U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2011, 05:01 PM

49 posts, read 156,993 times
Default Internet " Fake " Job Postings Out Of Control

Most of you are aware of this practice but, at least based on my recent experience, the posting of " fake " job ads on the internet is becoming much worse. And, while the on-line recruiters and jobs boards take most of the heat for this practice I'm telling you that I'm running into this problem regularly with internet postings directly from companies. And, these are major companies doing this, not just Mom 'n Pops. Some will just post ads, collect resumes ( data mining ) then pull the ads. And, usually, run the same or similar ad(s) again in the near future. Over and over. Some employers will actually send you thru the on-line testing and personal interview process before pulling the rug. I guess that they can collect more personal data that way. This is a very disrepectful practice and it's making a bad situation worse for the unemployed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2011, 12:18 AM

13 posts, read 8,387 times
I agree with you. I have seen this really bad on the Craigslist sections where you can look for work. Here in St. Louis it's horrible.

Old 05-26-2011, 12:33 PM

159 posts, read 273,110 times
Craigslist is the worst. I never respond to blind ads anymore. Also you have to be careful of the overseas scammers collecting your info and trying to get you to send them money (yeah right!) or click on their links. Very annoying!

Old 05-26-2011, 03:25 PM

I used to wonder how major employers could get away with running " fake " job ads. These employer generated ads are usually very convincing as they are complete with all the credible details, including names, #s and location(s). And, on-line testing and interviews further add to the credibility. No clue that the whole thing is a fraud until, in retrospect, you realize that you've been had. In an article about this practice an HR supervisor stated that while it's underhanded, employers can get away with this crap because of the pet phrase ' ... we are always looking for new talent ... '. They run a fake ad, take in a pile of resumes and personal data, pull the ad and never fill the supposed opening because they did not find that right individual. This is their cover.

Old 05-26-2011, 05:16 PM

78 posts, read 70,053 times
Uuhhmm...HR needs to justify its existence, also.
Or do you want them to get laid off, too?

What better way than building a resume database for the glorious times ahead!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOCA123 View Post
I used to wonder how major employers could get away with running " fake " job ads. These employer generated ads are usually very convincing as they are complete with all the credible details, including names, #s and location(s). And, on-line testing and interviews further add to the credibility. No clue that the whole thing is a fraud until, in retrospect, you realize that you've been had. In an article about this practice an HR supervisor stated that while it's underhanded, employers can get away with this crap because of the pet phrase ' ... we are always looking for new talent ... '. They run a fake ad, take in a pile of resumes and personal data, pull the ad and never fill the supposed opening because they did not find that right individual. This is their cover.

Old 05-27-2011, 08:36 AM

200 posts, read 209,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scal2010 View Post
Craigslist is the worst. I never respond to blind ads anymore. Also you have to be careful of the overseas scammers collecting your info and trying to get you to send them money (yeah right!) or click on their links. Very annoying!
Craigslist is the worst, but it's also the best for finding jobs and/or interviews.
I've never had even an interview from Monster, Careerbuilder or Indeed.
They're filler for UI jobsearch.

One has to read between the lines on the Craigslist jobs.

Old 05-27-2011, 08:40 PM

4,793 posts, read 7,740,344 times
I sometimes think I should post a fake Craigslist ad to collect resumes so I can see my competition and try to be better than them. Never tried that though.

Old 05-28-2011, 05:43 AM

6 posts, read 7,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse69 View Post
I sometimes think I should post a fake Craigslist ad to collect resumes so I can see my competition and try to be better than them. Never tried that though.
That is shady.. I never even thought of that, but I can almost guarantee you that people do it.

Old 05-28-2011, 08:01 AM

516 posts, read 787,123 times
Yes, you have to be careful when sending your resume on Craigslist. Tons of scams, but I have had interviews and landed a job from a Craigslist posting. I also had interviews from Careerbuilder. So there are legit postings on those websites. If there isn't a phone number, a real e-mail address or sometimes a company name, it's a scam. Especially if there isn't a specific town where the opening is located.

Old 05-28-2011, 09:33 AM

I recently applied for a job off of Indeed.com. It was a very convincing ad with all the job details and contact info that I would expect from THAT particular major retailer. The only suspicious thing was the " from " name at the bottom of the ad. Very close to the major retailer but slightly different from what I usually see. I went ahead and applied despite this concern. The first application page asked for personal info which I filled out completely. I clicked the button at the bottom to save and advance to the next page. The page didn't advance and I got an error message at the bottom of the screen. I closed out and re-entered in order to try again thinking that it was a glitch. When I clicked on the Apply Now button I was taken to that first page and the following statement at the top of the page appeared in red :

" various internet sites may link you to this page claiming this is an open position. While this position is representative of a job at XXXXX, it does not represent an actual job opening ".

Obviously, I was scammed but by who, what for and why I don't know. One individual familiar with this situation said that it was probably a recruiter data mining.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment