U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Thanksgiving Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 07-20-2011, 09:57 PM

15 posts, read 88,261 times

Advertisements

Hello,

If anyone could please advise I would appreciate it a great deal. I recently started Tier 1 of EUC benefits out of PA. I received my first biweekly payment without any problem, however when I went to file the most recent biweekly claim the site would not give me the currect filing dates (offered to have me file for the previous dates I already filed). I called the service center and they corrected the system so the right dates were available. I filed my biweekly claim and received a confirmation email that my claims were accepted however I have yet to receive the direct deposit of the payment (I usually receive it by midnight Tuesday as I am living on the west coast). When I look online it does not show the payments in the benefit payment information.

Has anyone had this problem before or have any suggestions. I am going to try and call the service center again tomorrow, however I am worried about paying bills that are due this week. Is it possible/common for them to accept the claim but then decide not to pay it?

Any suggestions anyone has would be greatly appreciated as I am getting very worried as to what is happening.

Thank you!
Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2011, 10:09 PM

14,157 posts, read 18,601,021 times
When transitioning from state benefits to federal Emergency Unemployment Compensation benefits, the states are required to perform a monetary redetermination to be certain there isn't eligible earned income that would qualify for a new state claim. This process is often done without a hitch, other states take a couple of weeks or so to get it done.

Yes, keep trying PA. When you get through, ask if this monetary redetermination is holding things up. If you are not close to your benefit year end, I cannot think of another reason for the delay.

Old 07-20-2011, 10:20 PM

Would this still be the case if I had already received one biweekly payment with no problem? I am also working part-time in another state (was working part-time when I filed for the EUC tier 1 and they are fully aware of this and said it was no problem for receiving EUC), would this affect the situation? I make no where near my unemployment benefits on this job but took it because it was better than nothing and hope it may turn into something full-time. They wouldn't be determining that I do not qualify for benefits because I have this job right (there is no way I could support myself on this alone)?

Old 07-20-2011, 10:38 PM

You will not be without benefits. It may just take a week or two for PA to process. Part-time work has muddied the waters a bit here.

When I transitioned to Tier 1, Wisconsin stated in a letter they would pay me immediately and do the monetary redetermination the following month when the next quarter began. So, yes, PA could easily have paid you from Tier 1 and are just now doing the review.

Since you have worked part time, there will be earnings to review to determine new state claim eligibility. If those earnings are not sufficient for a new state claim, you will continue on Tier 1.

If those earnings qualify you for a new state claim and the benefit from that claim is $100 or 25% lower than the benefit from your earlier claim, PA should defer the new claim under HR4213 and allow you to continue on Tier 1 from the earlier claim.

Let us know what happens here.

Last edited by Ariadne22; 07-20-2011 at 10:47 PM..

Old 07-20-2011, 10:48 PM

I am right in thinking though that since I am still employed part-time by this employer I am not eligible for a new claim (I am not unemployed from that job)? Also if they do consider this a new claim do they automatically determine if the claim is deferred based on HR 4213 or do I need to file something to claim this "exemption"?

Old 07-20-2011, 10:56 PM

I also saw a post that was talking about being kicked back to a previous unemployment claim in another state? Is that only previous EUC claims or does it include regular unemployment? I had a regular unemployment claim that I was on back in NY that I don't know how many weeks I was eligible for but that was all the way back to Nov 2007 to March 2008?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mishnmash View Post
I am right in thinking though that since I am still employed part-time by this employer I am not eligible for a new claim (I am not unemployed from that job)? Also if they do consider this a new claim do they automatically determine if the claim is deferred based on HR 4213 or do I need to file something to claim this "exemption"?
PA has systems in place on HR4213 based on reports from other PA posters. You shouldn't have a problem there.

It is my understanding any new wages earned during your benefit year are considered when determining new claim eligibility. I agree, it doesn't seem logical. It is one of the hazards of working and collecting benefits. If you get through to PA, you can ask them about that, as well.

398 posts, read 741,121 times
How can he get a new claim if he is working part time right now for the new employer?

I'd think that his current UE benefits he's receiving, needs to be evaluated and possibly re-calculated for weekly deductions based on what he is earning with his part time job.

Also mishnmash, be aware that you quiting your current job will likely dis-qualify you for collecting your UE benefits as well.

Old 07-20-2011, 11:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mishnmash View Post
I also saw a post that was talking about being kicked back to a previous unemployment claim in another state? Is that only previous EUC claims or does it include regular unemployment? I had a regular unemployment claim that I was on back in NY that I don't know how many weeks I was eligible for but that was all the way back to Nov 2007 to March 2008?
The period of time in which to collect state benefits expires at the end of that state benefit claim year.

But, unused EUC benefits from an earlier claim - no matter which state it originated - must be paid before EUC benefits from a later claim. If that 07 claim was eligible for EUC benefits AND you had collected at least one week of those benefits before that claim's bye, then, yes, those benefits need to be exhausted first.

That's a pretty old claim. Do you remember if there were EUC benefits attached to it?

Old 07-20-2011, 11:04 PM

I have always reported my part-time employment during my regular UC and my benefits were reduced accordingly. When I spoke to the call center to apply for my EUC Tier 1 benefits they received all the information on my part-time job and reassured me that it was no issue whatsoever. I still am employed at this part-time position (which alone would mean I am not eligible for a new claim), but additionally I have not worked there long enough for a claim in WA state and even if I did the resulting compensation would not meet the requirements you mentioned from HR4213.

Hearing the comments about the much older unfinished claims makes me worried. Does anyone know if there is a cut off date for a claim being too old or if it has to be a EUC claim or if regular unemployment is included?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment