Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2010, 09:58 AM

15,128 posts, read 32,311,390 times

Advertisements

I recently interviewed for a seasonal receptionist job for H&R Block. I have a friend that does taxes for them every year, and she put in a word for me. I interviewed with the District Manager, and she asked me which offices I was interested in working in. I gave her the locations, and said that I preferred to stay as close to home as possible due to the high cost of gas, and the fact that I take public transporation most of the time to save money.

Yesterday, via email, I got a job offer, but it was in a location that I didn't choose, and inaccessible by public transportation. When I was called yesterday afternoon and wanted to know why I hadn't signed my hiring papers, I told the woman on the phone that I couldn't afford to drive there, there was limited public transporation weekdays, and none on the weekends. I told her that I had interviewed with another District, and she said that they already had hiring papers on me. I told again that I couldn't afford to work in that location, and she said, "So you're not planning to work in our district?" I repeated for the third time what I just told her, and she said that she'll let them know.

My friend is all bent out of shape because I didn't accept it, but I told her in the beginning that I couldn't afford to drive that far.

I also had an interview with another District Office, and they have locations close to where live. So I should know by Thursday afternoon if I'm selected for one of those.

My gas budget is $40-$50 per month, but I use public transporation most of the time. My bus pass is $18, and it makes a big difference.

Should I anticipate a problem with EDD because this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2010, 10:31 AM

1,252 posts, read 3,484,528 times
Default Don't Ask, Don't Tell?

Dumb questions here.
How would EDD know you applied, were interviewed, and received an offer?
How would they know you declined it?

Old 12-15-2010, 10:37 AM

11,758 posts, read 14,646,068 times
I assume EDD is your state unemployment compensation office?

It's definitely possibly you'll have problems. When you report you are probably required to list all your job contacts, and they may directly ask you if you've gotten or rejected any job offers. If they do ask, do not lie about it. You may find yourself disqualified for failing to accept a bona fide offer of suitable employment, but you also will have the chance to prove why it wasn't suitable employment. On the other hand, if you lie about what happened you may be disqualified, hit with fraud charges, disqualified for longer. Overall not a good idea.

Old 12-15-2010, 10:46 AM

580 posts, read 2,292,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moved View Post
I recently interviewed for a seasonal receptionist job for H&R Block. I have a friend that does taxes for them every year, and she put in a word for me. I interviewed with the District Manager, and she asked me which offices I was interested in working in. I gave her the locations, and said that I preferred to stay as close to home as possible due to the high cost of gas, and the fact that I take public transporation most of the time to save money.

Yesterday, via email, I got a job offer, but it was in a location that I didn't choose, and inaccessible by public transportation. When I was called yesterday afternoon and wanted to know why I hadn't signed my hiring papers, I told the woman on the phone that I couldn't afford to drive there, there was limited public transporation weekdays, and none on the weekends. I told her that I had interviewed with another District, and she said that they already had hiring papers on me. I told again that I couldn't afford to work in that location, and she said, "So you're not planning to work in our district?" I repeated for the third time what I just told her, and she said that she'll let them know.

My friend is all bent out of shape because I didn't accept it, but I told her in the beginning that I couldn't afford to drive that far.

I also had an interview with another District Office, and they have locations close to where live. So I should know by Thursday afternoon if I'm selected for one of those.

My gas budget is $40-$50 per month, but I use public transporation most of the time. My bus pass is $18, and it makes a big difference.

It depends on how far it is. You are not allowed to turn down a reasonable job offer. What is a reasonable job offer? I really don't know but I would imagine it would be based on what your previous earnings were, how far you commute is and what your new job offer pays. It would be up to the unemployment office to make this determination. The easiest solution to this problem is to not tell them.

Old 12-15-2010, 10:49 AM

4,399 posts, read 10,667,398 times
Quote:

How far was the job from your present location? If it was like 200 miles, probably no problem. If it was 10-30 problems yea you could have some problems, if you answer the questions I assume you get every week or every couple weeks to stay certified. Ie have you refused work.

Old 12-15-2010, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackmccullough View Post
I assume EDD is your state unemployment compensation office?

It's definitely possibly you'll have problems. When you report you are probably required to list all your job contacts, and they may directly ask you if you've gotten or rejected any job offers. If they do ask, do not lie about it. You may find yourself disqualified for failing to accept a bona fide offer of suitable employment, but you also will have the chance to prove why it wasn't suitable employment. On the other hand, if you lie about what happened you may be disqualified, hit with fraud charges, disqualified for longer. Overall not a good idea.
I've never been required to list any job contacts. It's a seasonal job, and H&R Block doesn't know that I'm on unemployment. I also already have two part-time jobs. With limited transportation to the location, I don't think there's anything that they can do about it. I wouldn't be able to get there, and if I drove, it would cost me $40 per week in gas, and I can't afford it. I'm waiting to hear if I get into an office closer to home. When I interviewed in the first office, I told them that I take public transportation, but apparently, they didn't listen to what I said.

Old 12-15-2010, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdm2008 View Post
How far was the job from your present location? If it was like 200 miles, probably no problem. If it was 10-30 problems yea you could have some problems, if you answer the questions I assume you get every week or every couple weeks to stay certified. Ie have you refused work.
The seasonal job that I turned down is 10 miles from where I live. There is extremely limited public transporation to there, none at night and on weekends. I work event security, so I don't turn down work. The only time that I turn down work is if it's too far away from where I live, and I can't get there. I take public transportation 99% of the time. My bus pass is $18 per month, and I would spend $40 minimum per week on gas to get to the H&R Block office 10 miles away. It would be a long walk back and forth.

Old 12-15-2010, 11:47 AM

I doubt if I'll have a problem, and if I do, I'll appeal it and win. I have proof of my gas mileage and how much it would cost to fill up my tank. My mini van has a 27 gallon tank, and at $3.19 per gallon that would be roughly over $80. At $9.00 per hour, it's not worth it, when I can work an event for $8.50 and not have to drive. When I made $25 per hour, I could afford to fill up my tank, but not now. I only drive out of necessity. I've also been working steadily, but part-time, and event security isn't full time, anyway.

Old 12-15-2010, 12:59 PM

6,459 posts, read 12,024,463 times
Quote:

I also had an interview with another District Office, and they have locations close to where live. So I should know by Thursday afternoon if I'm selected for one of those. Keep your mouth shut.

Did you tell them you were on unemployment? If not, then how would they know to report it to UE?

Did you list this company as one of your contacts on your form? If not, then how would UE know if you turned down a job or not?

As far as I'm concerned your reasons are very valid, but it seems that UE wants you to take ANY job being offered whether it's close or not.

Old 12-15-2010, 01:06 PM

6,459 posts, read 12,024,463 times
Quote:
The seasonal job that I turned down is 10 miles from where I live. There is extremely limited public transporation to there, none at night and on weekends. I work event security, so I don't turn down work. The only time that I turn down work is if it's too far away from where I live, and I can't get there. I take public transportation 99% of the time. My bus pass is $18 per month, and I would spend $40 minimum per week on gas to get to the H&R Block office 10 miles away. It would be a long walk back and forth.
Never tell a potential employer you're collecting unemployment. I know you didn't in this case, but some employers can be very shady and might threaten to call unemployment if you turn down their "offer".

And never list interview contacts, unless you've accepted an offer either.

Honesty is not always the best policy when dealing with UE. Anything other than you've been "actively looking for work no matter" what will cause problems with your benefits.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment