U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
 
Old 12-07-2010, 03:28 PM
 
5 posts, read 1,130 times
Reputation: 10

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by diorgirl View Post
Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid (D-Nev.), Speaker of the House Nancy Pelosi (D-Ca.), and House Majority Leader Steny Hoyer (D-Md.) all publicly commented today that the tax cut/unemployment extensions deal is "not done" -- signaling continued resistance to the President's plan by Democrats in both chambers.

Obama defends tax deal while Reid seeks changes - Yahoo! News (http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20101207/ap_on_bi_ge/us_tax_cuts_126 - broken link)
Pelosi attacks Obama-GOP tax plan as House Democrats signal fight - TheHill.com
Your not lying, Dems are fuming over this proposed deal .. we are in trouble people !!!

http://www.politicsdaily.com/2010/12..._lnk1%7C188655
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 12-07-2010, 03:31 PM
 
180 posts, read 213,491 times
Reputation: 103
Well I've stopped reading all the reports. Most of it is personal opinions or blog like News Reports regardless of the source. What I do know, is, the Democrats have openly commented on both CNN and MSNBC that they are willing to take this fight into January if they have to.

Boy....that's a brilliant move .............

I can't even begin to explain how .... .... I am right now!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-07-2010, 06:46 PM
 
Location: Ocean County, NJ
621 posts, read 1,182,385 times
Reputation: 181
There is a lotof democratic opposition on this bill. This is going to get very ugly/

I personally don;t think it's going to go into Jan. But it could linger for another week. Obama is right, this is the best deal that can be made at this time. If they wait until January, they will be significantly weakened (dems) and will not get the same deal. Dems are acting like this is a permanent extension. It's not. They should have done something about this many months ago. They only have themselves to blame. The middle class and unemployed should not be collateral damage for a political fight. Not when the unemployment rate is going up and the economy is still on a see-saw

Last edited by Tuck91NYG; 12-07-2010 at 06:58 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-07-2010, 07:05 PM
 
180 posts, read 213,491 times
Reputation: 103
Both sides are equally to blame! They have food in the fridge, a roof over their heads, enough money in their bank accounts to buy their kids and grankids a new Mazaradi for Christmas. So what if this goes into January or beyond, no sweat off their backs. Been listening to their commentarys on CNN and MSNBC, it's like listening to a cut a paste. SAD !!!!!!!!

Obama was the ONLY figure that was able to reach a compromise, now his own party wants to block it. The opposition will not budge to any more compromises, this was our only hope. Simply amazing!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-07-2010, 07:21 PM
 
118 posts, read 292,625 times
Reputation: 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuck91NYG View Post
The middle class and unemployed should not be collateral damage for a political fight.
The thing is, they're collateral damage whether the proposed legislation passes or not. If it doesn't pass, the unemployed (at least those who haven't already exhausted 99 weeks) get screwed. But if it does pass, we get screwed anyway because the other half of the legislation extends tax cuts that promote long-term redistribution of wealth upwards.

I am currently receiving unemployment and the tier I'm on will run out in January without an extension. At that point I will have no income and no prospects. Yet, still, I just can't support any proposal that barters a continuation of my paltry benefits for extensions of Bush's tax cuts that will not only harm me but poor people across the country and around the world and long-term hopes for a more just society.

These issues are important and we shouldn't be fooled into ignoring them just becuase our own comfort is also threatened. They're trying to trick us.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-07-2010, 07:33 PM
 
Location: Ocean County, NJ
621 posts, read 1,182,385 times
Reputation: 181
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweater Fish View Post
The thing is, they're collateral damage whether the proposed legislation passes or not. If it doesn't pass, the unemployed (at least those who haven't already exhausted 99 weeks) get screwed. But if it does pass, we get screwed anyway because the other half of the legislation extends tax cuts that promote long-term redistribution of wealth upwards.

I am currently receiving unemployment and the tier I'm on will run out in January without an extension. At that point I will have no income and no prospects. Yet, still, I just can't support any proposal that barters a continuation of my paltry benefits for extensions of Bush's tax cuts that will not only harm me but poor people across the country and around the world and long-term hopes for a more just society.

These issues are important and we shouldn't be fooled into ignoring them just becuase our own comfort is also threatened. They're trying to trick us.
So a stalemate that will lead to millions of people off unemployment and the middle class paying about 200-300 dollars more a month in taxes is the answer? No one wants to be responsible for that. Right now it's a game of chicken. I'm willing to bet that a lot of these Democrats are providing lip service so that they can go back to their constituants and rant on how they had to vote yes or watch as his/her constituants would have their taxes raised and unemployment cutoff. A lot of them did that with the healthcare bill and some with the TARP and stimulus bills.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-07-2010, 07:43 PM
 
180 posts, read 213,491 times
Reputation: 103
I don't think it's a game of chicken, it never was. The Republicans have had the upper hand throughout this entire debacle and Obama is the only person that has the wisdom to see this. He knows that a compromise is our only chance.

This was one of the things I've always admired about Bill Clinton, he was a master of knowing when to compromise. Like I said, make a compromise today, live and fight another day.

Getting these tiers passed BEFORE January is essential to the 99ers. without tiers 1 thru 4 there will be NO tier 5, think about it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-07-2010, 07:59 PM
 
118 posts, read 292,625 times
Reputation: 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuck91NYG View Post
So a stalemate that will lead to millions of people off unemployment and the middle class paying about 200-300 dollars more a month in taxes is the answer?
What you just said is misleading for two reasons.

First, the tax cuts for middle and lower classes are not really at stake here. Obama and I think ost democrats have always supported the extension of cuts for the lower tax brackets. The real issue is those people making over $200,000 a year, so what we're talking about is upper class people paying, say, $1750 per month less in taxes (that's just one example: a top 1% earner who takes home $500,000 per year), plus other breaks like the estate tax that benefit that same upper percentile group.

Second, and much more importantly, neither passing nor rejecting this legislation is "the answer" and that's what we have to keep in mind. Don't fall for false dilemmas.

Quote:
No one wants to be responsible for that. Right now it's a game of chicken. I'm willing to bet that a lot of these Democrats are providing lip service so that they can go back to their constituants and rant on how they had to vote yes or watch as his/her constituants would have their taxes raised and unemployment cutoff. A lot of them did that with the healthcare bill and some with the TARP and stimulus bills.
Agreed. I am not defending the actions of any of these politicians. I don't believe that they are on the right side no matter which side of this particular debate they fall on. The fact that they have manufactured this legislation as their thing to debate proves that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-07-2010, 09:42 PM
 
1,097 posts, read 900,794 times
Reputation: 1507
I honestly personally know unemployed people at various stages of the line, who hate this compromise. Granted most of them have been on the ride for more than 26 stops, but all of them resent being used in this manner - tying the 2 issues together. Many of them have said to just say no to extending the cuts, benefits be damned. I find that an amazing testament to the depth of anger out there against the blatant preference that $ can buy & feeling like pawns in a rigged chess game.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-07-2010, 10:15 PM
 
Location: Wisconsin
14,391 posts, read 19,231,273 times
Reputation: 6888
Quote:
Originally Posted by nj185 View Post
I honestly personally know unemployed people at various stages of the line, who hate this compromise. Granted most of them have been on the ride for more than 26 stops, but all of them resent being used in this manner - tying the 2 issues together. Many of them have said to just say no to extending the cuts, benefits be damned. I find that an amazing testament to the depth of anger out there against the blatant preference that $ can buy & feeling like pawns in a rigged chess game.
That's my opinion, exactly, and I am collecting EUC, too. This is an unnecessary giveway and extremely detrimental financially. In two years, the issue of tax cuts will be revisited again. GOP never intended ten years ago to let these roll back to Clinton era tax rates. Never. Caller into NPR today said Obama needs to take a class in Negotiating 101. They don't know the meaning of the word hardball.

This Admin is a disgrace. Health care w/no public option and what is there won't be funded - the GOP will see to that, giveaway on tax cuts for the rich, toothless financial regs, no prosecution of the banksters. Corporations sitting on trillions and still beating their employees over the head on wage cuts, casual workers, no benes, you name it. Rich today have 5 times more wealth than they did eight years ago, and yet we play footsie with them. Almost makes one think this a GOP govt wearing the Dem label. I am really getting scared for the next two years. What's next?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top