U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 07-24-2011, 09:42 PM

284 posts, read 365,125 times

Advertisements

With the terrible economy most employers dont want those who have been unemployed. I would probably be better off going to the welfare office than trying to get a job.

Last edited by bson1257; 07-24-2011 at 10:10 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2011, 09:49 PM

797 posts, read 1,246,737 times
How are you staying afloat right now? Are you living with parents? Just curious.

Here's a random off-the-wall suggestion that others might not agree on but I've always found the prospect exciting personally ... what sort of skills do you have? Maybe you could try finding small work gigs on Craigslist. There is a "gigs" section on there that I've always enjoyed. Some people on there are scammers so watch out. You should be able to detect those easily though. Otherwise, I've done some interesting side jobs on there before and one month I made $400 just off of doing that kind of stuff outside of my full time job. I wish I could live off of just doing that.

My point is ... you could start accumulating a series of short term projects under your belt by doing these small gigs. Initially, you might have to bight the bullet and offer less for your services. Then later on you can start gaining momentum and who knows ... maybe at some point you have something to fill some gaps on your resume with. You could also try freelancing sites like odesk.com for example. You have nothing to lose and everything to gain. I have a full time job so I can't just quit it to go off and try to make a living doing all of that stuff. Change your attitude about this and realize you have nothing to lose by trying out this kind of stuff and everything to gain.

What do you say?

Old 07-24-2011, 09:51 PM

8,027 posts, read 5,872,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bson1257 View Post
With the terrible economy most employers dont want those who have been unemployed. I would probably be better off going to the welfare office then trying to get a job.
Well, if you have any money, welfare won't be an option. Looks like your stuck working like the rest of us *******s

But your not going to find a job unless you look, so make it your job to find one. They are out there, but you may have to settle for, just a job. Nothing special or high paying until you get back into the workforce.

Old 07-24-2011, 10:01 PM

2,456 posts, read 2,700,186 times
I've been out of work for two years retraining for a new career and employers aren't too interested in me either. I've got some new and valuable skills but I am not a fresh faced college kid so I am getting ZERO response.

I'm attempting to start a business although it is a "hail Mary" pass play- I have no idea if it's going to work or not.

Old 07-24-2011, 10:20 PM

4,793 posts, read 8,582,872 times
This August 15th 2011 - I will be 3 years unemployed but I still get calls and emails from recruiters for jobs. Some submit me while some dismiss me for jobs for being unemployed too long. But as long as you have the skills and experience, I think you can get hired for an engineering job.

If you are 3 years unemployed companies like retail, fast food, or maybe even factory work won't care if you've been unemployed too long. Those are low wage low skill jobs anyone can fill.

Old 07-27-2011, 07:59 AM

1 posts, read 12,128 times
I have been unemployed for 2 and a half years with the exceptio of working with Adecco 2 days a month. What are my chances of getting a steady job?

Old 07-27-2011, 09:33 AM

21,725 posts, read 37,184,337 times
Most sane employers really don't care how long you have been out of work, they do care if you have a **** poor attitude. The minimum wage is almost $9/hr in some states so it is imperative that you can sliver that much VALUE to an employer.

In my office there are lots of nighttime cleaning people that barely know any English but the bust thier butt lining up the trash cans after they dump 'em, vacuuming the whole carpet not just the traffic areas, leaving the lavatory mopped dry not just slopped up...

Take some pride in what you do. Tout your skills. Find someplace where your handwork is wanted.

I think welfare is gone.

Old 07-27-2011, 09:41 AM

1,749 posts, read 4,495,281 times
Maybe get some training in another field? My son was unemployed at least that long. He used to work in construction. Last year he got his CDL through a program at the community college. It took a while - over a year because most employers want some experience along with the license - but he finally landed a job driving a dump truck with a paving company.

Just don't give up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment