Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-08-2010, 11:45 PM

37 posts, read 97,435 times

Advertisements

An ex co worker of mine is now running around like a chicken with her head cut off, caught completely by surprise that her unemployment benefits are stopping. I told her over and over that she'd better verify with EDD where she stood--but she insisted that she was getting paid until April. Now...she got a letter from EDD telling her different.

Anyway, I digress. My question for our well versed experts here: When she started benefits 9 months ago she was docked for 9 weeks right off the bat. Apparently she had claimed benefits the year before and ended up submitting a claim form and getting paid unemployment benefits for the first week she actually got her first paycheck, also. Double dipped so to speak. EDD, needless to say, found out and dinged her accordingly. She had to submit claim forms for 9 weeks but did not get any benefits until her 10th week in, as punishment.

Do you think they are basing her tiers on the first date she actually started claiming...or from the date she actually started receiving payments? Does this make sense?

Thanks for any help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2010, 11:56 PM

580 posts, read 2,292,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheisconfused View Post
An ex co worker of mine is now running around like a chicken with her head cut off, caught completely by surprise that her unemployment benefits are stopping. I told her over and over that she'd better verify with EDD where she stood--but she insisted that she was getting paid until April. Now...she got a letter from EDD telling her different.

Anyway, I digress. My question for our well versed experts here: When she started benefits 9 months ago she was docked for 9 weeks right off the bat. Apparently she had claimed benefits the year before and ended up submitting a claim form and getting paid unemployment benefits for the first week she actually got her first paycheck, also. Double dipped so to speak. EDD, needless to say, found out and dinged her accordingly. She had to submit claim forms for 9 weeks but did not get any benefits until her 10th week in, as punishment.

Do you think they are basing her tiers on the first date she actually started claiming...or from the date she actually started receiving payments? Does this make sense?

Thanks for any help.
It is from the date she started receiving payments. You must exhaust all the money in your current tier before you can move to the next. I don't think she should worry about it though. There is talk about extending the deadline 13 months.

Old 12-09-2010, 09:54 AM

37 posts, read 97,435 times
She was informed this a.m. that they base it off of the weeks actually paid, not when she first filed the claim.

Old 12-09-2010, 10:55 AM

1,252 posts, read 3,484,345 times
Default EUC Benefit Weeks vs. Calendar Weeks

Quote:
Originally Posted by frizzo100 View Post
You must exhaust all the money in your current tier before you can move to the next.
This is exactly it. The actual amount of calendar weeks can vary. It's all about how long it takes to get to $0.00 in your account.

EUC Tier I is up to 20 weeks
BUT
could be less than 20 weeks
IF
you qualified for less than 26 weeks of State Benefits (all Tiers are prorated)

EUC Tier I
could be more than 20 weeks
IF
you are currently working part-time
AND
you are only receiving partial benefits

EUC Tier I
could be exactly 20 weeks
IF
you receive your full benefit check for each certification (weekly/bi-weekly)

Clear? or Clear as mud?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment