U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 03-05-2012, 01:47 PM

180 posts, read 210,635 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by metaltomato View Post
here it is, straight from the horses mouth;

On February 22, 2012, President Obama signed The Middle Class Tax Relief and Job Creation Act of 2012 (H.R. 3630). This federal legislation extends Emergency Unemployment Compensation (EUC) benefits and allows for Emergency Benefits (EB) funding through December 2012. Additionally, it incorporates other significant changes and additional requirements to the program.

The legislation does not include any additional weeks of benefits. But, it does extend the current filing deadlines. The new law extends federal benefits through January 2, 2013. All federal extension benefits will cease, no matter where individuals are in the process, with the week ending January 5, 2013.

More program details will become available once the U.S. Department of Labor issues their program guidance. We will update our website when this direction is received.
Hmmmm .... wonder if this extension includes Wa State as well. UI has not updated thier website since Feb 17,2012. According to thier web site, Wa State will lose tiers 4 and EB by April. Sure would be nice to get a bit more breathing room!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2012, 01:56 PM

14,192 posts, read 18,645,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabriel.S View Post
Hmmmm .... wonder if this extension includes Wa State as well. UI has not updated thier website since Feb 17,2012. According to thier web site, Wa State will lose tiers 4 and EB by April.
February 17th was the date legislation was enacted. According to NELP chart, WA is projected to trigger off EB May 12th. Next BLS report on 3/13 should shed more clarity.

The new legislation is FEDERAL and is applicable to ALL states. See FAQS: http://www.city-data.com/forum/23183369-post5.html

Old 03-05-2012, 02:03 PM

180 posts, read 210,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariadne22 View Post
February 17th was the date legislation was enacted. According to NELP chart, WA is projected to trigger off EB May 12th. Next BLS report on 3/13 should shed more clarity.

The new legislation is FEDERAL and is applicable to ALL states. See FAQS: http://www.city-data.com/forum/23183369-post5.html
Thanks Ariadne! Ok, so I'm trying to understand this new legislation, haven't had time to keep up with everything as of late. does this new legislation mean tiers 4 and EB will be extended or just EB?

Thanks for all you do Ariadne!

Old 03-05-2012, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabriel.S View Post
does this new legislation mean tiers 4 and EB will be extended or just EB?
Read FAQS: http://www.city-data.com/forum/23183369-post5.html

Old 03-06-2012, 09:06 AM

2 posts, read 7,148 times
Default Illinois

im on Illinois EB Benefit program and IL website STILL says it ends on March 10th despite the recent law passed by congress. I called them up TWICE and both operators said that they have not been notified by Washington DC of the changes thus the program ends on March 10th. I know this is wrong...whats going on in Illinois?

Old 03-06-2012, 10:27 AM

30 posts, read 45,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicago111 View Post
im on Illinois EB Benefit program and IL website STILL says it ends on March 10th despite the recent law passed by congress. I called them up TWICE and both operators said that they have not been notified by Washington DC of the changes thus the program ends on March 10th. I know this is wrong...whats going on in Illinois?
Still the same in NC as well but I recently received my EB letter that said I had 20 weeks available (tho we will trigger off long before that). I have learned to trust the Wizard of Wisconsin and be patient. She has told lots of us that they simply don't have the info needed to advise properly. I have stopped calling the field offices anymore because she is correct. If I were you I would not worry.

Old 03-07-2012, 01:26 PM

2 posts, read 7,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by erica_m1974 View Post
Still the same in NC as well but I recently received my EB letter that said I had 20 weeks available (tho we will trigger off long before that). I have learned to trust the Wizard of Wisconsin and be patient. She has told lots of us that they simply don't have the info needed to advise properly. I have stopped calling the field offices anymore because she is correct. If I were you I would not worry.
So what does that mean in real terms? Will the I still get my benefit after March 10th without a hicup?? Thanks

Old 03-07-2012, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicago111 View Post
So what does that mean in real terms? Will the I still get my benefit after March 10th without a hicup?? Thanks
Illinois should have updated their computers, even if their reps remained uninformed. Tier eligibility dates were extended to 12/22 which should be an easy programming fix. Fwiw, Illinois reps can get very creative in their comments. Some of the stories on this board from Illinois are incredible. You have less than a 50% chance of receiving a correct answer.

This from the Illinois website:
Quote:
Unemployment Insurance Benefits Will Continue

President Obama signs Extensions through Calendar Year; Extended Benefits Will Not End in March

Unemployment insurance benefits will continue. President Obama signed legislation that Congress passed to continue the Emergency Unemployment Compensation (EUC) program through the end of the calendar year.

Also under the legislation, the Extended Benefit (EB) program, which was set to expire March 10, will extend beyond that date. When the EB program will end in Illinois depends on how swiftly the state unemployment rate declines.

http://www.ides.illinois.gov/page.aspx?item=2494
If you don't get your benefits, post back.

Meanwhile, KEEP CLAIMING.

Last edited by Ariadne22; 03-07-2012 at 02:27 PM..

Old 03-12-2012, 05:51 PM

6 posts, read 10,006 times
Default Tier 3 ends the week of 5-31-12 for me...victim of the calandar

I live in IN. I will exhaust Tier III on June 1, 2012, and IN SHOULD be "triggered OFF" EB by then, but hopefully still "ON" for Tier Four.

June 1, 2012 is when the new TUR rate of 9% starts. So, my question is: If IN qualifies for Tier Four on May 31 based on 8.5% TUR requirement, and then on June 1, 2012, when the new rate is effective, if the TUR is below the required 9% ON JUNE 1, 2012 can I still be able to file for Tier four? In other words, will there be any "lag-time" for DOL to post it's triggers? Does this make sense? I realize I won't likely get the 16 weeks that are being provided now for Tier Four, but I am concerned the change in the TUR rate requirement that becomes effective will exclude me from Tier Four, IF IT CHANGES ON THAT DAY.
Does anyone know the answer?

Old 03-12-2012, 06:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KLHart62 View Post
So, my question is: If IN qualifies for Tier Four on May 31 based on 8.5% TUR requirement, and then on June 1, 2012, when the new rate is effective, if the TUR is below the required 9% ON JUNE 1, 2012 can I still be able to file for Tier four?
The legislation reads June 2nd is the start of the new week for the higher triggers. If you exhaust your benefits June 1, your state transitions you to Tier 2 on June 2. Since the new triggers are effective that date, for now, my answer is no.

NYS is using cutoff dates a week later than any other state for the tier transitions/triggers/reduction in weeks. Perhaps Indiana will do so as well. States are still awaiting BLS guidelines for implementation of this program.

That said, I doubt the 9% Tier IV trigger will be an issue for Indiana by June - which currently has a 3-month UE rate of 9%. The 3-month average will surely drop by June - unless you are having upticks in your unemployment rate. Look for new numbers tomorrow or Wednesday from the BLS and the new BLS EUC trigger report on Sunday. Here is the 3/11 report:

Emergency Unemployment Compensation Trigger Notice Report
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment