U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 01-24-2011, 09:57 AM

5 posts, read 47,192 times
Default NJ Won my appeal, now what?

Hello,

After a long and gruesome battle with nj's fantastic unemployment system, i won my appeal. My question is does anyone know how long it actually takes to receive my payment now? I received a "decision of appeal" from the appeals tribunal on the 14th of this month. I called the appeals tribunal headquarters and they told me what i had to do now was bring the letter to a one-stop career center (UGHH) and give the letter to a clerk. I did just that on the 18th (last tuesday) and the lady made copies of my letter and said she was going to fax it to trenton and now i just wait for my checks.

I called the call center last thursday to see what was going on and she said there was no updated information in the system and she was not sure how long it could take for trenton to process the letter. Ok no problem.

It is just about a week later and i made another call to the call center just an hour ago and the lady i spoke with said there still was no updated information and she said this could take 3-4 weeks?! Is this true can anyone shed any light on this?? I finally won my appeal and i have about a mountain of bills that needed to paid two months ago and im counting on this money coming relatively soon.

Any help would be greatly appreciated
Thanks!
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2011, 03:24 PM

4,872 posts, read 5,505,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by syg88 View Post
Hello,

After a long and gruesome battle with nj's fantastic unemployment system, i won my appeal. My question is does anyone know how long it actually takes to receive my payment now? I received a "decision of appeal" from the appeals tribunal on the 14th of this month. I called the appeals tribunal headquarters and they told me what i had to do now was bring the letter to a one-stop career center (UGHH) and give the letter to a clerk. I did just that on the 18th (last tuesday) and the lady made copies of my letter and said she was going to fax it to trenton and now i just wait for my checks.

I called the call center last thursday to see what was going on and she said there was no updated information in the system and she was not sure how long it could take for trenton to process the letter. Ok no problem.

It is just about a week later and i made another call to the call center just an hour ago and the lady i spoke with said there still was no updated information and she said this could take 3-4 weeks?! Is this true can anyone shed any light on this?? I finally won my appeal and i have about a mountain of bills that needed to paid two months ago and im counting on this money coming relatively soon.

Any help would be greatly appreciated
Thanks!
Yes. It can take up to 3 weeks to get your checks.

Remember the good news : You won your appeal !

I know it must be hard waiting !

Good Luck and let us know when you get your checks, if you like

Old 01-24-2011, 04:30 PM

269 posts, read 361,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WannaliveinGreenville View Post

I have to agree with the three week time frame. NJ f***ed up my first 2 checks (deposited in someone else's account). I had to wait almost four weeks to get my money since the rocket scientists at my local office took a full week to mail the paperwork to Trenton.

Old 01-24-2011, 04:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WannaliveinGreenville View Post

Ugh, thats what i was afraid of!

But yes that is true, at least i have it coming to me *PHEW*

Now to play a bit more of NJ UI's infamous waiting game

Old 02-03-2011, 12:00 PM

...still waiting.

Old 02-03-2011, 12:12 PM

3,814 posts, read 7,900,358 times
Quote:
...still waiting.
I posted this response to another member who had been waiting several months for payment of back benefits after winning a NJ appeal...
Quote:
Originally Posted by diorgirl View Post
If you let your appeals ruling work its own way through the system, it can take many months to receive back payment.

First, you need to determine where your appeals ruling is in the processing queue. You can only do this by talking to an agent.

If the agent can find no record of it in the system, it is still waiting to be processed. The only way to expedite payment is to hand deliver the appeals ruling letter you received to a clerk at your local One-Stop Career Center. The clerk will make copies and fax one to Trenton to authorize release of your back payments.

You will need to follow up with the One-Stop Career Center to be certain that the letter gets to Trenton for processing (which can take several days to several weeks, depending on the workflow in that Center). And then follow up with an agent (at the Center or by telephone) to check on when Trenton releases payment -- which can take several more weeks.

Because of the overwhelming backlog of appeals in NJ, actually receiving back payment after a judgment in your favor can take a long time if you don't stay on top of the processing.

Old 02-03-2011, 12:29 PM

Quote:
...still waiting.
Sorry syg88. Many years ago I had a UI appeal and it took about 3 weeks but things are far more backed up now, I guess...

Hang in there !

Or you can call and see if they have a time frame for those checks ?

Old 02-04-2011, 01:56 PM

GOOD NEWS!

Diorgirl, i've been reading many of your posts as of late and actually read your original post of what you just quoted. I have been doing just that. Calling everyday, following up, and when i called unemployment yesterday the man told me my check was just mailed and also listed all the weeks of back pay that are included in the check.

It didn't come today, which was kind of expected, so tomorrow hopefully will be the day!

Word of advice to anyone else waiting on their benefits from an appeal that was won: FOLLOW UP! FOLLOW UP! FOLLOW UP!

Old 02-04-2011, 02:02 PM

Quote:
GOOD NEWS!

Diorgirl, i've been reading many of your posts as of late and actually read your original post of what you just quoted. I have been doing just that. Calling everyday, following up, and when i called unemployment yesterday the man told me my check was just mailed and also listed all the weeks of back pay that are included in the check.

It didn't come today, which was kind of expected, so tomorrow hopefully will be the day!

Word of advice to anyone else waiting on their benefits from an appeal that was won: FOLLOW UP! FOLLOW UP! FOLLOW UP!
Woooooooohooooooooooo ! syg88 ! Glad your checks are coming.

Old 02-04-2011, 03:53 PM

3,814 posts, read 7,900,358 times
Quote:
GOOD NEWS!

Congratulations! Once they confirmed that the system reflects that a check has been issued, you can breathe a well-deserved sigh of relief!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment