U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
 
Unread 04-05-2011, 08:29 PM
 
210 posts, read 22,355 times
Reputation: 34
Wink moving out of state

Hi question for one of the many experts we have in here....If one were to move from a state that qualifies For All 4 Tiers (like NJ) to one that doesn't even qualify For Tier 3 (like Nebraska, South Dakota, etc...they only get 1&2), would they still be able to collect The 4 Tiers from Nj? i understand EB Can Only Be Collected For 2 Weeks in this scenario, but what about Tiers 3,&4, if you move from a state that has Them, to one that doesn't? I was just curious about this, as i was considering moving to one of those states because of their low Unemployment Rates but i wanted to make sure i could receive All my Tiers, if those states don't qualify For Them. I am aware About The EB Scenario..i was curious About EUB......thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Unread 04-05-2011, 09:41 PM
 
398 posts, read 626,046 times
Reputation: 408
Not really sure exactly but I'll give it a shot...

I'm assuming that you have been collecting UI from the same state that you currently reside.
The state that you are receiving UI benefits from is the only state whose rules apply and those are the rules you must follow for benefits you are eligible to receive. I don't think moving to a new state would change the ORIGINAL EUC terms of your benefits from the state you are collecting from. You just need to notify the DOL that you are moving and give them your new address and contact info.

On the other hand, the rules for EB might change like you've said, but I don't know if that's been proven to change unless you were collecting from a different state and living in another state since the beginning of your claim.

Anyone can feel free to correct me...

Ariadne22 and diorgirl would be the forum experts on this.
Call your state's DOL but ask a few agents to see if they give you the same answers.

Last edited by raymond2; 04-05-2011 at 10:24 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Unread 04-06-2011, 12:52 AM
 
Location: New Jersey
3,814 posts, read 7,401,723 times
Reputation: 902
Quote:
Originally Posted by WALTERWALTER View Post
Hi question for one of the many experts we have in here....If one were to move from a state that qualifies For All 4 Tiers (like NJ) to one that doesn't even qualify For Tier 3 (like Nebraska, South Dakota, etc...they only get 1&2), would they still be able to collect The 4 Tiers from Nj? i understand EB Can Only Be Collected For 2 Weeks in this scenario, but what about Tiers 3,&4, if you move from a state that has Them, to one that doesn't? I was just curious about this, as i was considering moving to one of those states because of their low Unemployment Rates but i wanted to make sure i could receive All my Tiers, if those states don't qualify For Them. I am aware About The EB Scenario..i was curious About EUB......thanks
The New Jersey criteria for EUC and for EB for out-of-state residents are different.

EUC - If, while you are collecting unemployment benefits from New Jersey, you move to another state -- your eligibility for EUC Tiers will depend on New Jersey's continuing eligibility for the EUC Tiers, regardless of the unemployment rates of the state to which you relocate. So, as a non-resident, you can still collect up to the maximum EUC Tier benefits available to New Jersey residents.

EB - As for EB, New Jersey will pay non-residents a minimum of two weeks of EB, up to a maximum of the number of weeks of EB to which they would be entitled in their state of residence. For example, if the state in which you reside qualifies for only 13 weeks of EB while New Jersey qualifies for 20 weeks, New Jersey will pay you only 13 weeks. If your state of residence does not pay any EB, New Jersey will pay you only two weeks of EB.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Unread 04-06-2011, 06:07 PM
 
210 posts, read 22,355 times
Reputation: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by diorgirl View Post
The New Jersey criteria for EUC and for EB for out-of-state residents are different.

EUC - If, while you are collecting unemployment benefits from New Jersey, you move to another state -- your eligibility for EUC Tiers will depend on New Jersey's continuing eligibility for the EUC Tiers, regardless of the unemployment rates of the state to which you relocate. So, as a non-resident, you can still collect up to the maximum EUC Tier benefits available to New Jersey residents.

EB - As for EB, New Jersey will pay non-residents a minimum of two weeks of EB, up to a maximum of the number of weeks of EB to which they would be entitled in their state of residence. For example, if the state in which you reside qualifies for only 13 weeks of EB while New Jersey qualifies for 20 weeks, New Jersey will pay you only 13 weeks. If your state of residence does not pay any EB, New Jersey will pay you only two weeks of EB.
THANKS. That is what i expected but i wanted to clarify. EUC is based on NJ (if my claim was based there and it is), so i would (Currently anyway) be able to avail Of All 4 Tiers, as long as They Are Available In NJ, regardless of where i move to. good answer
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Unread 05-01-2011, 11:33 AM
 
1 posts, read 5,981 times
Reputation: 10
I am a resident of California and quit my job to get married and move to Alaska. I have been working a temporary job, with the school district in Alaska, for five months and was recently laid off. Am I eligible for unemployment benefits? Do I collect from Alaska?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Unread 05-01-2011, 12:50 PM
 
Location: Wisconsin
12,348 posts, read 14,326,817 times
Reputation: 5594
Quote:
Originally Posted by theresita View Post
I am a resident of California and quit my job to get married and move to Alaska. I have been working a temporary job, with the school district in Alaska, for five months and was recently laid off. Am I eligible for unemployment benefits? Do I collect from Alaska?
You would apply in Alaska.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Unread 02-20-2012, 10:57 PM
 
1 posts, read 4,988 times
Reputation: 11
i am currently collecting unemployment benifits in state of california was 6 months can not get a job, plan to move out of california to live wisconsin,ohio or chicago, am i still qualify to continue to collecting benifit while search for job ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Unread 02-21-2012, 02:15 PM
 
Location: Wisconsin
12,348 posts, read 14,326,817 times
Reputation: 5594
Yes. See FAQS #9. http://www.city-data.com/forum/22370378-post2.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Unread 05-30-2013, 07:37 PM
 
1 posts, read 2,292 times
Reputation: 10
Will the amount of my California EUC change if I move to another state; Indiana, Ohio or Michigan ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Unread 05-30-2013, 09:48 PM
 
Location: Wisconsin
12,348 posts, read 14,326,817 times
Reputation: 5594
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jstuwtnc View Post
Will the amount of my California EUC change if I move to another state; Indiana, Ohio or Michigan ?
No.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $74,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 12:35 PM.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top