U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-15-2011, 07:58 PM

30 posts, read 48,475 times

Advertisements

I opened my prior claim on Jan.4, 2009 with a weekly benefit of $584 for 26 weeks, then on Aug.29, 2010, they say I'm qualified for a new claim because I've been working part-time. This current claim I'm only collecting $241 per week for only 19 weeks. I understand since my prior claim year ended on Jan.2, 2010, the EUC fix doesn't apply to me. I'll have to collect off this current claim, then they'll put me back on where I was on my tier 1 extension. I counted the weeks, if I can't find a job by the end of this year, I will exactly deplete my tier 4 extension from my prior claim on Dec.31, 2010. Then what are they going to do, Jan.3, 2012 is the last day to file tier 1 claim, will they put me on tier 1 extension based on the current claim, I know the deadline to file all the other tiers are Jan.3, 2012 as well, so I won't be able to collect tier 2 to 4 on the new claim, then EB will be triggered based on current claim afterwards, right? I'm under the impression that if the claim is not big enough, then I won't be qualified for extensions, so, what is the minimum week requirement and the minumum weekly benefit amount in order to be qualified for extensions? Is 16 weeks or above in NJ? Suppose I'm not qualified for the tier 1 or EB based on the second claim, will they put me on the EB based on my first claim? Please help!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2011, 12:17 AM

19,565 posts, read 37,349,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blithegirl View Post
I opened my prior claim on Jan.4, 2009 with a weekly benefit of $584 for 26 weeks, then on Aug.29, 2010, they say I'm qualified for a new claim because I've been working part-time. This current claim I'm only collecting $241 per week for only 19 weeks. I understand since my prior claim year ended on Jan.2, 2010, the EUC fix doesn't apply to me. I'll have to collect off this current claim, then they'll put me back on where I was on my tier 1 extension. I counted the weeks, if I can't find a job by the end of this year, I will exactly deplete my tier 4 extension from my prior claim on Dec.31, 2010. Then what are they going to do, Jan.3, 2012 is the last day to file tier 1 claim, will they put me on tier 1 extension based on the current claim,

Yes, if you have exhausted Tier IV from your first claim on or before December 31, 2011, you should transition to Tier I from the second claim.

I know the deadline to file all the other tiers are Jan.3, 2012 as well, so I won't be able to collect tier 2 to 4 on the new claim, then EB will be triggered based on current claim afterwards, right?

Yes, provided NJ state law still mandates EB and unemployment rate triggers are met.

I'm under the impression that if the claim is not big enough, then I won't be qualified for extensions, so, what is the minimum week requirement and the minumum weekly benefit amount in order to be qualified for extensions? Is 16 weeks or above in NJ?

You should qualify for all Tiers and EB on a prorata basis. This from the NJ website:
Quote:
EUC Tier 1 Details

History:

Emergency Unemployment Compensation (EUC) is a Federal extension that was effective July 6, 2008, with July 12, 2008 being the first payable week. The EUC program expires on January 3, 2012. EUC Tier 1 pays 20 weeks or 80% of the individual’s maximum benefit amount on their original unemployment insurance claim, whichever amount is less.

Requirements:

• Individuals must not be eligible for regular unemployment insurance benefits in New Jersey, any other state or Canada;

• Individuals must have filed a valid unemployment insurance claim dated May 7, 2006 or later;

• Individuals must have had 20 base weeks of work (earning a minimum of $143) or earned 40 times their weekly benefit rate on their UI claim.

• Individuals must have exhausted their regular unemployment insurance claim by benefit week ending December 24, 2011 in order to qualify for the EUC program.

Other:

There is no need to apply for EUC Tier 1 benefits. Once an individual exhausts their regular unemployment insurance benefits, their EUC Tier 1 claim is automatically filed on their behalf by the Division of Unemployment Insurance.

Individuals with a balance on their EUC Tier 1 claim with benefit week ending December 31, 2011, may collect the remainder of these EUC Tier 1 benefits through June 9, 2012.

Department of Labor and Workforce Development | Unemployment Benefit Extensions
Suppose I'm not qualified for the tier 1 or EB based on the second claim, will they put me on
the EB based on my first claim? Please help!!!

EB from your first claim is not available because you have a second claim.

Assuming your base earnings are at least $9,640 (40x$241) and based on the above from NJ, your second claim of 19 weeks (73% of maximum 26 week benefit) would qualify you for Tiers and EB approximately as follows:

Tier I - 14 weeks (73% x 20)
Tier II - 10 weeks (73% x14)
Tier III - 09 weeks (73% x 13)
Tier IV - 04 weeks (73% x 6)
NJ EB - 14 weeks (73% x 20)
NJ website is very clear. You might want to check that out.

Last edited by Ariadne22; 01-16-2011 at 12:39 AM..

Old 01-16-2011, 12:28 PM

3,814 posts, read 10,243,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blithegirl View Post
I'm under the impression that if the claim is not big enough, then I won't be qualified for extensions, so, what is the minimum week requirement and the minumum weekly benefit amount in order to be qualified for extensions? Is 16 weeks or above in NJ? Suppose I'm not qualified for the tier 1 or EB based on the second claim, will they put me on the EB based on my first claim? Please help!!!
I responded to this member on January 14 on one of her duplicate posts where she stated that her regular benefits were limited to 19 weeks...
Quote:
Originally Posted by diorgirl View Post
You will be eligible for extensions, but they will be pro-rated based on the length of your regular benefits.

Each extension is commonly described as the maximum number of weeks available; but they are also described as percentages of those maximum regular benefits (26 weeks). So your extensions would be based on the same percentages -- but of the initial weeks you received (19 weeks).

You say that you received 19 weeks of the 26-week maximum for regular benefits. So the length of your extensions would be calculated on the 19 weeks you received in regular benefits, rather than on the maximum available of 26 weeks.

Tier I: 80% of regular benefits (80% of 19 weeks = 15 weeks)
Tier II: 54% of regular benefits (54% of 19 weeks =10 weeks)
Tier III: 50% of regular benefits (50% of 19 weeks = 9 weeks)
Tier IV: 24% of regular benefits (24% of 19 weeks = 4 weeks)

The same pro-rata formula would be used to determine the amount of any EB for which you might qualify in New Jersey.

Of course, your eligibility for these extensions will depend on the cut-off dates in effect for each of the EUC Tiers -- and your ability to meet the more stringent requirements for EB.
In addition, the percentages I have quoted for pro-rating are those specified by the NJ UI website. The percentages are not calculated on whatever payment the poster alleges to have received.

Old 01-16-2011, 12:31 PM

19,565 posts, read 37,349,432 times
LOL - missed that. I wondered where you were on this one. Ahead of the curve, as usual.

Old 01-16-2011, 12:37 PM

3,814 posts, read 10,243,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariadne22 View Post
LOL - missed that. I wondered where you were on this one. Ahead of the curve, as usual.
Also, just FYI --
Quote:
Originally Posted by diorgirl View Post
In addition, the percentages I have quoted for pro-rating are those specified by the NJ UI website. The percentages are not calculated on whatever payment the poster alleges to have received.

Old 01-16-2011, 01:04 PM

30 posts, read 48,475 times
Thank you very much for the reply. I have no idea whether the earnings they used to calculate my current claim is over $9640 or not, I need to go to the UI office and find that information out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment