U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 09-04-2011, 12:55 PM

50 posts, read 69,522 times

Advertisements

I just sent in my claim last week, where for the first time, I listed that I made some money working on a temp job for 11 days.
Unfortunately, I forgot to put the address of the temp agency on the claim so they sent me a duplicate claim and asked to fix it.
Today was the day I was supposed to file a new claim, but I went to the EDD site and it just says my last claim was "submitted" but it doesn't say to file a new claim.
So is the claim I just sent in with some income going to delay any upcoming new claims??

I'm scared they're going to send me a letter saying I have to call them because we all know it's impossible to get in touch with them, which delays things ever longer. (there was a number code that could get you through to a operator but that doesn't work anymore)

I'm getting low on funds and I'm scared this is going to be delayed for so long.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2011, 08:48 PM

8,844 posts, read 12,557,840 times
It shouldn't delay it, and there shouldn't be any problems.

I had to call EDD last week to give them an address change. I was pleasantly surprised to be able to get through after a few minutes of listening to which # to press, since they changed their phone system. This was last Monday, and they said that my payment had already been processed. Tuesday, I called the 800# on the debit card, and my payment was on there, and EDD sent the claim form to the new address.

Old 09-07-2011, 08:16 AM

379 posts, read 715,340 times
You shouldn't experience a delay by reporting any income with the exception of reporting more money made by working versus the money you are paid through your weekly claim. In other words, if you make more by working, even at a temporary job, compared to your weekly claim, they'll automatically cut you off. This happened to me when I began a claim a couple of years ago. Hopefully the income you reported was spread out over a few weeks and it wasn't more than your weekly claim. Sadly, these are one of those scenarios where it is actually better to just continue to collect instead of working a temporary job.

Sorry for the bad news, we've all dealt with the department in one way or another and it really sucks when you have to deal with them.

Old 09-08-2011, 12:01 PM

50 posts, read 69,522 times
Yes, I did make more than I get in weekly unemployment. I was supposed to have filed it on August 21 but I didn't get my temp agency check in the mail till 4 days later. When I tried to file it online that day, it said I had to mail it in. They got it but said I didn't fill it in all the way so they sent me a duplicate claim, which I sent in and they just submitted it today, Sept 8.So it was pretty delayed after all this.

What do I do now??? My next claim to be filed was on Sept 4 but it's not giving me the option.

Old 09-08-2011, 09:02 PM

379 posts, read 715,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliGirl70 View Post
Yes, I did make more than I get in weekly unemployment. I was supposed to have filed it on August 21 but I didn't get my temp agency check in the mail till 4 days later. When I tried to file it online that day, it said I had to mail it in. They got it but said I didn't fill it in all the way so they sent me a duplicate claim, which I sent in and they just submitted it today, Sept 8.So it was pretty delayed after all this.

What do I do now??? My next claim to be filed was on Sept 4 but it's not giving me the option.

By the sound of things, it is obvious that your claim is being delayed as you feared, unfortunately.

What you should have done was file your claim when you normally would have instead of waiting for your check from the temporary job. In the area of the claim form where it says to report your income, you should have estimated what your income was from the temp job rather than waiting for the check to arrive and be 100% accurate, that way you would not be experiencing the delay in your benefits. I've actually been told to do exactly that by representatives from the department when I was working temporarily while receiving benefits.

At this point, the ball is entirely in the department's court and it's a game of wait and see. The best thing you can do is contact the department and to find out the current status of your claim. More than likely, you will have to refile for certification of your claim and wait out the entire delay.

Old 09-09-2011, 02:15 AM

8,844 posts, read 12,557,840 times
I have a co-worker that waited for her paycheck to arrive so she could enter the exact amount of money that she made on her claim form. EDD gave her problems with that, cut her benefits off, and made her pay back some of them. When I fill mine out, I enter whatever hours I'm scheduled to work. The hours that I work are actually less, but I'd rather be over, than under. There are less problems that way.

Old 09-09-2011, 04:19 AM

13 posts, read 121,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moved View Post
I have a co-worker that waited for her paycheck to arrive so she could enter the exact amount of money that she made on her claim form. EDD gave her problems with that, cut her benefits off, and made her pay back some of them. When I fill mine out, I enter whatever hours I'm scheduled to work. The hours that I work are actually less, but I'd rather be over, than under. There are less problems that way.

I agree with this - I represented an individual at a Hearing where the EDD had cut all benefits and was asking for repayment. This person had allegedly failed to report income correctly - except at the time there was no income to report, he had worked but his pay was delayed for almost 5 months (another story)

When he did get the pay he reported but the EDD was upset saying he did not report it at the correct time.

After a pretty drawn out hearing we were able to get everything corrected - lots of explaining!

Old 09-09-2011, 05:46 AM

1 posts, read 612 times
I am sure this differs state-to-state (I'm in Texas), but I've had good luck with phone contact when I call 5-10 minutes after the office opens. Out of 3 phone calls, I have only waited once, about 5 minutes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment