Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-24-2011, 09:47 AM

264 posts, read 457,322 times

Advertisements

Since resigning my last position with the federal government, I have been unemployed for over 16 months. During that time period, I obtained an additional postgraduate degree, submitted countless applications, and had two potential job offers rescinded at the last minute. As I departed my previous position voluntarily, I was deemed not eligible for unemployment compensation and have been living off the income of my spouse ever since. Given the continuing reduction of employment opportunities in my field, I'm beginning feel as though I'm entering a period of "structural" unemployment in my career.

Who else here has been unemployed for one year or more? Please feel free to share your personal experience.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2011, 06:55 PM

207 posts, read 501,150 times
I haven't been, but I was looking for work for 7 months in 2010, which I will admit was the worst 7 months of my life. I've worked since I had a paper route at 10, and that was only the second I wasn't working since I was a little kid.

During unemployment I interviewed for an assistant manager position at a bank, and was instead offered a lessor position only payed $28,000 though. So I kept looking. Then I interviewed for a sales position near Cinci, went for 4 very in depth interviews, they told me I was the final candidate and could I come down for the hiring interview in 2 days. I couldn't so they pulled the offer

I was pretty devastated at this point. I was then told a good job offer was coming in 3 days, the call never came and when I called, I was told that HR didn't approve me for whatever reason. Finally, 3 months later I was offered an even better position at the same company. Now I'm happy as I have ever been.

Keep your chin up, it'll all work out, and youll wonder how on Earth it did, but you'll be fine in the end.

Old 03-24-2011, 11:24 PM

2 posts, read 3,716 times
I've been laid off for 15 months. This is Hell. The country is dying and unless you are pushing IT data around at the Famous Fab 5, cisco,oracle,ibm,microsoft,google with message boards just like this and selling advertising You are dead. I am seeing Hundreds of SharePoint jobs but they ALL ask for 1-2-3 years experience using MOSS 2007 or Sharepoint 2010 and with that knowledge of Server 2008R2. AND ALL the Certifications that go with em like ciscos CCNA,CCNP and Msft's MCSE, MCTS. Even though Ive did that kind work for 12 years they dont give a damn. If Ya Ain't got a Sherriff's Badge cowboy Ya can't play in our Sandbox. Arf Arf Arf cough.

Old 03-25-2011, 02:28 AM

372 posts, read 521,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReturningWest View Post
Know that all of us on here that are long term unemployed are working and have been working very hard to find work. Many of us worked for decades before loosing our jobs.
Same here. Laid off after working almost continuously since I was 18. Twenty-two months here, with only three weeks of UI benefits left.

My latest job interview was on Wednesday, in which I had to go through three separate interviews and will (more than likely), be the last one before my benefits run out completely. My mind has run the gamut from near despair to euphoria (then back again) during the past two years, getting my hopes up after a job interview--only to receive
a rejection slip or never hear from the employer again.

It used to be that one could walk in off the street and get hired on the spot (I was one of them). Not anymore. You and I are among the millions of "99-Weekers" who have been labeled as "sorry", "lazy" and "drug-dependent" (despite evidence to the contrary),
by presumptuous and self-inflating politicians who no more have our best interest at heart
than we can fly, and by others who don't know (and don't want to know) just how tough this job market is---and could honestly care less.

Old 03-25-2011, 04:17 PM

1,446 posts, read 3,551,562 times
[forgot who OP was]

Last edited by Java378; 03-25-2011 at 04:33 PM..

Old 03-25-2011, 07:10 PM

2,631 posts, read 7,016,275 times
I Have been unemployed for 5 months. Its tough to get a job but its my school schedule thats to blame.

Old 03-25-2011, 09:06 PM

18,665 posts, read 19,970,287 times
Gerrygal, If I recall correctly, you said you are in Georgia. Even if not close enough to commute, why not go seek work at VW or its new suppliers in metro Chattanooga. If you can get hired, and cannot sell the house, by all means, rent it. Some suppliers are already well into hiring.

Old 03-25-2011, 11:51 PM

1,264 posts, read 2,438,714 times
Graduated with an MA in Geography last MA.
No work yet.

Old 03-26-2011, 03:06 AM

372 posts, read 521,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtn View Post
Gerrygal, If I recall correctly, you said you are in Georgia. Even if not close enough to commute, why not go seek work at VW or its new suppliers in metro Chattanooga. If you can get hired, and cannot sell the house, by all means, rent it. Some suppliers are already well into hiring.
I live 150 miles from Chattanooga. The house I live is not mine to sell (I pay them rent).

Old 03-26-2011, 01:48 PM

18,665 posts, read 19,970,287 times
Then I'd pursue VW, and if hired, move to a new rental near Chattanooga. VW is going to have a huge impact. They are already considering doubling their initial 150,000 vehicle production via a 2nd vehicle rollout.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment