U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 01-30-2011, 03:42 PM

61 posts, read 118,468 times

Advertisements

I will be starting a new job next Wednesday (2/2/11). I am currently on my 2nd Tier with 4 weeks remaining. I know I will be obviously filing for 1-23-11 to 2-1-11. What about the days for 2-2-11 thru 2-5-11? (actually Wednesday, Thursday and Friday) Am I supposed to fill out section 6 of the continued claim form saying that I work 3 days at 8 hours each for a total of 24 hours and entered the gross wages?

Do I then just continue to ignore my continued claim forms there after? My benefit claim year ends on 3-26-11.

Thanks for any help or assitance you can provide.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2011, 03:51 PM

3,814 posts, read 8,070,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snolife View Post
I will be starting a new job next Wednesday (2/2/11). I am currently on my 2nd Tier with 4 weeks remaining. I know I will be obviously filing for 1-23-11 to 2-1-11. What about the days for 2-2-11 thru 2-5-11? (actually Wednesday, Thursday and Friday) Am I supposed to fill out section 6 of the continued claim form saying that I work 3 days at 8 hours each for a total of 24 hours and entered the gross wages?

Do I then just continue to ignore my continued claim forms there after? My benefit claim year ends on 3-26-11.

Thanks for any help or assitance you can provide.
Yes, you do have to declare the work you do during a week you claim benefits, so you must include that info on the form you use to claim benefits for 01/23/11 to 02/01/11.

After that, according to California's EDD website, you just stop filing:
Quote:
How do I end my claim?
Discontinue mailing your Continued Claim Form, DE 4581. If the Department doesn't receive a claim form from you we will assume you have returned to work, or no longer wish to claim benefits. It is not necessary to contact the Department to stop your benefit payments.

FAQ - Collecting Benefits

Old 02-01-2011, 12:11 PM

Thanks diorgirl. Let say things happen to not work out at the new job and god forbid I get laid off again for what ever reason (i hope not). My claim ends on 3-26-11. Should I renew the claim? I guess if Im working, I cant renew it? I would have to open a new one? Thanks.

Old 02-01-2011, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Thanks diorgirl. Let say things happen to not work out at the new job and god forbid I get laid off again for what ever reason (i hope not). My claim ends on 3-26-11. Should I renew the claim? I guess if Im working, I cant renew it? I would have to open a new one? Thanks.
You're right -- if you are working at the time your claim ends, you cannot open a new claim. However, if you are laid off again, you can reopen the claim at that time.

Old 02-05-2011, 10:27 PM

Hi Diorgirl,

I have a couple of more questions. I appreciate your responses and thank you very much.

It looks like this temp job is turning into a part time job at this time after being told otherwise. I worked 4 hours on one day during the period of 1-23-11 to 1-29-11 and another 15.50 hours for two days for 1-30-11 to 2-5-11, a total of 3 days only during the two week period I am claiming for. I know I must claim the gross wages for those days worked. One of my questions is I know I have to list the last day worked for each of those weeks and how many hours and the employer name and address, etc. I know I have to list the reason no longer working and or still working part-time. I saw that if you put down still working full time EDD will not send a subsequent claim form. Since Im not working full time Im not doing that. At this rate I'm not sure if I am going to be getting any more hours for the following 2 week claim or any there after. I mailed out my claim form for 1-23-11 to 1-29-11 and 1-30-11 to 2-5-11 on Saturday (2/5) and put still working part-time under reason no longer working/still working category on the claim form. I think I did this all right, hopefully.

If I happen to not get any more part time work until my claim ends (3/26/11), I know I have to re-certify before that time. I should not have any problems re-certifying hopefully. I am currently on Tier 1 with the last week (20th week) ending on 2-19-11. Hopefully I should not have any problems moving to Tier 2 and still collect my same benefit amount.

Wow, sorry, I just put a lot of info in there

Old 02-06-2011, 05:35 AM

Quote:
Hi Diorgirl,

I have a couple of more questions. I appreciate your responses and thank you very much.

It looks like this temp job is turning into a part time job at this time after being told otherwise. I worked 4 hours on one day during the period of 1-23-11 to 1-29-11 and another 15.50 hours for two days for 1-30-11 to 2-5-11, a total of 3 days only during the two week period I am claiming for. I know I must claim the gross wages for those days worked. One of my questions is I know I have to list the last day worked for each of those weeks and how many hours and the employer name and address, etc. I know I have to list the reason no longer working and or still working part-time. I saw that if you put down still working full time EDD will not send a subsequent claim form. Since Im not working full time Im not doing that. At this rate I'm not sure if I am going to be getting any more hours for the following 2 week claim or any there after. I mailed out my claim form for 1-23-11 to 1-29-11 and 1-30-11 to 2-5-11 on Saturday (2/5) and put still working part-time under reason no longer working/still working category on the claim form. I think I did this all right, hopefully. Correct!

If I happen to not get any more part time work until my claim ends (3/26/11), I know I have to re-certify before that time.
You cannot re-certify before the date of your one-year anniversary. You can re-certify on that day or anytime after.

I should not have any problems re-certifying hopefully. I am currently on Tier 1 with the last week (20th week) ending on 2-19-11. Hopefully I should not have any problems moving to Tier 2 and still collect my same benefit amount.

Wow, sorry, I just put a lot of info in there
When you re-certify, whether you qualify for a new claim will depend on the amount of your W-2 earnings in your benefits year (through 3/26/11).

If you have been paid on a 1099 basis, those earnings will not be considered for a new claim. If you have been paid on a W-2 basis, those earnings will be considered for a new claim.

If you do not qualify for a new claim at the time of your one-year anniversary, you will continue your existing claim and will receive benefits at the same rate.

Old 02-06-2011, 10:36 AM

Thanks for the answers. So it comes down to if a total of $418 worth of earnings for part time work for 3 days (if i happen to not work any more part time work) will affect my re-certification and the amount I am collecting. I am currently collecting $450/week in Ca.

Old 02-06-2011, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Thanks for the answers. So it comes down to if a total of $418 worth of earnings for part time work for 3 days (if i happen to not work any more part time work) will affect my re-certification and the amount I am collecting. I am currently collecting $450/week in Ca.
Right! So at that level, it looks like you will continue on your existing claim.

Old 12-29-2011, 04:26 PM

1 posts, read 4,782 times
Im Francisco Mayorquin And Ive Been trying to get ahold of you guys for about 2 weekss trying to talk to a repersentive but no respond...please call me at (951)588-9209 I will apreciate it.thanks
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment