U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2011, 06:59 PM

398 posts, read 707,577 times
Default Nj unemployment

How much employment is needed to get 6 months of regular unemployment in NJ? I worked there for 5 months (about 20 weeks).

I was using the calculator on NJ DOL site and I entered my Alternate Quarter wages (I worked Oct - December 2010) and it calculated the maximum $598 weekly benefit rate but only around $7,774 Maximum benefit amount? Thats only 13 weeks of benefits, barely 3 months.
*** But I did work January and February of this year as well, so is it possible to add that to extend the maximum amount and weeks?***

Does this "maximum benefit amount" lasting only 13 weeks, mean I won't be eligible for EUC Tiers in NJ?

I was employed in NY until Dec. 2009 and I have EUC tiers in NY remaining from my previous UI claim there that according to NY DOL, I can still go back on at $405 a week with about 8-9 months of EUC / EB left.. that's approx. $15,000 - $16,000?

NY DOL advised me to try filing in NJ because I might be eligible for a new claim there with higher weekly benefits, so I canceled my NY claim to file a NJ claim (pending), but I was unaware that it might not last 6 months until i used the calculator on NJ DOL website???

Or is there some "combined wage" NY / NJ calculation that will allow me to qualify for 6 months despite the employment dates at different quarters?

Last edited by raymond2; 03-04-2011 at 08:00 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2011, 04:23 PM

I just read another thread about claimants returning to finish the existing extension tiers on an older claim after they get approved and collected for a new claim. I thought someone would LOSE any unfinished tiers on their old claim if they are approved and collect on a new claim!

Only problem is that the new and old claims I've read about appear to be from the same state.
If my new claim is from NJ, would I still be able to return to an older claim from NY?

I'm hoping there is no legal "interstate" technicality that will arise which will prevent me from reclaiming on an older UI EUC tiers claim if the new claim is from a different state?

Am I even required to file in NJ at all given that I've worked in NY within the past 18 months and NY has already accepted / denied my new claim which means I should be able to collect all the remaining tiers on my old claim right now?

The agent I spoke with told me I should claim in NJ to see if I can get benefits there first and that NJ has a higher maximum weekly benefit rate.
From the conversation, I assumed it was REQUIRED that I file with NJ, but I'm not sure that's the case.... a concern since I read on this forum, that "EB" benefits would not be available if a new claim is approved.

Doesn't it seem that I would be eligible to file a NJ claim at a later date, perhaps AFTER i finish my NY EUC / EB when my base work period in NJ would then include the entire 5 months I've worked there?

Of course, I'm hoping to find a new job before I exhaust any benefits, but I would like to know all my options.

Last edited by raymond2; 03-06-2011 at 05:19 PM..

Old 03-06-2011, 10:27 PM

13,637 posts, read 17,305,037 times
NY cannot reopen your first claim until you first attempt to establish a claim in NJ because that is where you were employed when you lost your job. Thus, you need to file a claim in NJ for this latest layoff. If you are eligible for NJ state benefits, those state benefits must be paid first before any remaining EUC benefits from an earlier claim.

It is possible that 13 weeks' benefits would not qualify you for EUC at all so, if you can wait until April to file, you might be able to capture your January and February earnings which would improve the benefit amount and length status of your second claim. NYS does give you the option of choosing the most advantageous alternate method including using January and February. I do not think that is the case in NJ. Hopefully, NJ will use an alternate method that includes January and February; however, if you have sufficient earnings through December 31 to establish a new claim, they will probably use that. You need to call NJ to see what your benefits would be if you file now or wait until April.

In either NY or NJ, you will lose EB from your first claim if a second claim is opened. Actually, you are better off if your NJ claim is eligible for EB, as NJ mandates EB payments, even if federal legislation is not extended provided unemployment triggers are met.

When you exhaust your NJ state benefits, you will then be able to continue to collect EUC tier benefits from your first NYS claim since you had begun those before the new claim was established. You cannot revert to earlier claim tier benefits if you had not already been collecting on them before the establishment of a new claim or end of a benefit year. The NJ claim should not preclude you from collecting on what remains from NY.

When the NYS tier benefits are exhausted, you should then move to the NJ tier benefits and EB if your claim is eligible.

Order in which benefits will be paid if you establish a NJ claim is:
  1. NJ State benefits
  2. NY Tier benefits
  3. NJ Tier Benefits if eligible
  4. NJ EB Benefits if eligible
I do not think a combined claim is applicable in your case, but am not sure about that. NJ has something called "commuter status" which might apply in your case depending on where you live.

In any event, you must file a claim w/NJ before reopening the NY claim. You do not have a choice on this.

Diorgirl is our resident guru on NJ. She will have other insight, I am sure.

Last edited by Ariadne22; 03-06-2011 at 10:50 PM..

Old 03-06-2011, 10:55 PM

But I was originally laid off in NY and there was an unused quarter of employment within 18 months which allowed NYDOL to accept the claim and process it. I even got mail regarding the monetary determination... which was a denial because I needed more income in another quarter.
The first agent who I reported my claim to told me that I would be placed on my original claim EUC tiers if new claim is denied.

Doesn't the 18 months work criteria give me the option of applying in NY since I have 3 months of employment there within that time frame?
Info on NJ unemployment on the internet generally says that if ALL my work was in NJ in the past 18 months, then i must apply in NJ.

Otherwise, it would seem to have some flexibility on where the claimant chooses to file... normally, the claimant would file in NJ only because his NY claim was denied or he simply wanted the higher monetary benefit from NJ.
In my case, I still have my previous unused tiers so I don't really need a NJ claim to get benefits.

Interesting thread here... Combined Wage Claims (NJ/NY)

NJ website benefits calculator says that I need to claim in JULY in order for January and Feb. in 2011 to be included in the same base year as my Oct. - Dec. 2010 quarter, so thats too long to go without benefits.

But you are sure that a new interstate Claim won't dis-allow me from collecting the tiers on my previous NY claim?

As far as EB goes:
13 weeks at $598 NJ would be $7,774
20 weeks EB at $405 NY would be $8,100

I actually have 27 weeks of NY EUC & 20 weeks of NY EB so that's about 10.5 months....so not really much of a difference especially since EB in NY ends on 1/8/2012 and my EB benefits would go 2 or 3 weeks past that deadline so i'd probably end up a few hundred ahead with a NJ claim if I can return to the NY tiers immediately afterwards.

Monetarily, it seems I will end up about the same whichever route I take , but claiming my remaining benefits from my existing NY online account is just so much simpler than dealing with another DOL agency in another state.

Last edited by raymond2; 03-06-2011 at 11:56 PM..

Old 03-06-2011, 11:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by raymond2 View Post
But I was originally laid off in NY and there was an unused quarter of employment within 18 months which allowed them to accept the claim and process it. I even got mail regarding the monetary determination.

Are you talking about NY accepting the claim and then sending you a monetary determination for this latest NJ layoff?

When did you get this monetary determination?

Doesn't the 18 months work criteria give me the option of applying in NY since I have 3 months of employment there within that time frame?

I don't know the answer to that. But NY told you to call NJ b/c that is the location of your last employer - not b/c your benefit might be better. Claims agents often say things that are not accurate. It is possible, however, NJ will establish a combined claim. The waters are very muddied in your area because so many live in NY and work in NJ, and vice versa.

Info on NJ unemployment on the internet generally says that if ALL my work was in NJ in the past 18 months, then i must apply in NJ.

I would not take that ALL so literally.

Otherwise, it would seem to have some flexibility on where the claimant chooses to file... normally, the claimant would file in NJ only if his NY claim was denied because he doesn't have a previous claim to draw funds from.

Didn't NY refuse to take this latest claim until you talk to NJ? NY wants you to go through NJ.

Because you had new earnings while working in NJ, you could be eligible for a new state claim from NJ.

State benefits must be paid first before EUC benefits.

If you exhausted your NYS state benefits, it is possible a combined claim would not be possible until you had exhausted your NJ benefits.

NJ website benefits calculator says that I need to claim in JULY in order for January and Feb. in 2011 to be included in the same base year so thats too long to go without benefits.

Weren't you talking about wages through December 31 as part of an alternate NJ method calculation? Ergo, if you file in April, wages through 3/31 might be part of the calculation. But, as I said, if you file now, using the alternate method you discussed, this would exclude January and February.

NJ and most states usually only revert to an alternate method if the regular method does not qualify you.

NY is an exception to this wherein they give you the option of choosing the most advantageous base period. That is rare.

You need to call NJ on this, as I said. Not everything is on the website.

You need to ask about the possibility of a combined claim and the most advantageous time to file.

Old 03-06-2011, 11:38 PM

Base Year Period for April 2010 - March 31, 2011 only for claims dated July 2011 - Sept. 2011.

I worked Oct. 2010 - end of February 2011 in NJ.

Perhaps I can file in April and qualify for an Alternate Base Period that includes all 5 months?
I will ask a NJ Agent.

Department of Labor and Workforce Development | What is Needed to Qualify? Did You Earn Enough?

Every NY agent says I didn't certify yet for my weekly benefits when i call until I told them that I have a new claim filed which they then say, oh, you might be eligible for NJ benefits.

I think One agent actually asked me whether i wanted to open my extensions and I asked, Don't i need to file in NJ...? to which she said, sure, if you want to qualify for a new claim.

From my recollection, Noone actually said I needed to, I assumed they meant that I had to, but will call again to ask.

Here's the thread I read about interstate NY /NJ claims: Combined Wage Claims (NJ/NY)

Last edited by raymond2; 03-06-2011 at 11:54 PM..

Old 03-06-2011, 11:40 PM

Quote:
But you are sure that a new interstate Claim won't dis-allow me from collecting the tiers on my previous NY claim?
Yes. We have had people report that before they could continue tier benefits on their current claim in their state of residence, they were required to exhaust EUC tiers from an earlier claim in another state.

Ask NJ about that, too, when you finally file. Hopefully, you will get a knowledgeable agent. Do not take as gospel anything from any agent unless you have confirmed it a couple of times. We have reports from just about every state on misinformation. The laws are confusing and complicated. Not very many agents are expert in all of the nuances.

I understand not wanting to deal with another DOL. It is bad enough dealing with one.

Old 03-06-2011, 11:43 PM

Btw, Ariadne22... I read many of your posts in other threads!

You provided lots of Great Info on this Topic... Thanks!

Old 03-06-2011, 11:45 PM

Quote:
Btw, Ariadne22... I read many of your posts in other threads!

You provided lots of Great Info on this Topic... Thanks!
Good luck. Let us know what happens. Yours is an interesting situation.

Old 03-07-2011, 11:07 PM

8 posts, read 11,137 times
Thumbs down This is long and i'm sorry but does anyone completely understand how unemployment works in this lovely state of nj??

I wanna start off by saying hello to everyone. I decided to sign up because every time I looked up unemployment in NJ this forum popped up. I'm from the Bergen County area and live close to Paterson. So, if there is anyone else on here from my area and went through this, PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE COMMENT!!! I wanna know if I'm the only one this happened to.

Since I have been unemployed of 10/09, it has been a terrible experience. I am lucky to have been able to get the checks, because if I didn't I would be in a lot of trouble!! I worked somewhere for a little over 2 years at a doctor's office as a medical assistant. It was a very bad environment. A lot of things they did there was way below what people who live in this time period should be using in an office, like using a computer to schedule or for ANYTHING for that matter, not using the correct method of taking temperatures, (mercury thermometers and only 3 of them and using them for rectal, and oral)...the list goes on of all the things they did illegally to OSHA'S standards. Then to add to that, making my life a living hell!!! The 2 main docs were just really miserable human beings. One of them already was sued for putting his hands on one of the medical assistants years before I came along and what a nice front he put on!! I don't know which one was worse!! The creep that lingered over me and started verbal altercations with me at least once a week, or the other one who only took care of his kind of people and was a racist to everyone else. The women docs I worked with were so great to work with though, so it made it a little easier. I really would rather not say what area of the medical field I was in or where I was working, so please don't ask.
I kept trying to look elsewhere while I was working there, but was unsuccessful in finding anything. It got to the point where Ive had enough there. I didn't want to go to work a lot but I still woke up everyday and went to work. Well, thank god I kept notes of everything that they said or did to me. Because, I got let go in a very inappropriate manner. Of course it was some excuse for something that I didn't do. Some scheduling problem. Luckily, I kept that in my notes as well what happened that day too. If it were not for the notes, I probably would've gotten denied. So a word of advice for all TAKE NOTES especially if you're in a bad situation at work. I got my unemployment claim accepted because of all the notes I took. Of course they told lies about me that never happened to unemployment. I sent all of that to the unemployment office and that is how it got accepted.

So, I get this letter in the mail about a grant that we could receive. I thought thats great! I could go back to school and get more education in the medical field. Thats when the nightmare started!! I first tried to go to the Bergen County office and they were "too busy to help me" and sent me to the Paterson office. So, I go there to find out information on this grant that I could get. I go through only some of the workshops, because I wasn't even aware there were other workshops also. Meet with a career counselor and was told to change my resume and nothing more. Went to some other workshop about getting into school and was told to apply. I apply for this grant and financial aid. DENIED. Then they say you can apply yourself but it has to get approved before. But if you make the mistake of saying you're attending school, if you apply without approval from unemployment,you could lose your benefits. I get nervous and I don't go through with it. I kept getting denied for financial aid also. I keep looking for a job and I'm not getting calls back. I get interviews, but no responses after that or the response was not enough training. I really don't have a lot of experience yet in this field. I really loved what I was doing too and want to continue.

I get my first notice that my benefits are exhausted in May of 2010. I was able to still collect. I continued to look for jobs with no success and try to get help from unemployment to get retrained as an MA or as something better. I even called the main office numerous times in Boston to go above them and see why I was not being helped. They would call me back, say they would contact someone in NJ and I would never hear from anyone. It felt like I was going in circles with them!

So a long time goes by and I finally get hired somewhere end of this summer until Sept. I was reporting to unemployment the hours that I was working there and would get a check in the amount of the difference. It was in a different field then what I was used to and everything was electronic. Where I was working before, I didn't use all the skills I had learned because the doctors really didn't let us do much. The company knew all of this but hired me anyway. They expected me to learn the computer system in only a few days and would just throw me into it. I really felt uncomfortable because of my lack of training and I felt really stupid. That made me realize where I went to school for this was not a good school at all, but the field I really belong in. I still try and look in the field I am interested in with no luck and still no help from unemployment. I emailed the person in charge of one stop a few days ago asking for help again, saying that I have been unemployed for a year now with no help from them and no success in finding a job in my field. There is a huge gap on my resume because of this and I am not getting hired anywhere. I explained that I went to some of the workshops, but never knew about all of them I had to go because I was not told to go to them to get approved for training. Today I called them to schedule an appointment and never got a call back.

The mail comes today and I got a letter as a notice of determination for extended unemployment stating that I'm not eligible because I did not work 20 base weeks of employment in the base year of the original claim which is 2010 on the notice. It also said Benefit year ending 10/24/2011. So what does that mean?? My claim is from 2009!! Somewhere in between 10/16 and 11/10 of last year the claim date was changed to 2010. When I called 11/2010 for a letter I received, this was not explained to me at all that it was a new claim and I thought the date change was for extended benefits. I never filed for a new claim and if the last place I worked filed a claim, I was never notified. I am really confused now and have to wait to call them tomorrow and probably deal with more nonsense.
By my calculations, my first extension was May 2010. Second extension was Nov 2010. By Feb 27 2011 I filed my continued claim and got the note that said benefits exhausted I would be eligible for extension.

So here's the question, does anyone know why the date was changed when it was from the same claim in 2009? Was this a mistake? Has this happened to anyone else and how do I get this fixed?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment