U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 08-11-2007, 12:10 PM

1 posts, read 15,403 times

Advertisements

How do you get an extension on Unemployment to go back to school or training?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2007, 06:46 PM

253 posts, read 904,866 times
I think you have to actively be a student at the time ... so if you intend to try doing it should probably start taking classes now. I think you have to be a certain number of credit hours also. But mainly I would call the department of Labor and ask them.

I did it before but it was so long ago I cant remember anymore. I thought it went till you were done with school, but it doesn't, it is a long time though, but the amount you receive weekly is lowered or something like that.

Old 08-12-2007, 09:54 PM

56 posts, read 247,015 times
Its called a 599 training Program.

A: Section 599 of the UI Law makes it possible for claimants to receive benefits while attending a career-oriented training course or program that the Department of Labor has approved without being required to be available for or to look for work . Approval is based on the type of training, training duration, existing labor market conditions and other related factors.

Attendance in a program of training can be approved if your employment opportunities are substantially impaired or the training will either upgrade your existing work skills or train you for an occupation likely to lead to more regular long-term employment. The training must be at least 12 hours per week in a structured classroom setting; must relate to an occupation for which there are, or expect to be, reasonable employment opportunities in the state; is offered by a recognized agency; and will require no more than 24 months to complete. You must also have the required qualifications and aptitudes to complete the training successfully

You can find more info here New York State Department of Labor - Training/599 Program

This is for "career training" if you are talking about getting an extension and going to community college/ a 4 year school / or graduate school you are out of luck, you are not considered "ready willing and able to work".

Hope this helps.

Old 02-10-2008, 02:07 PM

1 posts, read 14,749 times
Default Is there any UI extension if you simply cannot find work...?

Im an attorney and haven't bee able to find any attorney jobs. Have interviewed but no offers and has been even harder even getting interviews for non attorney jobs...?

i havent really been able to find much info and the phone numbers just run you around in circles...

Old 11-04-2009, 01:37 PM

4 posts, read 14,335 times
My benefits ran out in aug , with the new extension , do i get credit for those weeks not paid

Old 12-15-2009, 06:57 AM

5 posts, read 44,885 times
PLEASE do not be suckered into these lies!
THE FOLLOWING IS INSIDE INFO:
The NCESC is not being forward with their information.
The so called "computer update" is a STALLING tactic.
It is being used by many states for the tier 2 and tier 3 extensions.
States were told to do this by the federal government in hopes of not paying benefits to all claimants eligible, by waiting out the December 31 deadline.
The computer system is just as old as it was in July and December 2008, when the federal government approved the first wave of extensions.

CALL THE NCESC EXTENSION hotline in Raleigh, NC (1-866-795-8877) and demand answers to why the money has not been released.
The only way to move this along is if everyone will begin complaining to Raleigh!
DO IT TODAY, if you want to see your tier 3 benefits!!!!
NO JOKE, THIS IS FACT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
NC ESC CONTACTS-
EXTENSION HOTLINE IN RALEIGH: 1-866-795-8877
EXTENSION EMAIL ADDRESS:ESC.UI.EUS08@NCMAIL.net
Deputy chairman - [EMAIL="david.clegg@ncmail.net"]david.clegg@ncmail.net[/EMAIL]
Director of Public Information - [EMAIL="andrew.james@ncmail.net"]andrew.james@ncmail.net[/EMAIL]
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment