U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2011, 02:54 AM

3,814 posts, read 7,646,942 times
Just FYI -- a bill is currently under discussion by House Republicans that would send unused emergency spending (such as allocations for EB that are unclaimed by states) back to the U.S. Treasury to reduce the national deficit. This is part of a growing initiative by House Republicans to identify and retrieve unused funds -- both budgeted allocations and emergency outlays -- and have them applied to the federal deficit.

Similar legislation was introduced earlier this year by freshman Representative Sean Duffy (R-Wis.) -- the RESET (“Recovering Excessive Stimulus Expenditures for Taxpayers”) Act. It would have “rescinded all unobligated balances” appropriated under the stimulus act and returned them to the U.S. Treasury “for federal budget deficit reduction.” Duffy's bill was subsequently absorbed into a Republican spending bill.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2011, 06:33 AM

2 posts, read 1,693 times
I appreciate you diorgirl and however as effective as you have been to help me make sense of all this......... my reality as as a soon to be 41 year old single, masters educated woman without an ounce of income thanks to someones political platform makes it even more difficult.

Old 04-17-2011, 11:23 AM

79 posts, read 111,633 times
How does EB work anyways?

I have two checks left until I'm off the tiers, and am having a hard time trying to find a job (they look at you like you're crazy if you've been unemployed for a year).

Does anyone know when I should be filling out a claim for extended benefits? Has anyone here got extended benefits before and if so do you remember the gap between your last tier check and your first eb check?

Old 04-17-2011, 05:10 PM

13,120 posts, read 16,000,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuck91NYG View Post
the terrible thing about TN and Utah turning down that money, it's already budgeted money. We are talking about on average of 100 million dollars for the EB funding in most of these states. That money is going to get absorbed into another department of the federal government.
Wisconsin also is DOING NOTHING. I have been emailing daily. Tomorrow I start with phone calls.

Our Gov. turned down train money because it didn't matter if it was 'free' federal money, it was taxpayer money and, on principle, he was opposed to taking it. Same is true of EB money, I am certain.

These people think the unemployed are loafers, milking the system. Case cited above single mother with masters degree and no job and no income - somehow they refuse to believe these things are happening.

TN, unfortunately, never has had a responsive unemployment department from what I've read here.

WI, up until the time of Walker, was great. I got direct action from Gov. Doyle's office within 48 hours when my benefits were stalled in the system. Would NEVER happen, now.

Milwaukee County still has an 8.4% 'official' unemployment rate. In reality, it's much worse. Guess they don't care about that, either.

Old 04-17-2011, 05:22 PM

621 posts, read 1,062,079 times
Everyone sees lowered national unemployment rates. What they don't realize is that its due to the lowest labor force participation rates since wwII. The BLS just labels workers as discouraged, poof lowers unemployment rates.

Old 04-17-2011, 05:30 PM

13,120 posts, read 16,000,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michael1977 View Post
How does EB work anyways?

I have two checks left until I'm off the tiers, and am having a hard time trying to find a job (they look at you like you're crazy if you've been unemployed for a year).

Does anyone know when I should be filling out a claim for extended benefits? Has anyone here got extended benefits before and if so do you remember the gap between your last tier check and your first eb check?
Status of EB is state dependent. One size does not fit all. Assuming you are in living and claiming in Florida, based on your previous posts. Florida is not due to trigger off until October earliest per NELP chart. EB is paid after tiers are exhausted - up to 20 weeks depending on your state's unemployment rate. FL's rate is 11.1%, well over the 6.5% and 8.5% triggers and 110% threshold for now.

FL will be sending you certification forms:
Quote:
If your EUC benefits exhaust on or before December 31, 2011, certification forms will be mailed for your existing EB claim, payment for claimed weeks will begin as soon as certifications are processed. Since you have an existing EB claim, you will not receive a new determination of monetary entitlement.
Agency for Workforce Innovation - Unemployment Compensation Extended Benefits

Old 04-17-2011, 08:23 PM

143 posts, read 133,873 times
PA fell to 7.8 percent does this effect eb or hup in PA?

Old 04-17-2011, 08:39 PM

621 posts, read 1,062,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jznomoney View Post
It depends on the previous 3 month moving average. I would keep an eye on your states unemployment website

Old 04-17-2011, 09:49 PM

3,814 posts, read 7,646,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jznomoney View Post
A few things to note:
• In order to qualify for EB (13 weeks), a state must have a three-month average unemployment rate of at least 6%. To qualify for High EB -- or HUP-- (7 additional weeks), a state must have a three-month average unemployment rate of at least 8%.

• The determination of a state's eligibility for these benefits is based on the monthly unemployment rate as calculated by the federal Bureau of Labor Statistics (BLS). The BLS state numbers for March 2011 will be released on Tuesday, April 19, 2011.

• If the BLS number for March 2011 for Pennsylvania is the 7.8% you mention, then Pennsylvania should continue to offer both EB and HUP.

Monthly rates for Pennsylvania: January 2011 - 8.2%; February 2011 - 8.0%; March 2011 - 7.8% = Three-month average rate - 8.0%

Old 04-18-2011, 12:53 PM

2 posts, read 1,853 times
Default TN Extended Benefits

I just wanted to post a message that I live in TN and I have sent e-mails to the TN Dept of Labor and Workforce, state reps, legislators, and the governor. I sent them out on 4/12/11. I received one back from Dept of Labor and Workforce the next day stating that I needed to contact my legislator, and my governor, which I had already done. So yesterday I sent the same e-mail I had previously sent plus added a little more detail as well as stated that I had not heard back from anyone. So this morning I received an e-mail back from the governor and it stated that I needed to contact the Dept of Labor and Workforce. It seems nobody in the state of TN wants to take responsibility for extended benefits being cut off they want to put the blame on other departments, and continue to give us Tennesseans the run around. One of the things that I stated in my letter is that some of the other states are trying to help their unemployed citizens. However Tennessee is known at the volunteer state because we help other states that are in need, but it time that Tennessee looks in there own back yard because there are people in need and Tennessee needs to help there citizens.
Is there anyway that TN will approve a 3 year look back and give us our Extended Benefits back> Because there are people out there looking for a job and cannot find one. Like stated in a previously not all of us are freeloaders like some of our legislators and governor thinks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment