U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 11-30-2010, 11:59 PM
 
14 posts, read 84,431 times
Reputation: 25

Advertisements

Hi everyone. The store I worked at closed down in August suddenly and I was approved for Unemployment benefits for 26 weeks. This is my first time drawing and I am having a hard time understanding it. My benefits run out in Feb. 2011.

I've read a little bit online about extensions being given. Something called Tiers or such. Can someone please explain what this means? When my 26 weeks are up in Feb. will I be eligible for anything if I still have not found a job? I currently make $191.00 a week and it is enough to keep me floating since my wife went back to work to make up the difference.

Can someone please let me know what the deal is? I am a lost soul on all this and am beginning to be worried since the job search is still in the dumps. Please help. Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 12-01-2010, 08:00 AM
 
Location: New Jersey
3,814 posts, read 8,001,475 times
Reputation: 916
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdlee View Post
Hi everyone. The store I worked at closed down in August suddenly and I was approved for Unemployment benefits for 26 weeks. This is my first time drawing and I am having a hard time understanding it. My benefits run out in Feb. 2011.

I've read a little bit online about extensions being given. Something called Tiers or such. Can someone please explain what this means? When my 26 weeks are up in Feb. will I be eligible for anything if I still have not found a job? I currently make $191.00 a week and it is enough to keep me floating since my wife went back to work to make up the difference.

Can someone please let me know what the deal is? I am a lost soul on all this and am beginning to be worried since the job search is still in the dumps. Please help. Thank you.
The maximum number of weeks of unemployment benefits which have been available is 99:
• Regular benefits
- up to 26 weeks
• EUC Tier I
- up to 20 weeks
• EUC Tier II
- up to 14 weeks
• EUC Tier III
- up to 13 weeks (state must have a three-month average unemployment rate of at least 6%).
• EUC Tier IV - up to 6 weeks (state must have a three-month average unemployment rate of at least 8.5%).
• EB - up to 13 weeks (state must have a three-month average unemployment rate of at least 6%).
• High EB - up to an additional 7 weeks (state must have a three-month average unemployment rate of at least 8%).

How many of these weeks you will be able to collect depends on which of these levels of benefits is still in existence at the time you exhaust your regular benefits.

At this time, the eligibility cut-off dates for the EUC Tiers have passed -- so new claimants cannot qualify for Tier I, and no one collecting a Tier can move on to the next Tier. In addition, the 100% federal funding for EB has also expired -- and Tennessee will be phasing out that level of benefit by December 4, 2010.

It's hard to predict with any certainty right now what Congress will do next -- whether they will extend the federal unemployment benefits, and if so for how long. Just be certain to check your state's UI website in your state for changes to the benefits that they will be offering and the eligibility requirements.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-01-2010, 12:17 PM
 
4 posts, read 29,945 times
Reputation: 12
I am in Tennessee also and it's horrible. Right now, the TN unemployment rate is 9.4% last time I looked. It's terrible in the town I live in- I've applied to about 90% of every establishment here in the last 15 months with zero luck.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-01-2010, 11:01 PM
 
14 posts, read 84,431 times
Reputation: 25
Thank you for the responses. I really hope that come Feb. 2011 when my initial 26 weeks worth of benefits end that they have some new extensions in place just in case I cannot find a job by then.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-27-2011, 08:00 AM
 
1 posts, read 25,632 times
Reputation: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by diorgirl View Post
The maximum number of weeks of unemployment benefits which have been available is 99:
• Regular benefits
- up to 26 weeks
• EUC Tier I
- up to 20 weeks
• EUC Tier II
- up to 14 weeks
• EUC Tier III
- up to 13 weeks (state must have a three-month average unemployment rate of at least 6%).
• EUC Tier IV - up to 6 weeks (state must have a three-month average unemployment rate of at least 8.5%).
• EB - up to 13 weeks (state must have a three-month average unemployment rate of at least 6%).
• High EB - up to an additional 7 weeks (state must have a three-month average unemployment rate of at least 8%).

How many of these weeks you will be able to collect depends on which of these levels of benefits is still in existence at the time you exhaust your regular benefits.

At this time, the eligibility cut-off dates for the EUC Tiers have passed -- so new claimants cannot qualify for Tier I, and no one collecting a Tier can move on to the next Tier. In addition, the 100% federal funding for EB has also expired -- and Tennessee will be phasing out that level of benefit by December 4, 2010.

It's hard to predict with any certainty right now what Congress will do next -- whether they will extend the federal unemployment benefits, and if so for how long. Just be certain to check your state's UI website in your state for changes to the benefits that they will be offering and the eligibility requirements.
updated 2/15/2011

[url=http://www.tn.gov/labor-wfd/unemployment_ExtendedBenefits_Feb2011.html]Welcome - Tennessee Department of Labor and Workforce Development[/url]

UNEMPLOYMENT INSURANCE COMPENSATION UPDATE


The Phase-Out of EUC08 has moved to the end of 2011

The Unites States Congress passed a bill that moved the phase-out period for Emergency Unemployment Compensation (EUC08) to the end of 2011. The bill became law on Friday, December 17, 2010.

In Tennessee, there are four tiers of benefits to the EUC08 program. The passage of this bill means that eligible claimants who exhaust regular UI benefits are still able to move to EUC Tier One. As claimants exhaust each Tier, they will be automatically transitioned to the next Tier. Lastly, Tier Four exhaustees will be eligible for Federal-State Extended benefits (EB).

This most recent legislation does not add benefits for claimants who have exhausted all entitlement. There are no new Tiers. Also, the last week that the $25 additional payment (FAC) could have been paid was the week of December 5-11, 2010. The new EUC08 legislation did not reinstate the $25 additional weekly payment.

If you are reviewing this site and are newly unemployed, you may file a claim for benefits at [url]https://ui.tn.gov[/url] and click on “Apply for Unemployment” or call toll-free at 1-877-813-0950. (For claimants in the Nashville area, please call 253-0800.) Also, most of the local Tennessee Career Centers can provide one-on-one unemployment claims assistance for many issues.

Remember, if you have not yet updated your Dependents information, please click on [url]https://ui.tn.gov[/url], click on "View Benefits/Update Information", click "Continue", complete Log In Screen, click "Login" and follow prompts. It is important to carefully read the definition of a dependent before typing in the number of dependents.

Please continue to visit this website for periodic updates and additional information .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-14-2011, 06:55 PM
 
3 posts, read 71,691 times
Reputation: 16
Default need help

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdlee View Post
Hi everyone. The store I worked at closed down in August suddenly and I was approved for Unemployment benefits for 26 weeks. This is my first time drawing and I am having a hard time understanding it. My benefits run out in Feb. 2011.

I've read a little bit online about extensions being given. Something called Tiers or such. Can someone please explain what this means? When my 26 weeks are up in Feb. will I be eligible for anything if I still have not found a job? I currently make $191.00 a week and it is enough to keep me floating since my wife went back to work to make up the difference.

Can someone please let me know what the deal is? I am a lost soul on all this and am beginning to be worried since the job search is still in the dumps. Please help. Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-14-2011, 07:00 PM
 
3 posts, read 71,691 times
Reputation: 16
I lost my job September 2009, and haven't been able to find anything. So I decided to go back to school.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-14-2011, 07:06 PM
 
3 posts, read 71,691 times
Reputation: 16
Default Trying to summit claim

where are the questions online regarding weeks EB was not payable?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-14-2011, 08:10 PM
 
Location: Wisconsin
14,157 posts, read 18,601,021 times
Reputation: 6728
Quote:
Originally Posted by barbara evans View Post
where are the questions online regarding weeks EB was not payable?
Explain your situation. What are you trying to do?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-21-2011, 02:56 PM
 
1 posts, read 23,722 times
Reputation: 10
Great information, thanks. My 26 weeks are up end of July...question: what do I have to do to then go on the EUC, as I've found nothing yet??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top