U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2011, 09:30 PM

189 posts, read 581,356 times

Advertisements

Hi! I need help with a California EDD interview. I am going to be "officially" interviewed for self employment this weekend.

I have been approved for SE before, but only for certain weeks and not "officially" across the board. I only do self employment for about 1-3 hours a week, tops.

Now, my issue is when they ask the question "which weeks did you engage in this activity" or "when did you begin your self employment"? What should I answer?

I began to get paid for my self employment in January and I reported that. However, I had been doing unpaid work since September, writing for a website under the same working conditions. The complete time I was looking for a job and can prove it.

They can look up my name and see that I worked with this website before January.

Question is, should I say that I've been working starting January or last September? If I tell them that I've been doing this since last September, will it trigger more interviews question my eligibility for employment the three months before I was earning any money? Would they go online and check to see if I did any work?

I mentioned that I did some unpaid work while talking to an EDD rep, but not an official interviewer. He seemed to indicate that it wasn't a problem, but I'm not sure an official interviewer would feel the same way. I am really honest to a fault and sometimes shoot myself in the foot with my honesty,

Last edited by Desertdarlene; 02-20-2011 at 10:33 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2011, 09:26 AM

I guess this is one of those common sense things that I should know about, ha ha because I am getting no answers.

Old 02-21-2011, 09:35 AM

2,403 posts, read 3,651,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Desertdarlene View Post
I guess this is one of those common sense things that I should know about, ha ha because I am getting no answers.
Well I am 69 yrs old and never collected EED but I would go with being honest as you stated you were not paid in Sept so that would and should not be a problem > They are interested in any money you earned > Good luck , and try to relax.

Old 02-21-2011, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fighter 1 View Post
Well I am 69 yrs old and never collected EED but I would go with being honest as you stated you were not paid in Sept so that would and should not be a problem > They are interested in any money you earned > Good luck , and try to relax.
Thanks! I will think on this. The thing is, I read that if you are doing any type of "unpaid" work you are potentially not available for work and would lengthen the "investigation" and delay my check even more (perhaps for months). They might end up checking every "unpaid" post or volunteer work I've ever done.

You're right, I should relax, it's not the end of the world. I think I will just go with the flow of the interview and if I feel that the information is needed by the interviewer, I will give it up. It is what it is. I shouldn't be so self absorbed as to think that they are going to be searching through my name on the internet and questioning everything I ever done.

Last edited by Desertdarlene; 02-21-2011 at 10:01 AM..

Old 02-21-2011, 10:50 AM

3,814 posts, read 8,026,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fighter 1 View Post
This is not necessarily true if you are deemed to have the status of "self-employed." Under certain circumstances, being self-employed eliminates your eligibility for unemployment benefits. One reason -- as suggested by the OP -- is that to collect unemployment benefits, you need to be actively seeking and available for full-time work -- which is not the case if you are self-employed, as defined by your state unemployment department.

The OP simply has to go through the interview process and answer the questions honestly.

Old 02-21-2011, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by diorgirl View Post
This is not necessarily true if you are deemed to have the status of "self-employed." Under certain circumstances, being self-employed eliminates your eligibility for unemployment benefits. One reason -- as suggested by the OP -- is that to collect unemployment benefits, you need to be actively seeking and available for full-time work -- which is not the case if you are self-employed, as defined by your state unemployment department.

The OP simply has to go through the interview process and answer the questions honestly.
Thanks! If I say that I have been doing this work since September, what do I need to do to prove that I was able and available to work during that time period?

I only do this self employment for about 1 to 3 hours a week, but spend at least 30 to 40 hours making job contacts most weeks.

Old 02-21-2011, 12:56 PM

3,814 posts, read 8,026,466 times
Quote:
Thanks! If I say that I have been doing this work since September, what do I need to do to prove that I was able and available to work during that time period?

I only do this self employment for about 1 to 3 hours a week, but spend at least 30 to 40 hours making job contacts most weeks.
The most persuasive documentation would be a log/diary of your work search during that period, including copies of -- applications you submitted, contacts you made, any interviews you went on, responses you received to your inquiries, etc.

Old 02-21-2011, 05:47 PM

Thanks. Unfortunately, my records are not all that detailed. But, I do have some records (e-mail, etc). I did tell at least one EDD rep that I was writing before I was earning, but he seemed unconcerned about it. I was actually told by at least 2 other EDD reps that they are mostly concerned about the weeks that I earned and not really other weeks where I wasn't earning. I guess they're really understaffed there. That doesn't mean the interviewer or determiner would say the same thing, though.

I'll tell you what, though, I will warn anyone thinking of doing any type of unpaid freelance work (that might lead to earnings, later on) to contact EDD before doing it.

Old 02-23-2011, 08:29 AM

Here's what I decided to do. When they ask about when I did my self employment work, I will mention the weeks where I actually worked and earned money. However, part of the interview involves how to fill out the claim forms correctly as I've had a few forms come back. During this time, I will ask the interviewer about reporting work that is unpaid or volunteer work. If he/she says that there is no way to do this or that I don't have to report those weeks, I will leave it at that. If he/she tells me a way to do report unpaid work, then I will tell them about the unpaid work prior to being paid.

I will be keeping detailed records of the interview in case something comes up later so that they can't claim that I was dishonest or withholding information.

I was told by several EDD representatives that unpaid and volunteer work is OK unless the hours excessive, which this is definitely not. I was also told by at least one or two reps that if I didn't earn anything on certain weeks, I don't need to report it.

Old 02-23-2011, 11:26 AM

330 posts, read 883,587 times
Quote:
Here's what I decided to do. When they ask about when I did my self employment work, I will mention the weeks where I actually worked and earned money. However, part of the interview involves how to fill out the claim forms correctly as I've had a few forms come back. During this time, I will ask the interviewer about reporting work that is unpaid or volunteer work. If he/she says that there is no way to do this or that I don't have to report those weeks, I will leave it at that. If he/she tells me a way to do report unpaid work, then I will tell them about the unpaid work prior to being paid.

I will be keeping detailed records of the interview in case something comes up later so that they can't claim that I was dishonest or withholding information.

I was told by several EDD representatives that unpaid and volunteer work is OK unless the hours excessive, which this is definitely not. I was also told by at least one or two reps that if I didn't earn anything on certain weeks, I don't need to report it.
Why would you tell them you did voluntary work we they don't really ask for that information?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment