U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-18-2012, 09:02 AM

22 posts, read 42,226 times

Advertisements

The real cause for concern is how hard it seems they made it for anyone to qualify for tier 4. They say in order to qualify for the 16 weeks of tier 4, your state cannot be in an EB period, but ironically at the same time EB triggers off in most states TUR for tier 4 goes up .5% to 9%.. So not only to the people who are one week into EB when it cuts off get screwed (as they won't qualify for tier 4), the people who would qualify for tier 4 will most likely get screwed as well as their state will just fall slightly below the 9% mark. It seems like clockwork to make people ineligible.

To ariadne22: My tier 3 ends at the end of may, this would mean I would go into tier 4, but my question is would i be eligible for the extra 10 weeks of tier 4 as EB triggers off in my state on June 9th? Or would I only qualify for 6 weeks as I started tier 4 a few weeks before EB triggered off.

Last edited by NJResidentWithQuestion; 03-18-2012 at 09:41 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2012, 12:04 PM

1 posts, read 2,398 times
I live in michigan and am on euc tier 4 and have 5 more weeks, do I get the 16 weeks extension because I am still on a tier? Michigan unemloyment website tells you NOTHING, and I can find all sorts of diffrent answers from phoning in myself, and from others who have phoned in

Old 03-18-2012, 01:33 PM

19,569 posts, read 37,373,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirtrist3 View Post
I live in michigan and am on euc tier 4 and have 5 more weeks, do I get the 16 weeks extension because I am still on a tier?
Yes. MI left its EB period on 2/18. Since you just began Tier IV a week ago, you will be credited with the additional ten weeks.
Quote:
States not in an EB Period:

For all individuals with new EUC08 Fourth Tier claims, and for any individuals with remaining EUC08 Fourth Tier amounts in their accounts as of February 22, 2012, the maximum entitlement is the lesser of 62 percent (up from 24 percent) of the maximum regular UC entitlement or 16 times (up from 6 times) the regular UC weekly benefit amount.

http://wdr.doleta.gov/directives/att...hange9_acc.pdf
All the states are just getting up to speed on implementing Tier IV. Another MI poster had exhausted Tier IV on 2/25, but MI put him on Tier 1 from a later claim for now and will pay him the remaining ten weeks from Tier IV when his current tier is exhausted.

AZ is making people wait for their ten weeks - saying it could take three weeks for their computers to get up to speed - even when these people have tier benefits from a later claim to draw on.

Hopefully, MI will have its computers updated in the next five weeks.

Old 03-18-2012, 01:47 PM

nvm ok i got it.. so how is that fair that some states with lower unemployment rates are receiving extra unemployment extensions ..wasn't the whole point of these extensions from congress to help people unemployed.. this is pitiful that in the same country states with actual higher % of unemployment rates get less extensions passed by congress itself just because of a cut off date.. its completely idiotic.. congress should have taken the states with the highest % rate and used that as eligibility, not some meaningless factor such as when the state feels like triggering off eb..idiotic... no one is on the same page with these extensions, there is a problem when if two people who are unemployed at the same time receive different amounts of benefits based on a meaningless date that has no relevance to them. What congress should have done is take the last possible date of every state and used the last date which i believe is June 9th and made that cut off date, so people who are unemployed could still get support to help reduce the shock factor of having no EB. It's nonsense that someone in a state who has a better chance of getting a job gets an extension than someone in a state with higher unemployment doesn't...it's comical that NJ made the cut off date June 9th, they should have made the cut off date to June 1st to really make me laugh..it would have helped get their point across better..

Last edited by NJResidentWithQuestion; 03-18-2012 at 02:03 PM..

Old 03-18-2012, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJResidentWithQuestion View Post
To ariadne22: My tier 3 ends at the end of may, this would mean I would go into tier 4, but my question is would i be eligible for the extra 10 weeks of tier 4 as EB triggers off in my state on June 9th? Or would I only qualify for 6 weeks as I started tier 4 a few weeks before EB triggered off.
Six weeks only, but not because you began Tier IV before EB triggered off.

No one in any state which triggers off EB after 5/31 is eligible for the ten week Tier IV augmentation.NJ is projected to June 9th - well past 5/31.

Old 03-18-2012, 03:59 PM

Quote:
so how is that fair that some states with lower unemployment rates are receiving extra unemployment extensions

..wasn't the whole point of these extensions from congress to help people unemployed..

this is pitiful that in the same country states with actual higher % of unemployment rates get less extensions passed by congress itself just because of a cut off date..
Yup. People in MI who exhausted Tier IV on 2/18 (MI's EB end payable date) were not eligible for extra ten weeks, but those who exhausted Tier IV in MI one week later were.

Quote:
What congress should have done is take the last possible date of every state and used the last date which i believe is June 9th and made that cut off date, so people who are unemployed could still get support to help reduce the shock factor of having no EB.
Three states trigger off in August, two more in October. There was a lot of pressure in Congress to eliminate the federal benefits sooner rather than later. They couldn't wait until October. Common sense, fairness and collateral damage doesn't seem to have been given much consideration in Tier IV implementation, that's for sure.

Quote:
it's comical that NJ made the cut off date June 9th, they should have made the cut off date to June 1st to really make me laugh..it would have helped get their point across better..
Well, the lookback determines the date states trigger off/end payments. No one arbitrarily determines that date - the monthly UE figures do.

All that said, I agree Tier IV augmentation will benefit very few.

For those states not in an EB period on 2/22, anyone collecting Tier IV or eligible for Tier IV on 2/22 gets augmented Tier IV - provided they begin Tier IV before 5/31 and their state maintains a UE rate of 8.5%. This leaves out those who exhausted Tier IV before 2/22.

For those states paying EB after 2/22 but triggering off not later than 5/31, anyone currently collecting Tier IV or EB at the time the state triggers off is ineligible for the extra ten weeks. Only those who are not yet collecting Tier IV at the time the state triggers off are eligible - provided they begin Tier IV before 5/31 and their state maintains a UE rate of 8.5%.

After 5/31, Tier IV augmentation is no longer available for new Tier IV recipients.

Very narrow application of this "fix" - I agree.

Last edited by Ariadne22; 03-18-2012 at 04:16 PM..

Old 03-18-2012, 04:27 PM

14 posts, read 25,227 times
Can some1 answer my question.. it would really help..

Old 03-18-2012, 04:30 PM

14 posts, read 25,227 times
I have a question.. I just finished my 26 week in ca n got a letter they were gonna see if I can get an extension.. My question is do I even qualify? N if I do how long does it take for me to start my new extension? I would appreciate any info...

Old 03-18-2012, 04:30 PM

A simple solution would be if they HAVE to do away with EB would be to just make tier 4 16 weeks dependent on a TUR of 8.5% up until the last day of October. States with less than 8.5% would be ineligible for the 16 and just get 6. And after October when EB is finally phased out, tier 4 would return to normal. This whole pick and chose who gets 10 weeks based on a states policy is so ridiculously ineffective helps a select few at RANDOM, simple as that.

Old 03-18-2012, 04:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kares90 View Post
I have a question.. I just finished my 26 week in ca n got a letter they were gonna see if I can get an extension.. My question is do I even qualify? N if I do how long does it take for me to start my new extension? I would appreciate any info...
If you qualify, there shouldn't be a gap in payments. In CA, if the base-year wages used in your original monetary determination are the equivalent of 1.5x your highest quarter wages or 40x your weekly benefit rate, you can continue on to Tier I when you exhaust your state benefits. You should have a letter from CA listing the quarters used when you first applied.

Or, call or email CA and ask them if your claim qualifies. Most, but not all, 26-week claims do qualify.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment