U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-10-2011, 11:27 PM

4 posts, read 6,805 times

Advertisements

I worked from 11/2009 to 6/2010. I opened a new claim for unemployment on 07/2010 and just exhuasted my new UI claim benefits however prior to 11/2009 i was receiving benefits from one of my extensions and that amount was alot less than what Ive been receiving with my newer claim. I now will apply for extended benefits, which I feel they will start me where I left off prior to 11/2009, is that right? If they do, will my weekly payout revert to the older claim, which is less than what Ive been receiving with my newest claim effective 7/2010? My last question is, after I use up the remainder of the extension benefits, were I left off on in 11/2009, and I'm re-eligible for another new teir of extened benefits will my new weekly amount be based on the claim effective 7/2010 or will it continue to be the same as the claim that was filed prior to 11/2009? Reason why I'm posting this is unemployment gave me two differnet responses today.

Last edited by ycovington; 01-10-2011 at 11:41 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2011, 11:59 PM

19,552 posts, read 37,283,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ycovington View Post
I worked from 11/2009 to 6/2010. I opened a new claim for unemployment on 07/2010 and just exhuasted my new UI claim benefits however prior to 11/2009 i was receiving benefits from one of my extensions and that amount was alot less than what Ive been receiving with my newer claim. I now will apply for extended benefits, which I feel they will start me where I left off prior to 11/2009, is that right? If they do, will my weekly payout revert to the older claim, which is less than what Ive been receiving with my newest claim effective 7/2010? My last question is, after I use up the remainder of the extension benefits, were I left off on in 11/2009, and I'm re-eligible for another new teir of extened benefits will my new weekly amount be based on the claim effective 7/2010 or will it continue to be the same as the claim that was filed prior to 11/2009? Reason why I'm posting this is unemployment gave me two differnet responses today.
Haha - no surprise on the two different responses. It is always wise to speak to several people. Eventually you will reach someone who gives you the correct information. Of course, that is why you are calling them - lol. Often posters come here and end up knowing more than the agents they speak with.

Anyway, that said, general order of payments in CA when there is more than one claim is:
  1. Claim 1 - State Benefits
  2. Claim 1 - Tier benefits until 2nd claim opened
  3. Claim 2 - State Benefits
  4. Claim 1 - Tier benefits until exhausted
  5. Claim 2 - Tier benefits
  6. Claim 2 - EB (Fed-ED)
The amounts will correspond to the benefit amount of the claim. So, yes, if you revert to Claim 1 tier benefits, you will receive that lower amount. Fed-ED (EB) is not available on Claim 1 because of the 2nd claim. Assuming EUC legislation is still in place, you will receive Claim 2 tier benefits after exhaustion of all Claim 1 tier benefits.

Know that as long as you are collecting EUC extensions, CA will reevaluate your earnings quarterly for state benefit claim eligibility and may open yet another claim if you have sufficient earnings within the base period they are using at the time. But, for the next three months at least, you should be drawing on Claim 1 tiers.

Old 01-11-2011, 06:26 PM

4 posts, read 6,805 times
Thank you very much for your response. You've explained this with much clarity.

Old 02-01-2014, 12:50 AM

1 posts, read 892 times
Default charles of modesta

I was on the 3rd euc extension in got paid for 2 weeks before my benefits were cut off I still had two months pay due to me on this 3rd tier. If euc extention is reinstated. Will I be paid for the remainder of that third tier grant . my certification forms for the weeks after 12-28-13 have not been sent to me when can I expect to receive them (the weekly certification) if euc passes

Last edited by toejoe2003; 02-01-2014 at 12:57 AM.. Reason: miss spelling
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment