Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2011, 04:57 PM

13 posts, read 84,496 times

Advertisements

TWC website says that I need to wait for my funds to run out in order to fill out the application for EUC benefits. They claim they will mail the application to me.

I know that I should continue applying for $$ if the website will allow me to, but has any one had experience enough to tell me how many weeks it took before the $$ came in again? Do they mail the application the day you run out of funds? Am I looking at waiting 2 - 4 weeks similar to when I first filed back in Oct 2010?

Thanks in advance - trying to budget myself as I get my last check in 3 weeks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2011, 05:43 PM

16,956 posts, read 16,748,451 times
If I am not mistaken, you move to the first tier automatically and I don't recall having to fill out anything for the tier 1 extension.

Maybe someone here can better advise you....

Old 03-04-2011, 10:03 AM

3,814 posts, read 11,973,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MermaidNiki View Post
TWC website says that I need to wait for my funds to run out in order to fill out the application for EUC benefits. They claim they will mail the application to me.

I know that I should continue applying for $$ if the website will allow me to, but has any one had experience enough to tell me how many weeks it took before the $$ came in again? Do they mail the application the day you run out of funds? Am I looking at waiting 2 - 4 weeks similar to when I first filed back in Oct 2010?

Thanks in advance - trying to budget myself as I get my last check in 3 weeks.
Quote:
Originally Posted by WannaliveinGreenville View Post
If I am not mistaken, you move to the first tier automatically and I don't recall having to fill out anything for the tier 1 extension.

Maybe someone here can better advise you....
This varies from state to state. Some states file for the Tier I extension for you automatically, others require that you file an application. You should always follow the info you receive from your state about these matters.

Since the Texas site says that they send claimants an application to file, the OP simply has to wait to receive that application. The application should be received within a week to 10 days after you exhaust your regular benefits.

Perhaps someone collecting Tiers in Texas can post if there was any delay in receiving Tier I after they filed the application...

Old 03-09-2011, 05:39 PM

Hopefully someone will tell me their experience. I request my last payment in 2 weeks, but only for half of what I normally get (that's because there is nothing else left). I keep checking the mail box every day hoping that I will find a notice or application or something. It seems silly that I cannot be pro-active and get everything ready for when my benefits exhaust. (Just in case I don't find a job by then)

Old 03-09-2011, 06:41 PM

3,814 posts, read 11,973,911 times
Quote:
Hopefully someone will tell me their experience. I request my last payment in 2 weeks, but only for half of what I normally get (that's because there is nothing else left). I keep checking the mail box every day hoping that I will find a notice or application or something. It seems silly that I cannot be pro-active and get everything ready for when my benefits exhaust. (Just in case I don't find a job by then)
Technically, you cannot apply for an extension until you exhaust your regular benefits -- because you are not eligible for an extension until then. This is the same as requiring that you actually complete your last day of work before you apply for regular benefits -- even if you know in advance when your last day of work will be.

In states that perform the extension application process automatically for claimants, it is not done until after a claimant completes their last week of regular benefits. Those state systems automatically inform people of their eligibility for an extension within a week or two after they exhaust regular benefits.

Old 03-25-2011, 12:01 PM

I appreciate the attempts at help - however all the information above is what I was able to find on my own via google.

Hopefully what I am about to write may help someone else in the future. I applied for the last of my benefits on a Sunday and that following Monday called the unemployment office to ask what the next step was. They allowed me to apply for EUC over the phone and even were able to tell me that I was approved.
I will not have any lapse in my benefits and will get my next check in 2 weeks.

Also - for those of you who are patient and can wait for them to send you an application, here is the following snail mail info: (Please note I currently reside in NY - however I am getting bens from TX as if I was still a resident there) According to the woman on the phone, had I not called to apply it could have taken 3 - 6 weeks for them to process my paperwork and approve me for benefits.

I received my notification letter of exhausted benefits and my application for EUC on Thursday. It told me to either mail the EUC application, fax it, or call the unemployment office too apply. Then on Friday I received a letter stating that my phone application for EUC had been approved and told me the details of my benefits IE amount, time frame, etc.

My approved application for EUC automatically approves me for all three tiers. I do not need to do anything more than what I have been doing (IE keep applying for benefits and searching for jobs). I do not yet know how EB works, but if I have to apply for it I will come back and update this information.

One more side note - My last week of benefits contained only $10. There is no way to recoup the extra I should have gotten. The EUC starts on the next week and is not intended to supplement lost benefits since my original benefits are allotted as a specific amount, regardless of how the $$ is divided up.

I hope this helps people - contrary to what the TX website says YOU CAN CALL AND APPLY FOR EUC. And you can do it before they send you a letter, as long as you know that your benefits are exhausted.

Remember - this is for TEXAS. Each state differs.

Old 03-28-2011, 11:58 AM

1 posts, read 11,554 times
Thanks for all the helpful information! I will exhaust my regular Texas UI benefits in about a month, and it is good to know that I can apply and get approval for EUC so quickly via phone application.

Also, I have 3 weeks of UI benefits remaining. Am I to expect only $10 for the last payment?

Old 03-28-2011, 12:04 PM

How much your last check will be depends entirely on your actual alloted amount. Say for example the government gave you $10,520 for the year. And you were allowed to get $500 every week. You will get a check every 2 weeks for $1000, then on the check for week 21 and week 22 - you will only get $520. If you call the same day or next day that your benefits are exhausted and you are approved, then week 23 and week 24 you will get the full $1000 again.

Does this make sense? None of these numbers are accurate in ANY way - they are just used to give you an example of why I only got $10 for my last week instead of the full amount they said I should get.

Old 03-29-2011, 06:13 PM

1 posts, read 11,544 times
Default Great Info

Quote:
I appreciate the attempts at help - however all the information above is what I was able to find on my own via google.

Hopefully what I am about to write may help someone else in the future. I applied for the last of my benefits on a Sunday and that following Monday called the unemployment office to ask what the next step was. They allowed me to apply for EUC over the phone and even were able to tell me that I was approved.
I will not have any lapse in my benefits and will get my next check in 2 weeks.

Also - for those of you who are patient and can wait for them to send you an application, here is the following snail mail info: (Please note I currently reside in NY - however I am getting bens from TX as if I was still a resident there) According to the woman on the phone, had I not called to apply it could have taken 3 - 6 weeks for them to process my paperwork and approve me for benefits.

I received my notification letter of exhausted benefits and my application for EUC on Thursday. It told me to either mail the EUC application, fax it, or call the unemployment office too apply. Then on Friday I received a letter stating that my phone application for EUC had been approved and told me the details of my benefits IE amount, time frame, etc.

My approved application for EUC automatically approves me for all three tiers. I do not need to do anything more than what I have been doing (IE keep applying for benefits and searching for jobs). I do not yet know how EB works, but if I have to apply for it I will come back and update this information.

One more side note - My last week of benefits contained only $10. There is no way to recoup the extra I should have gotten. The EUC starts on the next week and is not intended to supplement lost benefits since my original benefits are allotted as a specific amount, regardless of how the $$ is divided up.

I hope this helps people - contrary to what the TX website says YOU CAN CALL AND APPLY FOR EUC. And you can do it before they send you a letter, as long as you know that your benefits are exhausted.

Remember - this is for TEXAS. Each state differs.

Dear Mermaidniki,

This is very valuable info and i thank you for that as my regular UI claim will end in the near future and i was not sure what to do other than what i could read in TWC website, but was afraid that i would have to wait weeks and weeks before i can get money again from the EUC, but now i know what to do!!!! THANKS

One thing i wanted to ask you is, what is the process when you call?, what do they ask or how do they get you approved, in other words on what info do they use to determine if you qualify for EUC?, or does everyone receiving regular UI qualifies???.

Sorry to bother you with all this questions, but you most likely can understand the feeling when you ran out of $$ and have not yet found a job.

Thanks and will wait for your response

Old 04-14-2011, 03:44 PM

I am glad to be of service. I was so scared when I couldn't find any information online at all. The TX website helps in only a very minor way and there were questions that I NEEDED answers to. You gotta budget on any income and especially a very limited one. Any information that can help you with the budgeting process can lower anxiety.

Unfortunately I don't remember the process 100% but I think that they asked me the same questions I answered every two weeks when I made a payment request. EG: "Have you worked?" "Were you physically able to work" etc.. It is my opinion most people eligible for regular unemployment are also eligible for EUC. I am sure there are extenuating circumstances, but as long as you aren't working, have no income, and CAN work that pretty much approves you.

*please remember everyone i am NOT an expert and do NOT work for the TX gov. These are only my own personal experiences*
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment