U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 05-03-2011, 11:07 PM

5 posts, read 8,053 times
Default Second Unemployment Year, New Claim? Confused!

Last year, I was laid off April 2010 in the state of Georgia.

Currently, I'm in my Third Tier. However, around April 15, I received a letter stating I needed to come in so they could re-evaluate my work history. When I did, I signed a form stating everything is still the same. The clerk told me that she would pay me for the previous week (since I wasn't paid) and that I will automatically continue into the Fourth tier once I've exhausted my Third Tier. From then, I would have to come in for the next step.

However, I received a letter in the mail today stating a that a new claim year starts on 4/5/11.

It states my employer, the four quarters (I only earned money in two of them in 2010; but I've worked with them since 2008).

But in the Weekly Benefit Amount/Potential Number of Weeks/Maximum Benefit Amount the amount is $0.

My appeal expires 5/11/11.

I'm completely confused at this whole process?

Can anyone please help me figure this out? I can't make it to my local Labor Career Center until Thursday morning and these questions will eat me from the inside!
Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2011, 07:51 PM

13,890 posts, read 17,920,855 times
Because you have not earned wages since you filed your claim, GA has issued a standard letter of denial which is routine after a monetary determination at your bye. Since there have been no new wages on which to base a claim, your application for a 'new claim' is denied, your old claim reopened and you continue to receive EUC and EB benefits under that.

You probably should call GA to be certain that, in fact, you are on track to continue your old claim. Some states require you call to recertify your claim at the bye. Others are now doing this automatically. It sounds as though GA may be one of these. Nonetheless, you should verify that.
Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment