U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Merry Christmas!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
 
 
Old 03-08-2011, 02:18 AM
 
Location: Stockton, CA
4 posts, read 37,313 times
Reputation: 13

Advertisements

Hello everyone!

Before I start off, I should say that I'm in California, in case that makes a difference.

The place I worked at closed down January of 2010. I applied when it closed, and have been receiving unemployment compensation since February 2010.

I am on my 2nd extension/tier now, and have noticed that at the top of my form, on the stub, it says my claim expires 02-05-11. It's always said this, I just never realized how close the date would be until recently. There are approximately 2 checks left until my current extension is over.

I'm wondering, will I able able to apply for my 3rd extension/tier even though my claim ended on 02-05-11? I'm not sure how it works, as I've seen some peoples' claims end completely and some have been able to get all the way to their 4th tier.

On a side note, EDD automatically reapplied me for a NEW claim, but I was denied. I received a letter saying I was denied because I didn't work at all in the year of 2010... which I didn't, because I was obviously on unemployment.

Any advice and insight would be appreciated, thank you!
Quick reply to this message

 
Old 03-08-2011, 09:25 AM
 
330 posts, read 896,210 times
Reputation: 142
Quote:
Originally Posted by l jenkins View Post
Hello everyone!

Before I start off, I should say that I'm in California, in case that makes a difference.

The place I worked at closed down January of 2010. I applied when it closed, and have been receiving unemployment compensation since February 2010.

I am on my 2nd extension/tier now, and have noticed that at the top of my form, on the stub, it says my claim expires 02-05-11. It's always said this, I just never realized how close the date would be until recently. There are approximately 2 checks left until my current extension is over.

I'm wondering, will I able able to apply for my 3rd extension/tier even though my claim ended on 02-05-11? I'm not sure how it works, as I've seen some peoples' claims end completely and some have been able to get all the way to their 4th tier.

On a side note, EDD automatically reapplied me for a NEW claim, but I was denied. I received a letter saying I was denied because I didn't work at all in the year of 2010... which I didn't, because I was obviously on unemployment.

Any advice and insight would be appreciated, thank you!
I think they made a mistake, you should have gone on to the next tier. You might want to consider appealing.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-08-2011, 09:50 AM
 
Location: New Jersey
3,814 posts, read 8,093,399 times
Reputation: 917
Quote:
Originally Posted by l jenkins View Post
Hello everyone!

Before I start off, I should say that I'm in California, in case that makes a difference.

The place I worked at closed down January of 2010. I applied when it closed, and have been receiving unemployment compensation since February 2010.

I am on my 2nd extension/tier now, and have noticed that at the top of my form, on the stub, it says my claim expires 02-05-11. It's always said this, I just never realized how close the date would be until recently. There are approximately 2 checks left until my current extension is over.

I'm wondering, will I able able to apply for my 3rd extension/tier even though my claim ended on 02-05-11? I'm not sure how it works, as I've seen some peoples' claims end completely and some have been able to get all the way to their 4th tier.

On a side note, EDD automatically reapplied me for a NEW claim, but I was denied. I received a letter saying I was denied because I didn't work at all in the year of 2010... which I didn't, because I was obviously on unemployment.

Any advice and insight would be appreciated, thank you!
Quote:
Originally Posted by zaj2 View Post
I think they made a mistake, you should have gone on to the next tier. You might want to consider appealing.
There is nothing to appeal -- your claim is proceeding as it should.

Everyone must re-certify at their one-year anniversary. California did that for you when they opened a new claim and it was denied. Since your new claim was denied, your existing claim continues -- as evidenced by the fact that you have continued to receive benefits after your 02-05-11 benefits year-end expiration date.

Since you say you still have several payments left on Tier II, you should be able to exhaust your Tier II benefits and then proceed to Tier III with no problem.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-08-2011, 09:53 AM
 
398 posts, read 757,591 times
Reputation: 410
Quote:
Originally Posted by l jenkins View Post
Hello everyone!

Before I start off, I should say that I'm in California, in case that makes a difference.

The place I worked at closed down January of 2010. I applied when it closed, and have been receiving unemployment compensation since February 2010.

I am on my 2nd extension/tier now, and have noticed that at the top of my form, on the stub, it says my claim expires 02-05-11. It's always said this, I just never realized how close the date would be until recently. There are approximately 2 checks left until my current extension is over.

I'm wondering, will I able able to apply for my 3rd extension/tier even though my claim ended on 02-05-11? I'm not sure how it works, as I've seen some peoples' claims end completely and some have been able to get all the way to their 4th tier.

On a side note, EDD automatically reapplied me for a NEW claim, but I was denied. I received a letter saying I was denied because I didn't work at all in the year of 2010... which I didn't, because I was obviously on unemployment.

Any advice and insight would be appreciated, thank you!
I don't live in Cali, but...

1 year is the normal length of time for an unemployment claim to be open.
After 1 year, you need to reapply for unemployment to see if your are eligible for a new claim... which your EDD apparently did for you.

If your NEW claim is approved for benefits, you will have a new claim to collect from, but since you had no employment since your previous claim, your application was denied for NEW unemployment benefits.

Denial for a new claim means you will be able to continue collecting on your previous UI extension tiers if you have not used them all yet.

Only question is whether you have to apply to continue the extensions or CA EDD will automatically update and adjust your account for you so that your previous Claim remains active.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-08-2011, 03:05 PM
 
Location: Stockton, CA
4 posts, read 37,313 times
Reputation: 13
Thank you everyone for the replies!

I am hoping my claim continues. diorgirl, you said because I continued to receive payments after my claim expiration date, that I'm most likely going to be eligible for the 3rd tier? Have there ever been cases where claims have ended before the remaining balance had been exhausted, but was not fully paid? I'm hoping there hasn't been, because it'd pretty much mean my next extension was secure.

I don't think I fully understand how the unemployment system works. Obama recently passed the whole bill that enabled up to 99 weeks of unemployment benefits, but my question is, do 99 weeks apply for everyone on unemployment? What throws me off is the "up to," which I'm thinking falls into "if you are eligible." If the later is true, what qualifies someone to be eligible for the next claim?

Or am I just thinking too deep into this. But thank you for the advice, everyone! It's much appreciated.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-08-2011, 04:04 PM
 
Location: Stockton, CA
4 posts, read 37,313 times
Reputation: 13
And another question, do I still have to file for taxes for the 2010 year? I received a 1099G, different from the usual W2 I'd get. I've been trying to find information online, but everything I've found has said "if you're required to." How do I find out if I'm required to.

I'm sorry, these questions are probably ridiculous, but I'm clueless.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-08-2011, 04:51 PM
 
Location: New Jersey
3,814 posts, read 8,093,399 times
Reputation: 917
Quote:
Originally Posted by l jenkins View Post
Thank you everyone for the replies!

I am hoping my claim continues. diorgirl, you said because I continued to receive payments after my claim expiration date, that I'm most likely going to be eligible for the 3rd tier? Have there ever been cases where claims have ended before the remaining balance had been exhausted, but was not fully paid? I'm hoping there hasn't been, because it'd pretty much mean my next extension was secure.

If you had qualified for a new claim at your benefit year end -- which you did not -- any remaining balance you may have had on your original claim would not be paid immediately.

You would first collect the regular benefits on your new claim, and then any remaining Tier benefits you have on your original claim would be paid. But since you did not qualify for a new claim at this time -- as you were informed by California -- that won't be the case in your situation.


I don't think I fully understand how the unemployment system works. Obama recently passed the whole bill that enabled up to 99 weeks of unemployment benefits, but my question is, do 99 weeks apply for everyone on unemployment?

No. Not all states qualify for all four Tiers (certain three-month average unemployment rates are required for Tiers III and IV). The Tiers available in your state should be detailed on its unemployment website.

In addition, the amount of weeks for which you qualify in each Tier is prorated based on how many weeks of regular benefits you qualify for on the original claim. So if you qualify for 26 weeks (or 100%) of regular benefits, you will be eligible for 100% of the weeks in each of the Tiers offered in your state. If you qualify for fewer than 26 weeks of regular benefits, the number of weeks for which you will be eligible in each Tier will be pro-rated accordingly.


What throws me off is the "up to," which I'm thinking falls into "if you are eligible." If the later is true, what qualifies someone to be eligible for the next claim?

You must accumulate eligible earnings while you are collecting unemployment during your benefit year sufficient to qualify for a new claim to be opened. This may be done through part-time jobs or through temporary assignments.
You might want to review your state's unemployment website for a list of the extensions available to you.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-08-2011, 04:53 PM
 
Location: New Jersey
3,814 posts, read 8,093,399 times
Reputation: 917
Quote:
Originally Posted by l jenkins View Post
And another question, do I still have to file for taxes for the 2010 year? I received a 1099G, different from the usual W2 I'd get. I've been trying to find information online, but everything I've found has said "if you're required to." How do I find out if I'm required to.
Unemployment insurance benefits are taxable income for federal purposes but are not taxable by the State of California.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-08-2011, 09:39 PM
 
Location: Wisconsin
14,427 posts, read 19,330,425 times
Reputation: 6921
Quote:
Originally Posted by l jenkins View Post
And another question, do I still have to file for taxes for the 2010 year? I received a 1099G, different from the usual W2 I'd get. I've been trying to find information online, but everything I've found has said "if you're required to." How do I find out if I'm required to.
Best way to find out if you need to file a tax return is to do one. Get a 1040EZ and fill it out if you don't itemize or have other schedules.

As a single filer you receive a personal exemption of $3,650, a standard exemption of $5,700, for a total of $9,350. If your unemployment benefits exceed that amount, you are required to file a federal return. I would file one anyway if you have always filed until this year - even if no tax due. IRS gets curious when no tax return is filed.

Tax due is 10% up to taxable income of $10,000, 15% on amounts over that. Your state may also tax unemployment benefits. Most people pay taxes on unemployment benefits.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-08-2011, 10:55 PM
 
Location: New Jersey
3,814 posts, read 8,093,399 times
Reputation: 917
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariadne22 View Post
Your state may also tax unemployment benefits. Most people pay taxes on unemployment benefits.
Quote:
Originally Posted by l jenkins View Post
Before I start off, I should say that I'm in California, in case that makes a difference.
As previously posted...
Quote:
Originally Posted by diorgirl View Post
Unemployment insurance benefits are taxable income for federal purposes but are not taxable by the State of California.
Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


 
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:
Over $89,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top