Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2010, 12:31 AM

1,881 posts, read 3,352,223 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
But are you really hiring?

Many places put up signs to get a pool of applications, people go in thinking they have a chance, only to find out the place is only collecting applications.

Lots of places are in a wait and see mode. In fact many of the major chains including Walmart did not hire for the Holiday season.
i have found that to be true. people announcing "now accepting applications" but "not hiring". its like they want to have a large pool of people to pluck from so they can winnow out the people who complain when their pay gets cut to the bone. that has happened to alot of friends of mine- they get a job, only to get a paycut, and then the guys just go back to the labor pool and hire people with the greatest need which unfortunately often translates to the lowest standards. beggars can't be choosers and employers know this. its disgusting also how many internships are suddenly available. there have always been a few, but now at least 20 percent of the postings up at least on craigslist are for internships. which are, by the way, illegal. all these swanky shops and "top drawer" production companies who act like they are doing you a favor by letting you work for them for free, with no promise of employment after.

and the hard part about looking for work in the chain stores is that often now it isn't applications- its kiosks. go up to the kiosk and fill out an app. and so you never get a chance to even write a great cover letter, get face time to impress someone- you are just a number, and its like winning the lottery.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2010, 12:44 AM

6,612 posts, read 12,839,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nighthouse66 View Post
i have found that to be true. people announcing "now accepting applications" but "not hiring". its like they want to have a large pool of people to pluck from so they can winnow out the people who complain when their pay gets cut to the bone. that has happened to alot of friends of mine- they get a job, only to get a paycut, and then the guys just go back to the labor pool and hire people with the greatest need which unfortunately often translates to the lowest standards. beggars can't be choosers and employers know this. its disgusting also how many internships are suddenly available. there have always been a few, but now at least 20 percent of the postings up at least on craigslist are for internships. which are, by the way, illegal. all these swanky shops and "top drawer" production companies who act like they are doing you a favor by letting you work for them for free, with no promise of employment after.

and the hard part about looking for work in the chain stores is that often now it isn't applications- its kiosks. go up to the kiosk and fill out an app. and so you never get a chance to even write a great cover letter, get face time to impress someone- you are just a number, and its like winning the lottery.
Not to mention the stupid "tests" a lot of the big chains and box stores have as a "pre-screening" now.

As to the rest, eventually employers will rediscover an old truth - pay peanuts and you'll just get monkeys.

Old 12-07-2010, 08:20 AM

3,814 posts, read 11,975,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Westcoa22 View Post
What is interesting is that the news states the extension is for the "Longer term unemployed" or people who have been unemployed the longest...This would make me think that the people who have already exhausted their 99 weeks are first in line for this newest extension?? But yes, they haven't spelled it out clearly yet so we have to wait until they do before we assume a tier V is not included.
Just FYI, the government definition of "long-term" or "longer term" unemployed is being jobless -- and seeking work -- for six months or more. Essentially, it includes anyone who exhausts regular benefits (26 weeks). And main stream media has adopted that definition.

Old 12-07-2010, 09:32 AM

141 posts, read 362,555 times
Quote:
What is interesting is that the news states the extension is for the "Longer term unemployed" or people who have been unemployed the longest...This would make me think that the people who have already exhausted their 99 weeks are first in line for this newest extension?? But yes, they haven't spelled it out clearly yet so we have to wait until they do before we assume a tier V is not included.
Long term starts at 26 weeks and there's no provision whatsoever for the people having exhausted their 99 weeks of UC. Sad but true.

Old 12-07-2010, 10:32 AM

3 posts, read 7,571 times
It's pointless to blame all 99'rs for not trying to find work. I'm sure there are many who do take advantage of their benefits but I'm also sure there are many more who have done everything in their power to find work on all levels. When you run out of money it makes it that more difficult to search because you need to eat, sleep, make phone calls and drive, all while maintaining a positive attitude. This alone is difficult on the small UE benefit most make ever two weeks and is incentive enough to make you want to find a job. It almost seems that people think the benefit is almost equal to your normal pay?? It makes much more sense to add a tier 5 for those that need it the most and have depleted their life's savings rather than the recent unemployed who most likely have a savings built up.

Old 12-07-2010, 11:17 AM

141 posts, read 362,555 times
Quote:
It's pointless to blame all 99'rs for not trying to find work. I'm sure there are many who do take advantage of their benefits but I'm also sure there are many more who have done everything in their power to find work on all levels. When you run out of money it makes it that more difficult to search because you need to eat, sleep, make phone calls and drive, all while maintaining a positive attitude. This alone is difficult on the small UE benefit most make ever two weeks and is incentive enough to make you want to find a job. It almost seems that people think the benefit is almost equal to your normal pay?? It makes much more sense to add a tier 5 for those that need it the most and have depleted their life's savings rather than the recent unemployed who most likely have a savings built up.
IMO, it makes more sense to help ALL unemployed, not one fraction over the other. The more people receive UC, the more $$$ is spent and the better it is for the economy.
Extending UC benefits for 13 months, when they've never been extended for more than 2 or 3 months at a time, is the confirmation that the job market is worse than it was 12 months ago, and it's not going to get better anytime soon.

Old 12-07-2010, 01:20 PM

2 posts, read 1,943 times
i am in california and have had terrible trouble finding work. if I even GET an interview the interviewer ASSURES me that they got 300 to over a 1000 applicants for ONE job. I can't even GET an interview 9 times out of 10 (or less!!!). A lot of companies are turning more favorable to hispanics and less to other races, even black people and that's not racist it's just true in California. This is the group being more sought after for equality purposes and there are a heck of a lot of them so for lesser jobs there is NO WAY I will get it. When I interviewed for some lower paying jobs I got told I was overqualified having been a private school teacher. The only job I have been actually OFFERED is one that I am gonna take despite the fact that I couldn't even pay half my rent with it! At least it's something for now so I don't have to feel like a cretin that can't get a job! It's impossible out here.

I even went to Universal Studios! Had a great interview, got told I would be called back to group interview for something and they never did. And like the kiosk situation there was NO contact information, no way I could reach these people to even follow up! I got an interview for a part time parking attendant job. They look at someone like me who has worked in a more intellectual field and feel threatened or something! I can't win for losing and I didn't have enough money to finish my credential so I can't even get back into the education system. I'm just stuck. I tried to do job training but it was a complete farce! Literally I don't know what to do but leave California and that is what it is gonna come to. It hurts so bad but I've thought about suicide every day since this recession hit so I guess something has to give. For certain people in California, there are no jobs. Sorry for any typos, I have carpal tunnel.

Old 12-09-2010, 02:19 AM

1,881 posts, read 3,352,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hollywoodhoney View Post
i am in california and have had terrible trouble finding work. if I even GET an interview the interviewer ASSURES me that they got 300 to over a 1000 applicants for ONE job. I can't even GET an interview 9 times out of 10 (or less!!!). A lot of companies are turning more favorable to hispanics and less to other races, even black people and that's not racist it's just true in California. This is the group being more sought after for equality purposes and there are a heck of a lot of them so for lesser jobs there is NO WAY I will get it. When I interviewed for some lower paying jobs I got told I was overqualified having been a private school teacher. The only job I have been actually OFFERED is one that I am gonna take despite the fact that I couldn't even pay half my rent with it! At least it's something for now so I don't have to feel like a cretin that can't get a job! It's impossible out here.

I even went to Universal Studios! Had a great interview, got told I would be called back to group interview for something and they never did. And like the kiosk situation there was NO contact information, no way I could reach these people to even follow up! I got an interview for a part time parking attendant job. They look at someone like me who has worked in a more intellectual field and feel threatened or something! I can't win for losing and I didn't have enough money to finish my credential so I can't even get back into the education system. I'm just stuck. I tried to do job training but it was a complete farce! Literally I don't know what to do but leave California and that is what it is gonna come to. It hurts so bad but I've thought about suicide every day since this recession hit so I guess something has to give. For certain people in California, there are no jobs. Sorry for any typos, I have carpal tunnel.
i am definitely feeling the same way. i love diversity, i know that there are or were imbalances and injustices that continue on today re. race. i am from the south. i think we may have INVENTED racism. i have no problem with people speaking whatever language. i lived in east LA for a year and i loved it. i got no beef that way. but still, increasingly, most jobs are asking that you be bilingual. hell, some of em want you to speak mandarin. therein lies the curse of living in a diverse city- if you don't know another language you get pushed out. i am certainly not putting it all down to that, but if i were not the person i am, it may be the sort of thing that would really, really tick me off. luckily, i don't think that way and i have begun learning some spanish, which i think every american would be smart to do.

but seriously, there is no extension for the 99ers. what the hell do people think 5 million people who lose all benefits are going to do? really? i mean, i am lucky. i got a van i can sleep in (and believe you me, i have- i was homeless for four months), its paid for and my insurance i make sure to pay in 6 month increments. got no debt, no credit cards, no kids, not even any pets or furniture. i can't even IMAGINE how other people with credit cards and kids and mortgages have fared. when my last couple checks are on their way i will have to say goodbye, so that i can afford the gas to drive back home to GA, 2200 miles with all my possessions. and i am lucky to have that. its just starting to seem like detroit here in LA. its getting a little creepy. target didn't even hire for the holdiay season. they have GOT TO PASS AN EXTENSION FOR THE 99ers or else its really GONNA seem like the great depression.

Old 12-11-2010, 07:41 PM

1 posts, read 1,164 times
Default Confused Also!

Hello All,

Ok, by the middle of February I will have reached 73 weeks and before the new extension I was told that is it no more benefits but with the new extension does this mean I will continue getting benefits and I assume will it be until the max comes which is the 99 weeks?

Old 12-18-2010, 07:24 AM

1 posts, read 1,058 times
If I have used all 99 weeks, and are on the state extension. Will this effect me?
[email]parmenteradamr@yahoo.com[/email]
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment