U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Unread 11-18-2011, 06:16 AM

60 posts, read 72,956 times
Default How does a person obtain employment after he gets fired due to incompetence? Is it nearly impossible?

I had a job for over 3 years doing something that I hated from day one but because I wanted 'to pay my dues' and at the same time have a source of income I sucked it up.

I had been warned many times that if I did not increase my performance they were going to have to fire me. Then one day I actually got fired.

Now every time I go to an interview the interviewer inquires about the reason I left the company. I usually tell a semi-truthful account of what happened. That is, that my position was no longer needed. At that point they ask me if it was a mass layoff or if it was only me that was 'let go'.

I don't know if they are even bothering to call my previous employer and hearing something that is not what they want to hear or if they decide not to hire me due to another reason. What I know is that at times I feel like a person's future employment eligibility depends on whether or not they have ever been fired for a job.

It seems to me that if you, as a human being, end up with a job that's not a good fit for you, or you suffered from a mental illness that impaired your ability to do the job as well as your coworkers, and you ended up getting fired from a job, you automatically join a category of people who are not allowed to redeem themselves even after they acquire skills for jobs for which they might be better fits and even after they get their illnesses controlled with the help of therapy and medications.

Am I fooling myself with professional training and certifications (as well as fooling the agencies that are helping me obtain them) or am I pretty much unable to start a proper career ever again and perhaps even destined to remain unemployed for life?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Unread 11-18-2011, 12:42 PM

810 posts, read 615,679 times
I think it is the economy it's not you, people get fired all of the time unfortunately.
I'm not sure what it takes to get a job in this economy . . .

Unread 11-21-2011, 09:30 AM

352 posts, read 396,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by w99w View Post
I had a job for over 3 years doing something that I hated from day one but because I wanted 'to pay my dues' and at the same time have a source of income I sucked it up.

I had been warned many times that if I did not increase my performance they were going to have to fire me. Then one day I actually got fired.

Now every time I go to an interview the interviewer inquires about the reason I left the company. I usually tell a semi-truthful account of what happened. That is, that my position was no longer needed. At that point they ask me if it was a mass layoff or if it was only me that was 'let go'.

I don't know if they are even bothering to call my previous employer and hearing something that is not what they want to hear or if they decide not to hire me due to another reason. What I know is that at times I feel like a person's future employment eligibility depends on whether or not they have ever been fired for a job.

It seems to me that if you, as a human being, end up with a job that's not a good fit for you, or you suffered from a mental illness that impaired your ability to do the job as well as your coworkers, and you ended up getting fired from a job, you automatically join a category of people who are not allowed to redeem themselves even after they acquire skills for jobs for which they might be better fits and even after they get their illnesses controlled with the help of therapy and medications.

Am I fooling myself with professional training and certifications (as well as fooling the agencies that are helping me obtain them) or am I pretty much unable to start a proper career ever again and perhaps even destined to remain unemployed for life?
All you have to say is that your position was eliminated. Companys can only tell them Start and Finish dates when a potential employer calls. Some will say if you are available for rehire or not but most won't. Have a friend call your old job and pretend they are a potential employer. If you don't like what they say threaten to hire an attorney.

Unread 11-21-2011, 04:26 PM

60 posts, read 72,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddmhughes View Post
All you have to say is that your position was eliminated. Companys can only tell them Start and Finish dates when a potential employer calls. Some will say if you are available for rehire or not but most won't. Have a friend call your old job and pretend they are a potential employer. If you don't like what they say threaten to hire an attorney.

I typically say that the position was eliminated. But that's usually followed up by more questions. maybe I need to work on the way i say it

Unread 11-21-2011, 10:44 PM

162 posts, read 300,147 times
The problem is that you got fired in the worst economy I have ever seen. People that did get laid off can't find jobs. And I really think regardless of the "rules" HR people know eachother. They can find out "off the record" what's up with a potential employee especially if the reason for leaving seems a little off. I have been grilled on why I am unemployed by potential employers. Asking dates and when was it announced, what did you do, how many interviews have you been to, have you been offered a job before etc. I felt like I was in court or something. I think the best thing to do is to fess up to what happened and explain what you have done to prevent this from happening in the future (minus the meds and therapy thing) You'd be surprised how well they take honesty. And who really wants to work for someone who doesn't value honesty?

Unread 11-22-2011, 01:10 AM

1,755 posts, read 1,548,998 times
Seems like the only jobs I've been let go from/laid off from were the three truck-driving positions I've held within the past 7 years.
One was getting fired due to a preventable accident, another was simply being let go due to the truck owner wanting to sell his trucks, and the recent was for an outburst at a shipper that led to a firing today.

However, I've never been fired from a security job and usually stayed with those until I felt it was time to go.
Right now, I'm panning out for any driving or security job before I even think about attempting to tap unemployment.
But seeing as how my success has been better in the security department, I might as well stick to that gun, but jump to a different state.

Unread 11-22-2011, 03:27 PM

352 posts, read 396,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by w99w View Post
I typically say that the position was eliminated. But that's usually followed up by more questions. maybe I need to work on the way i say it
You may just be getting yourself worked up about the question and making the interviewer think that something worst happened then what actually did. It may also just be all in your mind. It is really hard for anyone to get a job right now so that is probably the real reason you are't having any luck.

I have asked a few Human Resource Pro's that I know about what they think of a canditate who has been fired and both told me that they only get reluctant to hire someone who has been fired if it has happens at one job after another. One of those HR Pros is from my former employer and I think She is a lot more judgemental then most.

You can fire anyone for anything. In a lot of States you don't even need a reason. I can't imagine that being fired from one job could damage your career that badly.

Have you thought about saying that you offered to take a layoff because you knew that you didn't want to be at the Company long term and you didn't want someone that did to be eliminated? That is what I did.

Unread 11-22-2011, 03:52 PM

3,116 posts, read 3,310,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddmhughes View Post
You may just be getting yourself worked up about the question and making the interviewer think that something worst happened then what actually did. It may also just be all in your mind. It is really hard for anyone to get a job right now so that is probably the real reason you are't having any luck.
Agreed. If you freak out even a little when they get to that question, you could be giving the impression that something much worse happened, than you're admitting to. Try to relax, and not assume the worst.

People get fired every day - and they do get jobs again. It may take more time for some than others, but they do get jobs again. And you will too!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $74,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment