U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 09-14-2011, 01:14 PM

3 posts, read 8,055 times

Advertisements

Hey all!
Noob to forum.... (long time lurker).

September was my 1 year Anniversary on Unemployment, and am in Tier 2 of EB.

I hail from MI, and when I tried to certify my hours online on Monday, I got a message that I had "exhausted my benefits" and would need to open a claim even though I was receiving Tier 2 benefits.

Well, today I received a call from a lady from my local Unemployment Claims office & she said she was calling to get my claim recertified as I was at my 1 year mark. I checked the number she was calling from and it was a outbound number only from the local UI office so it was legit.

She went over the past few jobs she had on record I had temped at, and my last employer that I had worked at (dates, etc & reason for separation).

Then, she said that I didn't qualify for a new claim and to expect a Monetary Decision Letter / Denial w/in 3-5 days. Gave me a Confirmation Number, and told me that I would just continue on my Tier 2 benefits as I have been.

Has any one received a call like this? Or, did they just do the extra step I would have done when calling them to file a new claim (and, now I don't have to sit on forever hold)?

Also, since I am just going to continue on with the Tier 2 Benefits..does the Decision letter go to my former employer (that laid me off) or any of the temp agencies I had worked a few temp jobs with? Just curious.

TIA.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2011, 07:34 PM
Status: "Still Contracted, 4 Years and counting." (set 9 days ago)

1,828 posts, read 2,949,049 times
Sorta of surprising they had the manpower to just call you like that but they may have done that for me as well but I stayed on top of it and filed the new claim when it was required when I was on UI for almost 2 years. The way it sounds is your done with filing as they did it for you.

Old 09-15-2011, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OHGreat View Post
Sorta of surprising they had the manpower to just call you like that but they may have done that for me as well but I stayed on top of it and filed the new claim when it was required when I was on UI for almost 2 years. The way it sounds is your done with filing as they did it for you.
Thanks for the reply : )

Yes, I was very surprised at the call. I was filling out a online job application when the call arrived so it caught me by surprise and a very "cautious" surprise.

My thoughts were also that they should be to busy to be making "one on one calls" to their unemployed workers. Who knows maybe this is a new way they are doing things. Or, it was triggered, when I tried to certify my hours on Monday and received the "your benefits are exhausted and must file a new claim message" & I got confused at the online message, so I tried to re-certify again. Mine exp. on 9/10/11.

I would have called them by the end of the week either way to file a new claim. Now it's done, and I just have to call in two weeks to continue on with my Tier 2 EB.

When Tier 2 is over, is that when the benefits are completely exhausted? I have 8 weeks left on it. Thanks again..: )

Old 09-15-2011, 01:54 PM

14,426 posts, read 19,350,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by August11 View Post
When Tier 2 is over, is that when the benefits are completely exhausted? I have 8 weeks left on it. Thanks again..: )
As long as you have exhausted Tier 2 prior to December 31, 2012, you will transition to Tier III for another 13 weeks and can exhaust that Tier into 2012.

If Congress extends the unemployment legislation in its present form, next year after Tier III, you will transition to Tier IV for another 6 weeks and after that Extended Benefits for another 20 weeks.

Old 09-15-2011, 05:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariadne22 View Post
As long as you have exhausted Tier 2 prior to December 31, 2012, you will transition to Tier III for another 13 weeks and can exhaust that Tier into 2012.

If Congress extends the unemployment legislation in its present form, next year after Tier III, you will transition to Tier IV for another 6 weeks and after that Extended Benefits for another 20 weeks.

Thank so much for the helpful info'
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $89,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment