U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 11-17-2011, 08:50 PM

2,942 posts, read 3,136,659 times
Default Employer not listed on monetary eligibility form

My previous employer..the one who came in and shut our office down.... is not listed on the form I received from UI ,but my other employers are. The phone interview is tomorrow and it is in regards to me quitting a previous job. My last employer(the one who closed the office) did not deduct taxes from my wages. Do you think this will be a problem? When I initally filled out the unemplyment forms, I listed them as my last employer and my reason for needing unemployment. I`m nervous about them not being listed. Can I be denied unemployment because an employer does not withdrawl taxes? I was a marketing manager for a home improvement company and was paid hourly. I had to report to the office each day,was responsible for hiring,training and discipline of other employees, had a set schedule,etc. Their main office is in PA and I am in MD. They also have another office in a different part of my state.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2011, 12:20 PM

1,244 posts, read 2,110,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spm62 View Post
My previous employer..the one who came in and shut our office down.... is not listed on the form I received from UI ,but my other employers are. The phone interview is tomorrow and it is in regards to me quitting a previous job. My last employer(the one who closed the office) did not deduct taxes from my wages. Do you think this will be a problem? When I initally filled out the unemplyment forms, I listed them as my last employer and my reason for needing unemployment. I`m nervous about them not being listed. Can I be denied unemployment because an employer does not withdrawl taxes? I was a marketing manager for a home improvement company and was paid hourly. I had to report to the office each day,was responsible for hiring,training and discipline of other employees, had a set schedule,etc. Their main office is in PA and I am in MD. They also have another office in a different part of my state.
Taxes are deducted from W-2 wages, and no taxes are deducted from 1099 wages. The question is, were you improperly classified as a 1099 employee when you should have been classified as a W-2 all along? The IRS has clear-cut rules about this, and many employers get away with improperly classifying their "employees."

What is the difference between a Form W-2 and a Form 1099-MISC?

How do you determine if a person is an employee or an independent contractor?

Old 11-18-2011, 03:02 PM

2,942 posts, read 3,136,659 times
Thanks wannbee, I have researched the classifying by employers. It doesn`t matter how they classify you as far as unemployment is concerned. But with the IRS,it`s a different matter. As far as unemployment is concerned ,it`s more about the working relationship you have with your employer,no matter how they classify you. Do they pay you a salary,hourly,etc. as opposed to paying you per job. Do you have a schedule that you have to adhere to, report to an office, report to a manager,etc. Do you use company equipment or materials for the job? Those are the things that unemployment looks at.
In any event, I had my phone interview and UI told me that my employer did in fact report my earnings and stated that I was indeed laid-off. She said it didn`t matter if they took taxes out or not...that was an IRS matter. I`m not sure why she asked me questions about how or why I left my previous employer, though. I`m just a little more confident about getting benefits now that I know that my employer reported my earnings and that I was laid-off. But again,not sure why the questions about my employer before that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment