Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2011, 02:26 PM

62 posts, read 143,359 times

Advertisements

Thanks for the update. Hopefully he will sign it by today.

Quote:
Originally Posted by diorgirl View Post
The Indiana Senate has approved the extension of EB, and it is awaiting the signature of Governor Mitch Daniels (R). If the Governor signs the bill by April 15 -- today -- claimants will see no disruption in payments.

Indiana Senate approves bill to keep unemployment extension active | The Courier-Journal | courier-journal.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2011, 08:43 PM

3,814 posts, read 11,960,548 times
In the final moments of the last day of the legislative session, the Georgia State House and Senate approved extending EB. The bill now heads to the governor for his signature.

Unemployment insurance extended *| ajc.com
Ga. Legislature Oks extending unemployment benefits 20 weeks for 22,000 Georgians
Lawmakers Extend Jobless Benefits

Old 04-16-2011, 09:20 AM

621 posts, read 2,323,297 times
NC showdown forces Gov. Perdue to accept budget cuts or stalled unemployment benefits for 37K

Republicans in North Carolina are forcing the Governor to sign a bill that fixes the EB loopback to three years but also has 13% budget cut attached to it. No word on if the governor will sign the bill. The state has until today to sign legislation or face a lapse in EB payments after today.

Old 04-16-2011, 02:54 PM

North Carolina Governor Beverly Perdue's office said Saturday she would veto legislation that would have kept EB checks flowing -- rather than accept Republican state legislators' insistence that she must accept a double-digit budget cut in return for extending the benefits. Perdue had called the linkage "extortion".

Perdue's announcement came hours after a handful of House members met to start the clock on a choice Perdue had to make before authorization for the federally funded jobless benefits ran out later Saturday.

Gov. Perdue to veto jobless benefits, cuts | BlueRidgeNow.com

Old 04-16-2011, 05:15 PM

186 posts, read 364,574 times
should i be worried about christie not signing this month for eb to go on? what states officially stopped paying eb so far?

Old 04-16-2011, 06:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ms1234 View Post
should i be worried about christie not signing this month for eb to go on? what states officially stopped paying eb so far?
Christie has 45 days from the date the legislation was sent to his desk (around April 1st) or it reverts to law. The chances of Christie letting that happen is slim. However the state legislatures could override a veto if Christie chooses to veto the bill. The state unemployment report is due out May 20th so NJ would stop paying out after June 11th. That's federal guidelines.

With the states unemployment rate going to 9.3% last month (due to due discouraged workers returning to the labor pool) IMO, he has no leg to stand on not to. Thus means NJs unemployment situation was understated for several months (classifying people as discouraged drops labor force participation and helps lower unemployment ratios).

Old 04-16-2011, 07:39 PM

186 posts, read 364,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuck91NYG View Post
Christie has 45 days from the date the legislation was sent to his desk (around April 1st) or it reverts to law. The chances of Christie letting that happen is slim. However the state legislatures could override a veto if Christie chooses to veto the bill. The state unemployment report is due out May 20th so NJ would stop paying out after June 11th. That's federal guidelines.

With the states unemployment rate going to 9.3% last month (due to due discouraged workers returning to the labor pool) IMO, he has no leg to stand on not to. Thus means NJs unemployment situation was understated for several months (classifying people as discouraged drops labor force participation and helps lower unemployment ratios).

thanks for that info tuck..at least i know now that i still have income coming in for another month and a half if i don't find a job

Old 04-16-2011, 10:51 PM

2 posts, read 2,895 times
diorgirl..... Can you help me to understand why TN has triggered off EB and noone is concerned. Why has this not generated a stir. Why no help from lawmakers or one word from the gov. What are we as in thousands to do??

Old 04-17-2011, 12:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Specialkay70 View Post
diorgirl..... Can you help me to understand why TN has triggered off EB and noone is concerned. Why has this not generated a stir. Why no help from lawmakers or one word from the gov. What are we as in thousands to do??
I know how enormously frustrating this is. But the reasons why state legislators do or don't do things are rarely ever straightforward or obvious -- despite what political pundits might have you believe.

Two reasons for the lack of action in Tennessee which have been the focus of local media there:

Quote:
(1) Legislators surprised by consistently high unemployment rate - Don Ingram, Administrator for Employment Security for the Tennessee Department of Labor & Workforce Development, said that legislators [and Governor Bill Haslam] may not have worked on a bill to prevent the benefits from being cut because no one had predicted that the unemployment rate would still be high. He also offered that the state may want to be fiscally responsible and not burden the federal government.
State loses out on federal program benefits
Last week I heard someone vigorously protest the description of funding of EB as "free money." "It's not 'free money,'" he insisted. "It's China's money." I think that pretty much summarizes the position of people so concerned about the growing national deficit that they are seeking to slash federal budget expenditures -- particularly those designated "emergency spending" as for unemployment.
Quote:
(2) Expected jobs creation to reduce employment - Most who won recent elections ran on platforms that supported jobs creation instead of the extension unemployment benefits.

Democrats have questioned the lack of a jobs plan from Governor Bill Haslam and have been trying to get support for creating a small business sales tax holiday and a plan to require the state to give contracts to state companies.

Republicans have maintained that government can't create jobs. They said they are working on improving the business climate by trying to cap damages on lawsuits, and Lt. Gov. Ron Ramsey is setting up a site to help businesses work through government bureaucracy.
Stimulus-Funded Unemployment Benefits Run Out - Money News Story - WSMV Nashville
Regrettably, the only answer may be that among all the issues competing for legislators' attention in this economy, unemployment benefits -- and their associated cost -- are simply no longer a priority.

And while Tennessee may be among only a handful of states which are not enacting laws to extend EB at this time, all signs indicate that support for any extended benefits beyond 2011 is greatly diminishing nationwide.

Nevertheless, I realize that doesn't ease the pain in Tennessee, and I wish I had better answers to the "why?" questions about this issue for all of us.

Old 04-17-2011, 12:41 AM

the terrible thing about TN and Utah turning down that money, it's already budgeted money. We are talking about on average of 100 million dollars for the EB funding in most of these states. That money is going to get absorbed into another department of the federal government.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment