Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-02-2011, 08:15 PM

15 posts, read 144,175 times

Advertisements

I was fired from my job in 10/2010, and have been collecting unemployment ever since. EDD stated that my claim would expire 1 year later in 10/2011, and instructed me to file a new claim (which I did) when the date approached and I contacted them via e-mail. I went through the regular motions and channels, but when all was said and done I received a "Notice of Determination of Invalid Claim, Section 1277" form in the mail due to the fact I had not worked since filing my first claim. Since I am still on an extension, EDD said that I will continue to receive regular payments until the amount on my first claim reached $0.00, and they would then determine whether I was eligible for another extension.

However, here's my problem: because they informed me that the 2nd claim I filed was invalid, I never mailed in the continued claim form for this failed claim by the date instructed to (10/23/2011). I completely forgot about this form while I filed the other claim forms sent to me by EDD for my extension...until I happened upon it while going through some paperwork recently. I'm still within the 14 day period to mail it in, but does anybody know if it is necessary to do so since the other claim filed was found invalid anyways? And if I do, will this cause problems with the remaining payments on my extension?

If anyone could help me with this ASAP, I'd REALLY appreciate it!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2011, 10:33 PM

25,580 posts, read 56,482,264 times
This is the first time anyone from CA has asked this question.

If you are certain this claim form relates to the claim which was denied, it doesn't make sense to submit this. However, definitely call EDD tomorrow to verify.

Old 11-02-2011, 10:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariadne22 View Post
If you are certain this claim form relates to the claim which was denied, it doesn't make sense to submit this. However, definitely call EDD tomorrow to verify.
I'm sure it does relate to the invalid claim since I received another continued bi-weekly claim form for my first claim in the mail not long afterwards. I filled it out, mailed it in, and received my payment as usual with nothing out of the ordinary...which is why I'm not sure if it's necessary to send in the form for the second/invalid claim.

But yes, I agree, probably best to call EDD early tomorrow. Just hope I can get through to someone on the phone, and that they actually know what they're doing.

Old 11-02-2011, 11:15 PM

25,580 posts, read 56,482,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spike2007 View Post
But yes, I agree, probably best to call EDD early tomorrow. Just hope I can get through to someone on the phone, and that they actually know what they're doing.
Always a challenge. Good luck.

Old 11-03-2011, 06:27 PM

Well, I tried all day to get a hold of someone from EDD on the phone & on different extensions, and I got NOBODY...

Guess I'll just have to send EDD an e-mail, which seems the next most logical step. Though I was hesitant to do this since the last time I e-mailed them a question it led to me submitting another claim which was declared invalid.

Old 11-04-2011, 01:13 PM

142 posts, read 317,204 times
There have been cases where people have gotten checks for their new state claims for a week or two but at this point, your state claim has been denied so you should be fine. If I were you, I would go to the EDD website and sign up for web-cert; once you log on you can see which weeks are still outstanding. If you don't wish to do that, go ahead and send your paper form in.

Old 11-04-2011, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadillackid View Post
There have been cases where people have gotten checks for their new state claims for a week or two but at this point, your state claim has been denied so you should be fine. If I were you, I would go to the EDD website and sign up for web-cert; once you log on you can see which weeks are still outstanding. If you don't wish to do that, go ahead and send your paper form in.
Thanks for the advice. I decided to just not send the form in since I received payment on the weeks listed anyways from my original claim, and they informed me I'm still scheduled to receive my next claim form next week. I think I'm in the clear, but we'll see what happens...

Old 12-05-2011, 03:05 PM

Just in case anyone was curious, things worked out! Now I hope I get another year of unemploymet (like they promised).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment