U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2011, 04:21 PM

2 posts, read 27,876 times

Advertisements

Sorry if this question has been asked before. I was having trouble understanding the NJ unemployment website.. I know benefits were cut to 26 weeks.

How do the extensions work?

Here are my working/unemployment details:
I worked the same job (though a temp agency) from Oct 2008 to Aug 2010.
The date of my unemployment claim was 8/22/2010. A check was issued on 9/02/10 for payment for week ending 8/28/10.
My last unemployment check will be issued on 2/22/10 so I guess my 26 weeks have been exhausted.

I understand you cannot get 99 weeks anymore, but I am having trouble understanding how you become eligable, and apply for the EUC Tier 1, 2, etc..

With the duration I worked (listed above), will I be eligible for an extension, or is that on a case by case basis? Also, is there a way to apply so there is no gap in unemployment checks?

Thanks so much guys. Any help is GREATLY appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2011, 04:26 PM

621 posts, read 1,767,555 times
You will move onto Tier 1. In Nj an extensions is automatically filed for you.

Old 02-06-2011, 05:58 PM

19,548 posts, read 37,254,648 times
State Benefits have always been 26 weeks. Inasmuch as you have qualified for 26 weeks' state benefits, your earnings should also qualify you for the all the tiers and EB.

Congress extended eligibility for the EUC Tiers and EB through December 31, 2011. You are eligible for Tiers I, II, III and possibly Tier IV, if you exhaust Tier III not later than December 31, 2010. After that, if state law and unemployment triggers permit, you may be eligible for NJ EB totalling up to another 20 weeks. It is very possible you will collect 99 weeks in benefits.

Old 02-06-2011, 07:38 PM

3,814 posts, read 10,233,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stuckinaloop View Post
Sorry if this question has been asked before. I was having trouble understanding the NJ unemployment website.. I know benefits were cut to 26 weeks.
Regular benefits were never more than 26 weeks -- there was never a cut in regular benefits. And NJ has qualified for additional weeks of EB for several years -- so benefits were not cut to 26 weeks in NJ for a very long time.

How do the extensions work?
I understand you cannot get 99 weeks anymore,
At this time, you can collect regular benefits, as many Tiers of EUC benefits as you can start before the end of 2011, and then EB.

There is no eligibility deadline for regular benefits or for EB in NJ. However, you must begin an EUC Tier before the end of 2011 in order to collect that full Tier; you cannot begin any Tier after the eligibility cut-off date.

With the duration I worked (listed above), will I be eligible for an extension, or is that on a case by case basis?
When you exhaust each level of benefits, NJ UI automatically reviews you for eligibility for the next level. If you qualify, the next level of benefits is automatically started for you.

Since you qualified for 26 weeks of regular benefits, you will probably qualify for each extension in existence when you exhaust the prior extension.

Also, is there a way to apply so there is no gap in unemployment checks?
You have no control over the timing of your benefits, but NJ has traditionally been very good about determining eligibility and starting the next level of benefits with no gap.
The full complement of 99 weeks of unemployment benefits currently available in New Jersey consists of:

• Regular benefits - up to 26 weeks
• Tier I - up to 20 weeks
• Tier II - up to 14 weeks
• Tier III - up to 13 weeks (state must trigger Tier III with three-month average unemployment rate of at least 6% -- which NJ has)
• Tier IV - up to 6 weeks (state must trigger Tier IV with three-month average unemployment rate of at least 8.5% -- which NJ has)
• EB - up to 20 weeks (eligibility requirements vary from state to state, but NJ currently offers up to 20 weeks)

Check the NJ DOL website for details on eligibility for each level of benefits and the cut-off dates for the EUC Tiers.

Old 03-24-2011, 03:46 PM

78 posts, read 208,930 times
I recently exhausted my initial 26 weeks and just received the notice that I was eligible for 20 weeks of EUC, and if i'm reading this thread correctly that means i'm now on Tier 1. But my question is, how is EUC different than EB? I might be misreading something so please forgive my ignorance. Thank you.

Old 03-28-2011, 09:18 AM

362 posts, read 830,211 times
EUC (tiers I-IV) in NJ aren't much different in basic state unemployment. The requirements are the same and the extensions are automatically filed. Typically when you reach the end of a tier you receive the message you did and then receive word that you get the next tier within a week.

EB (Extended Benefits) in NJ is different in that you have to provide proof of your job search when you claim (I believe it's a form that you have to send in). I've never dealt with this personally but know people who have.

Old 04-02-2011, 10:15 PM

78 posts, read 208,930 times
Ok thanks.

The paper I received said to "recertify" on 4/7, which is a Thursday. Tuesday is the day I usually claim, and Thursday is the day i'm usually receiving my benefits. My question is:

Do I HAVE to claim on the 7th or can do I it earlier?

Old 04-18-2011, 09:53 AM

10 posts, read 67,813 times
Default NJ unemployment...

I was wondering if I should have tried for the dependent benefit through unemployment. I have an 11 year old, a 15 year old and 19 year old. Is this extra difficult to get? I've almost exhausted my initial 26 weeks and will be approaching my first extension. Also can someone tell me if the amount I am getting now change when I get to the first extension?

Thanks in advance

Old 04-18-2011, 10:09 AM

3,814 posts, read 10,233,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicki4nj View Post
I was wondering if I should have tried for the dependent benefit through unemployment. I have an 11 year old, a 15 year old and 19 year old. Is this extra difficult to get? I've almost exhausted my initial 26 weeks and will be approaching my first extension. Also can someone tell me if the amount I am getting now change when I get to the first extension?

Thanks in advance
The New Jersey unemployment Dependency Benefits are not hard to get -- you just need to provide the required documentation. But you have to have applied for it within 6 weeks of the date of your claim to qualify.
Department of Labor and Workforce Development | Dependency Benefits

It is highly unlikely it will be granted at this stage in your benefits cycle -- but you can try for it. There is no penalty for applying late, and the worst case is that they will deny your request.

In response to your other question, the weekly benefit amount that you receive at the time you begin regular benefits is the same weekly benefit you receive through all extensions on that claim.

Old 05-13-2011, 10:50 PM

10 posts, read 67,813 times
Thumbs up Thank you for your response...

That's good to know because I was told my amount would decrease with every extension. But the person that told me wasn't certain. Thanks for letting me know that it should remain the same amount.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment