U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 06-03-2011, 05:13 PM

10 posts, read 40,915 times
Default On EUC when 1st Year Benefit runs out

So sorry if this has been asked and answered before.

I am on unemployment from Maryland since May 2010. I received my letter saying that my benefit year had expired and to call May 2011. I called last week and was told that it was routine and that since I was on EUC, that it would just continue without any problems. Then I receive a handful of letters from DLLR regarding a 2nd Benefit Year??

Now, I have a call to determine my 2nd Benefit Year Eligibility next week. I didn't think I was filing for a 2nd Benefit year. I have read that they have to determine if I am eligible to start a 2nd year at the state level before continuing on my federal EUC.

I worked a seasonal job during the holidays and they know this and said it would not affect me. (I was making only 50 to 75 per week and would claim it each week...think it was like 800 for the 4th qtr 2010 and 400 for 1st qtr 2011) At least that is what the lady told me on the phone, but she is also the one who told me that my EUC would continue with no problem. She never told me about the 2nd Benefit year hold up.

The kicker is that I live in Florida now (and have since June 2010). This is also where I worked the seasonal job. When I received my determination of monetary eligibility for the 2nd benefit year, it says that I am eligible for the maximum because it still included the 1st and 2nd quarters of 2010 when I had my good paying job in Maryland. Has anyone had any experience with any of this? Any information or knowledge will be greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2011, 06:18 PM

13,486 posts, read 16,930,831 times
It is mandatory, routine, required procedure to apply for a 'new' claim when the first benefit year expires. Because you worked during your first benefit year, some of the earnings from your previous employment were factored into your application for a new claim. Had you not worked, your application for a new claim would have been denied and your old claim reopened.

Because you qualified for a new claim, you are now eligible for a new payment of MD state benefits. When those benefits are exhausted and provided this occurs before December 31, 2011, MD will put you back on your current EUC tier from the first claim.

The tier benefits you are receiving as of December 31, 2011 can be exhausted into 2012. However, without a further extension by Congress of the EUC program, nothing further is available. This scenario is true whether or not you have a new claim.

Last edited by Ariadne22; 06-03-2011 at 06:28 PM..

Old 06-03-2011, 06:31 PM

Thank you!

Old 06-06-2011, 09:22 AM

4 posts, read 16,407 times
I am in the same situation but in Virginia. I called and reapplied. I got a letter today stating that I had 15 more weeks. The thing that is puzzling me is that they have appeared to have slapped me back into regular unemployment based on what I made 1-2 quarters?

How does that effect my emergency unemployment as I had just started tier 2 4-6 weeks ago? I went from UI, EUC, Tier II.

Program is listed as 01 UI

Old 06-13-2011, 04:22 PM

I had my phone interview last Monday...was told it was routine...that the 2nd year benefits would be denied and I would revert back to my 1st year and continue on the EUC. Today, I receive a letter for a phone interview to discuss my voluntary quit from my part time job that I had from October to February 2011. It was a job to make extra money during the holidays (everything was claimed through unemployment). It was a 6 to 10 hour a week job...nothing that would ever be more. They had all the information about the money made while working that part time job and said that it wasn't enough (had to be 10 times my weekly benefit amount). Anyway, is this voluntary quit from the part time job going to be a problem? It wasn't like I was collecting unemployment from the part time job.

Old 07-19-2011, 06:07 AM

1 posts, read 3,129 times
I am new to the forum. My question is this:

1. I have relocated from Virginia to Michigan for the purpose of attending college.

2. I was receiving Tier 2 during this transition and my BYE date was 6/18/2011. I thought if I continue to file that there would not be a problem

3. I was told that I had to open a new claim in the middle of Tier 2. Doing so only disqualified me from getting benefits at all.

4. Then another person says all you have to do is reopen an existing claim. This will assure me to pick up where I left off with the remaining balance of my Tier 2 Payments.

5. I have done all of this for 4 weeks now and I have not received one payment.

6. I also registered for Work at the new location.

So who is suppose to be paying me VA or MI? This is very frustrating.

Old 07-19-2011, 11:14 AM

13,486 posts, read 16,930,831 times
Virginia is still your paying state. You claim and receive benefits from Virginia. Michigan is your resident state.

VA is required to test you at your bye for any new earnings via a new claim. If there are not sufficient eligible earnings, your application for a new claim as denied, your old claim reopened and you continue receiving payments from that.

What exactly happened at your bye? Did you talk to a rep or do everything online? In most states, you do need to actually speak to an agent to RECERTIFY your OLD CLAIM before payments resume. Nothing further will happen until you call VA unemployment. Their correspondence apparently did not tell you to do this. Some states generally do not volunteer any more information than is necessary. If you drop off the unemployment roles as a result, that is fine with them.

Also, the fact that you are attending school will normally disqualify you from benefits as the DOLs presume you are not available for full-time work and not looking, either. They do make exceptions, however. You would need to talk to VA about their process. This will definitely muddy the waters on resuming your claim.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment