U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Unread 12-13-2011, 10:15 AM

352 posts, read 396,094 times
I can't believe they aren't letting anyone know until the very last minute! This is something that could devastate millions of families.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Unread 12-13-2011, 12:34 PM

1,357 posts, read 827,052 times
I spoke with one of Harry Reid's staff members and was told that Reid is pushing hard to get the unemployment extension voted on by Friday.

Unread 12-13-2011, 12:45 PM

1,236 posts, read 948,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LynnHarris View Post
I spoke with one of Harry Reid's staff members and was told that Reid is pushing hard to get the unemployment extension voted on by Friday.
If you say so, I'm not holding my breath but on this one I think Congress is working on their Christmas party dinner invitations..and not too concerned with a lifeline that will be cut for millions come 1/1/12. Do I think some people are milking unemployment, absolutely. Do I think it is rampant, nope...I can tell you I have been looking hard for a job, applying everywhere, mostly no response.

My gut tells me another extension will be made...announcement of it by Friday?

Who knows.

Unread 12-13-2011, 01:51 PM
C.C

2,235 posts, read 1,047,797 times
It's a bit silly to discuss the prospects for a UE extension in a vacuum. It's a minor piece of another full scale budgetary train wreck involving everything from a govt shutdown to the payroll tax, doc fix, AMT relief, even the Keystone Pipeline. The House bill with limited UE extensions should pass, but Reid won't allow a Senate vote on it. Reid may introduce his own bill but it won't be anything that will pass cloture. My guess is that his bill won't even be paid for, since he adamantly opposes paying for UE. If so, he won't even get all the dems' votes much less any of the 7 repubs he needs...

Unread 12-13-2011, 03:08 PM

5,272 posts, read 8,779,172 times
All of those people that will lose benefits without a continuation will start voting 1/3/12. Be careful Congress what you ask for from us. Fraud is not the majority; remember this!

Unread 12-13-2011, 03:12 PM

In regards to the UI deadline...my guess is that a temporary extension will be passed next week that will extend the current deadline to maybe March or April -- then once both sides return from the holidays they will start working on unemployment reform.

Unread 12-13-2011, 04:02 PM

here is an article I posted in the political forum regarding the democrats view of the republican unemployment reform bill...

Harry Reid Calls GOP Unemployment Reform 'The Wrong Side Of Ridiculous'

Unread 12-13-2011, 04:13 PM
C.C

2,235 posts, read 1,047,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LynnHarris View Post
here is an article I posted in the political forum regarding the democrats view of the republican unemployment reform bill...

Harry Reid Calls GOP Unemployment Reform 'The Wrong Side Of Ridiculous'
And do you have a link for repub's opinion of Harry Reid's bill? Oh wait, he doesn't have one yet does he?

Unread 12-13-2011, 04:28 PM

190 posts, read 222,498 times
Quote:
....my guess is that a temporary extension will be passed next week that will extend the current deadline to maybe March or April
Interesting.

LynnHarris, is this based on information you've gathered or is it only speculation on your part? Has such a postponement ever happened before?

I'm just wondering if you could elaborate because some people reading your post might get their hopes up unnecessarily. Thanks.

Unread 12-13-2011, 04:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapturegal View Post
Interesting.

LynnHarris, is this based on information you've gathered or is it only speculation on your part? Has such a postponement ever happened before?

I'm just wondering if you could elaborate because some people reading your post might get their hopes up unnecessarily. Thanks.

If I'm not mistaken, I think both the house and senate made about two to three temporary extensions back in 2010 (February through March) before they could reach a final agreement. Each one of the extensions was for about thirty days -- and it almost drove the unemployment offices crazy because they had to keep re-programming their system every thirty days to process each temporary extension.

However, regarding my above statement I said that this was my "guess" as to what may happen next week..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $74,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment