U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 02-14-2011, 07:39 AM

34 posts, read 54,995 times
Default Question about money left on claim

I have a question about the money that is left on my claim. It may be nothing for me to worry about, but I figured I'd check in.

I just begun receiving Tier 1 benefits about a week ago, at my rate of $393 per week. I also received a letter from UI stating that I am receiving these benefits and am entitled to a total of $7,860 (my weekly rate times 20). However, when I log into the UI system, it says that I have about $4,200 left in my account, about 11 weeks worth.

So does this number increase as I exhaust more benefits, or am I only entitled to the $4,200 or so? I guess I was under the impression that the money left in my account would reflect the total dollar amount of what I would be entitled to under the 20 weeks of Tier 1 benefits. Would they just add funds in the middle of my Tier 1 claim?
Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2011, 07:58 AM

330 posts, read 810,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rich a View Post
I have a question about the money that is left on my claim. It may be nothing for me to worry about, but I figured I'd check in.

I just begun receiving Tier 1 benefits about a week ago, at my rate of $393 per week. I also received a letter from UI stating that I am receiving these benefits and am entitled to a total of $7,860 (my weekly rate times 20). However, when I log into the UI system, it says that I have about $4,200 left in my account, about 11 weeks worth.

So does this number increase as I exhaust more benefits, or am I only entitled to the $4,200 or so? I guess I was under the impression that the money left in my account would reflect the total dollar amount of what I would be entitled to under the 20 weeks of Tier 1 benefits. Would they just add funds in the middle of my Tier 1 claim?
How do you go to tier 1 without first exhausting all the benefits in your original state claim?

I believe you are entitled to the total of 7, 860.

Old 02-14-2011, 08:04 AM

Oh I did exhaust all of my original benefits, about $10,000 and then the $4,200 was added in.

Old 02-14-2011, 08:08 AM

Quote:
Oh I did exhaust all of my original benefits, about $10,000 and then the $4,200 was added in.
Did you work during that period? That seems strange that they would add $4,200 to your original claim. Doesn't make sense to me.

Old 02-14-2011, 08:14 AM

I did freelance work for a few months, but from what I understand, that had no bearing on anything other than when my Tier 1 benefits kicked in, not the amount of benefits I receive. I still fall within the deadlines for all three Tiers of benefits.

The $4,200 added in was for the Tier 1 benefits that I just started after exhausting the regular benefits. Once my regular benefits got down to $0, Tier 1 kicked in and $4,200 was added into my account. Then I got a letter saying I was entitled to $7,860.

Old 02-14-2011, 08:20 AM

Quote:
I did freelance work for a few months, but from what I understand, that had no bearing on anything other than when my Tier 1 benefits kicked in, not the amount of benefits I receive. I still fall within the deadlines for all three Tiers of benefits.

The $4,200 added in was for the Tier 1 benefits that I just started after exhausting the regular benefits. Once my regular benefits got down to $0, Tier 1 kicked in and $4,200 was added into my account. Then I got a letter saying I was entitled to $7,860.
OK, seems like an error on part of the department.

Old 02-14-2011, 10:23 AM

That would be my guess. Or perhaps it's just they way the system works for some reason. I'm not too worried about it, since I do have the letter from them stipulating the benefits I'm entitled to.

Old 02-15-2011, 09:41 PM

Has anyone else ever heard of something like this happening? I've heard of the balance going down to $0, before the next Tier kicks in, but I can't seem to find anything about not enough funds for the 20 weeks being out in in the first place.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment