-01-2011, 09:33 PM

I'm bumping up my thread. My temporary assignment was extended through the end of June. Again, I'm still hoping it'll become permanent but this company seems to like stringing people along. Anyway, if my assignment isn't extended past the end of June, would I be eligible to file an unemployment claim in July? I would've worked from mid-November until the end of June at that point...in NC...I worked the first two quarters of 2010 in NY and moved to NC last July. I hope I don't even have to file a claim but I just want to be prepared in case I do.

Thanks!

Old 03-01-2011, 09:57 PM

Quote:
I'm bumping up my thread. My temporary assignment was extended through the end of June. Again, I'm still hoping it'll become permanent but this company seems to like stringing people along. Anyway, if my assignment isn't extended past the end of June, would I be eligible to file an unemployment claim in July? I would've worked from mid-November until the end of June at that point...in NC...I worked the first two quarters of 2010 in NY and moved to NC last July. I hope I don't even have to file a claim but I just want to be prepared in case I do.

Thanks!
Since you voluntarily left your job in New York, you are ineligible for any unemployment benefits relating to that time/earnings there.

As for eligibility for unemployment benefits from North Carolina, that will depend upon your earnings during the calendar quarters that they use for their calculations at the time your assignment ends.

There is a benefits estimator on the state's website which may help: https://www.ncesc1.com/individual/Es...nefitsMain.asp
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment