U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2011, 01:38 PM

274 posts, read 68,760 times
Default MA unemployment question: work search logs??

The rule here in Massachusetts is that you supply your work search log IF you're asked for it. I've never had to provide mine, and I've never heard of anyone I know having to provide theirs, so I'm wondering: Do they ever ask??

Reason I ask is, my computer crashed, and that's where my search logs were --- I know, I should have kept a written log, but it was just easier to keep on a spreadsheet!

Has anyone been contacted for their work search logs? What happens if you don't have anything??

Kinda terrified now!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2011, 08:57 AM

1,296 posts, read 1,174,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by datacity12 View Post
The rule here in Massachusetts is that you supply your work search log IF you're asked for it. I've never had to provide mine, and I've never heard of anyone I know having to provide theirs, so I'm wondering: Do they ever ask??

Reason I ask is, my computer crashed, and that's where my search logs were --- I know, I should have kept a written log, but it was just easier to keep on a spreadsheet!

Has anyone been contacted for their work search logs? What happens if you don't have anything??

Kinda terrified now!
I'm in MA, and out of work for 7 months. I haven't been asked yet either. I think that them asking, is only when you're on EB. Just in case, you may want to start keeping your work-search records in writing, right away. I do. Good luck.

Old 04-07-2011, 11:05 AM

Thanks for your response! So, 7 months, you're obviously on EB at this point? Can you tell me what the process was for you to go from regular UI to EB? I read somewhere on the mass.gov site that I would be contacted, but I'm a little concerned that this won't happen.

I'm surpised how little information there is about this stuff. Their website gives a very general overview, and if you call, you wait an hour just to talk to someone who is hurrying you off the phone. I must be a bad googler, because I find it near impossible to find any information anywhere else on line. Seems like all I find is information for people going from Tier 2 to Tier 3, or 99ers, etc.

Old 04-07-2011, 09:31 PM

30 posts, read 53,443 times
Thumbs down I was never asked

Work logs would only be requested during the last 20 of the 99 weeks, currently, after Tier 4. You would receive a letter requesting that you submit a log for a specific date range after Tier 4. No letter, no worries.
I'm honestly not sure MA has all 4 tiers anymore because the unemployment rate is below qualifying threshholds.
That's how it was explained to me by a DUA rep.
I'm 2 weeks short of being a 99r & I never received a request. I made enough, weekly email contacts from a gmail acct I set up specifically for my job search. I didn't have to write anything down. Even if my computer explodes, I can get the search log info by logging into that gmail, on any other machine.
Good news is I'm wrapping up an offer from a great company & should be back in a great job just in time.
Good luck!j

Old 04-08-2011, 07:42 AM

Quote:
Thanks for your response! So, 7 months, you're obviously on EB at this point? Can you tell me what the process was for you to go from regular UI to EB? I read somewhere on the mass.gov site that I would be contacted, but I'm a little concerned that this won't happen.

I'm surpised how little information there is about this stuff. Their website gives a very general overview, and if you call, you wait an hour just to talk to someone who is hurrying you off the phone. I must be a bad googler, because I find it near impossible to find any information anywhere else on line. Seems like all I find is information for people going from Tier 2 to Tier 3, or 99ers, etc.
I'm not on EB yet, I'm on the Tiers. I don't know much about EB. But I do know that you have to exhaust Tiers 1,2, and 3, before you can become eligible for EB.

Old 04-08-2011, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by artwomyn View Post
I'm not on EB yet, I'm on the Tiers. I don't know much about EB. But I do know that you have to exhaust Tiers 1,2, and 3, before you can become eligible for EB.
Oh right, I was thinking of EUC_Emergency Unemployment Compensation, so going from my "regular" benefits to the first Tier. Still trying to get the language right!

I'm on my 23rd week so I called today to find out exactly what to do to get to Tier 1, and they said to call after I got my last payment of regular benefits. Sounds easy as pie, but I've heard so many horror stories about various UI things that I guess I'm being a nervous nelly!

Was it as quick and easy as a simple phone call for you?

Old 04-08-2011, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmags5 View Post
Work logs would only be requested during the last 20 of the 99 weeks, currently, after Tier 4. You would receive a letter requesting that you submit a log for a specific date range after Tier 4. No letter, no worries.
I'm honestly not sure MA has all 4 tiers anymore because the unemployment rate is below qualifying threshholds.
That's how it was explained to me by a DUA rep.
I'm 2 weeks short of being a 99r & I never received a request. I made enough, weekly email contacts from a gmail acct I set up specifically for my job search. I didn't have to write anything down. Even if my computer explodes, I can get the search log info by logging into that gmail, on any other machine.
Good news is I'm wrapping up an offer from a great company & should be back in a great job just in time.
Good luck!j
Wow, good for you! Right at the edge!

Yeah, I believe they removed Tier 4 here - because everything is going so well here.

Good idea about gmail. I've begun keeping info on google docs, as well as paper.

Old 04-09-2011, 04:14 PM

Quote:
Oh right, I was thinking of EUC_Emergency Unemployment Compensation, so going from my "regular" benefits to the first Tier. Still trying to get the language right!

I'm on my 23rd week so I called today to find out exactly what to do to get to Tier 1, and they said to call after I got my last payment of regular benefits. Sounds easy as pie, but I've heard so many horror stories about various UI things that I guess I'm being a nervous nelly!

Was it as quick and easy as a simple phone call for you?
Yes it was. I called, and was asked if I had worked in the last 18 months (the answer for me was no), then they told me that I was eligible for Tier 1. They placed the Tier 1 benefits in my account right away, and they were available when I claimed my weekly benefits, on the Sunday of that same week. About a week later, I got official written notification that I was now on Tier 1, and it also listed the dollar amount, and the number of weeks that Tier 1 consists of (20).

All of the Tiers, pay the same weekly dollar amount, as the initial 26 weeks of the state benefit payments. Tier 1 is 20 weeks, Tier 2 is 14 weeks, and Tier 3 is 13 weeks. Right now, there is no Tier 4 in MA anymore. If you exhaust all three Tiers, only then would you possibly be eligible to collect EB benefts.

Old 04-09-2011, 05:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by artwomyn View Post
Yes it was. I called, and was asked if I had worked in the last 18 months (the answer for me was no), then they told me that I was eligible for Tier 1. They placed the Tier 1 benefits in my account right away, and they were available when I claimed my weekly benefits, on the Sunday of that same week. About a week later, I got official written notification that I was now on Tier 1, and it also listed the dollar amount, and the number of weeks that Tier 1 consists of (20).

All of the Tiers, pay the same weekly dollar amount, as the initial 26 weeks of the state benefit payments. Tier 1 is 20 weeks, Tier 2 is 14 weeks, and Tier 3 is 13 weeks. Right now, there is no Tier 4 in MA anymore. If you exhaust all three Tiers, only then would you possibly be eligible to collect EB benefts.
Doesn't sound too painful, lol!

Thanks so much artwomyn! You've been a wealth of information!!

Old 04-09-2011, 07:27 PM

3,814 posts, read 7,900,358 times
Quote:
Wow, good for you! Right at the edge!

Yeah, I believe they removed Tier 4 here - because everything is going so well here.

Good idea about gmail. I've begun keeping info on google docs, as well as paper.
Just FYI -- Massachusetts ceased to qualify for Tier IV last year. Federal law requires a state have a three-month average unemployment rate of at least 8.5% to provide Tier IV. Massachusetts's unemployment rate hasn't reached 8.5% since June 2010.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment