U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 01-14-2011, 10:24 AM

4 posts, read 17,904 times
Default Appeal and Employer is a no show

Does anybody know what this means???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2011, 10:34 AM

13,858 posts, read 17,832,289 times
What state are you in? In some states, a no show does not preclude an employer contesting the benefits at a later date. Some states allow an employer to contest unemployment for up to one year after benefits are granted and paid.

Check with your unemployment office on your state rules.

Old 01-14-2011, 10:56 AM

4 posts, read 17,904 times
Pennsylvania

Old 01-14-2011, 11:17 AM

13,858 posts, read 17,832,289 times
I don't recall issues with PA on retro appeals from employers posted on this board, but that doesn't mean they can't do it. Call PA to find out what's next.

Old 01-14-2011, 11:03 PM

379 posts, read 687,536 times
Too bad it's not like a traffic citation. That is, if the officer issuing the citation does not show up, you automatically win.

Old 01-15-2011, 08:32 PM

5,523 posts, read 4,871,774 times
It should mean they lose the case. How can you not show up without calling or anything?

By default you SHOULD get it, but who knows? Unemployment in certain states have been acting real shady about handing out money these days.

Old 01-17-2011, 08:30 AM

141 posts, read 206,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iamrollinglow View Post
Too bad it's not like a traffic citation. That is, if the officer issuing the citation does not show up, you automatically win.
No you don't, not automatically. I had an officer not showing up for a traffic violation hearing and the judge told me, "either you accept my offer which is a lower fine and no points, or I reschedule the hearing, your choice". I took the lower fine.

As for the employer not showing up at the appeal hearing, I don't know although I'm in PA. I know the employer can dispute the initial decision once it's made but I don't know if they have more than one shot for an appeal. I would assume if they don't show up for the appeal and didn't notify of a problem, you're fine, but I'm not 100% positive. Someone more qualified than me can answer this.

Old 02-13-2011, 11:59 AM

8 posts, read 33,069 times
I went through this spring 2010 in PA. Initially denied benefits. Employer did not show to appeal and there was a letter from the rep stating their intention not to show up.

If I recall correctly (and I may not), in PA, should there be any appeal from employer or employee beyond that initial hearing it becomes a court case... higher standards of evidence and probably very expensive.

The initial hearing with the referee is taped and holds substantive legal weight.

Old 10-24-2011, 03:32 PM

1 posts, read 6,658 times
I am going through this. I live in ky and rules are different so everyone and every state. I worked for citibank for 2 years and was fired. I was denied benefits so I appealed it. I was given a telephone conference where citi was a no show. I am now waiting on decision. The judge said that because they didnt show the decision will be based on my statement and evidence alone, however they can still appeal if I win. They said on the notice I will recieve it will have a deadlone on it on. Each party has until that deadline to file an appeal on the judges decision. so here I am Waiting on the decision.

Old 10-25-2011, 12:14 PM

128 posts, read 133,439 times
My guess is a rescheduling, that even happens in court. If they don't show again you could probably appeal on the basis that their failure to appear is a detriment to you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment