Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-19-2011, 07:15 AM

4 posts, read 59,268 times

Advertisements

So I finally got approved for NJ UI, eventhough I worked in NY and NJ over the past 18 months.

My first claim resulted in me having to call NJ UI Office to get my funds "released" and it looks like I have to do it again for this weeks claim. Am I going to have to call them every 2 weeks to get it released? I tried emailing them at the email address provided and never heard back from them.

I get the following message: PLEASE HELP!

Your claim for unemployment insurance benefits has been received. Your claim is not payable at this time.
If you have filed an appeal and are waiting for the results, you have been given credit for claiming the week(s)
shown below.
If you have not filed an appeal, an agent will need to review your claim before your benefit payment can be
processed. Upon review, we may need to contact you for additional information. This may take several days.
In the meantime, please do not attempt to file again for the same weeks either via the Internet or by telephone. If
you do, your benefits may be delayed. If you have not heard anything about your claim within a week, you may
e-mail us for information at UI.INFORMATION@DOL.STATE.NJ.US . Make sure to include your confirmation
number in your e-mail.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2011, 11:11 PM

360 posts, read 1,016,341 times
You mentioned you worked in NY in the past 18 months as well. How many weeks were you given in NJ? Were you told that you'd have to file with NY after exhausting NJ or anything like that?

Do you live in NJ or NY? If you live in NY, I REALLY highly recommend contacting NYS unemployment first as you might have to file against them. If you live in NJ, you can try calling or going to your local office.

Old 04-21-2011, 11:16 PM

25,593 posts, read 56,259,128 times
Is this possibly a combined claim? Anyone familiar with the claiming process when it is a two-state/combined claim? Could that be the reason for the 'release?'

Last edited by Ariadne22; 04-22-2011 at 12:16 AM..

Old 04-22-2011, 12:18 AM

3,814 posts, read 11,950,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower7 View Post
You mentioned you worked in NY in the past 18 months as well. How many weeks were you given in NJ? Were you told that you'd have to file with NY after exhausting NJ or anything like that?

Do you live in NJ or NY? If you live in NY, I REALLY highly recommend contacting NYS unemployment first as you might have to file against them. If you live in NJ, you can try calling or going to your local office.
You state of residence has nothing to do with qualifying for regular unemployment benefits. Your eligibility is determined by the state in which your qualifying work was based.

The OP has to deal with NJ UI -- since that is the state which approved the claim. NYS will not get involved, unless the OP wishes to challenge eligibility in NJ and wants to pursue a claim through NYS instead.

In this situation, it is most likely that when NJ approved the claim, the coordinating adjustment was simply not made in the system to automatically start the release of payments.

The OP needs to speak with an agent in NJ, explain that he/she has been approved for benefits, and that the system is still requiring a manual release. The agent should be able to make the necessary systems adjustment -- or explain the nature of the problem and set about resolving it.

The queue of emails requesting help is quite long -- and an agent will want to speak with the OP in any event. Best to call NJ UI.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment