Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-02-2010, 10:13 AM

17 posts, read 115,305 times

Advertisements

Hi, My apologies if this question has been asked before. I'm in NJ and have been laid off since 2008 and have exhausted all of my tiers (or so I thought). I claimed what I assumed would be my last week of unemployment and was informed I will be receiving another 20 weeks. All of my records show me to be a 99er. Is there another extension I'm unaware of? Or am I just keeping BAD records. Trust me, I'm GRATEFUL of this extension, I just need to know how I made such a mistake....

Last edited by samhill08642; 12-02-2010 at 10:31 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2010, 10:52 AM

1,252 posts, read 3,485,107 times
Default New Jersey Unemployment

Quote:
Originally Posted by samhill08642 View Post
Hi, My apologies if this question has been asked before. I have been laid off since 2008 and have exhausted all of my tiers (or so I thought). I claimed what I assumed would be my last week of unemployment and was informed I will be receiving another 20 weeks. All of my records show me to be a 99er. Is there another extension I'm unaware of? Or am I just keeping BAD records. Trust me, I'm GRATEFUL of this extension, I just need to know how I made such a mistake....
New Jersey Unemployment
There are FOUR Federal EUC Tiers. NJ mails out a benefit determination for each one of them, do you have each one?

How were you informed of 20 more weeks? By MAIL? Did you receive a benefit determination (called an award letter in other States)? Does it say EXTENDED BENEFITS on it?

Why do your records show you to be a 99er? You would not have 20 more weeks if you were.

NEW JERSEY UNEMPLOYMENT BENEFITS
1. State Benefits - up to 26 weeks
then
FEDERAL EMERGENCY UNEMPLOYMENT COMPENSATION
2. Federal EUC Tier I - up to 20 weeks
3. Federal EUC Tier II - up to 14 weeks
4. Federal EUC Tier III - up to 13 weeks
5. Federal EUC Tier IV - up to 6 weeks
then
STATE EXTENDED BENEFITS
6. State Extended Benefits (EB) - up to 20 weeks

New Jersey Unemployment

Old 12-02-2010, 01:28 PM

17 posts, read 115,305 times
Thanks Wannabee, you cleared it up for me. I never actually counted the weeks, and knew nothing about the 20 weeks of Emergency Benefits after tier 4. I just ASSUMED (i know, i know) that tier 4 was 99 weeks and the end. I worked on and off throughout the claim period which extended it and made it seem like it was 99 weeks. Thanks again!

Old 12-02-2010, 01:43 PM

141 posts, read 362,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by samhill08642 View Post
Hi, My apologies if this question has been asked before. I'm in NJ and have been laid off since 2008 and have exhausted all of my tiers (or so I thought). I claimed what I assumed would be my last week of unemployment and was informed I will be receiving another 20 weeks. All of my records show me to be a 99er. Is there another extension I'm unaware of? Or am I just keeping BAD records. Trust me, I'm GRATEFUL of this extension, I just need to know how I made such a mistake....
If you've been laid off in 2008, you must have not collected UC all the time because we're already 100 weeks past the end of 2008. People who have been laid-off at the end of 2008 have already exhausted all their benefits, including EB.

Old 12-02-2010, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by plenewken View Post
If you've been laid off in 2008, you must have not collected UC all the time because we're already 100 weeks past the end of 2008. People who have been laid-off at the end of 2008 have already exhausted all their benefits, including EB.
Not if they didn't qualify for the full amount of weeks (prorated benefits) and also not if they had enough P/T earnings during unemployment to reduce their weekly benefit amount and not if there were weeks with no benefit at all due stalled legislation.

Many times your actual calendar weeks are way more than 99 consecutive weeks. I got the full amount of weeks, had no P/T earnings that would have reduced my check amount (thereby stretching out my balance for more weeks), and it still took me 117 weeks to collect 99 weeks. HTH.

Old 12-02-2010, 03:05 PM

141 posts, read 362,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wannabee View Post
Not if they didn't qualify for the full amount of weeks (prorated benefits) and also not if they had enough P/T earnings during unemployment to reduce their weekly benefit amount and not if there were weeks with no benefit at all due stalled legislation.

Many times your actual calendar weeks are way more than 99 consecutive weeks. I got the full amount of weeks, had no P/T earnings that would have reduced my check amount (thereby stretching out my balance for more weeks), and it still took me 117 weeks to collect 99 weeks. HTH.
How come? Legislation hasn't been stalled for 18 weeks.

Old 12-02-2010, 03:39 PM

Default New Jersey Unemployment

In early 2009, there was only regular UI, Tier I, and Tier II, and then Extended Benefits (EB) in NJ.
EB was exhausted at the end of August 2009 for many. It wasn't until late November 2009 that they started making Tier III and Tier IV payments and they were certainly not retroactive. Originally Tier I was only for 13 weeks but then they added 7 more weeks to make it 20 weeks and there was a short gap in benefits at that time as well.

For others without gaps, another reason that the amount of consecutive weeks unemployed can be greater than the number of benefit weeks is P/T work during unemployment.
They give you 52 weeks of time to use up your initial 26 week benefit amount. Let's say you are collecting and working P/T. Your benefit is $300, but if you also work P/T in NJ, they will deduct your gross earnings from $360 (yes, 20% more - this percentage varies from State to State). You could earn $60 and still get a full benefit check. Other weeks your earnings may have been $160, which means you would get a $200 benefit that week. You just use the balance up at a slower pace, that's all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment