Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-02-2012, 02:08 PM

26 posts, read 116,925 times

Advertisements

>In CA your original monetary determination must be 40x your WBA, or 1.5x your highest quarter to >be eligible for federal benefits.

My WBA is $179, with the total wages for the 4 qualifying quarters being $14, 482.30, well over the 40x qualification, which would be $7160. (That calculation is based on all the sum of all 4 qualifying quarters, correct?)

My highest quarter was $4,638.70.

I'm good regardless of either criteria, correct?

Thanks in advance for your help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2012, 02:53 PM

25,573 posts, read 56,451,817 times
Like I said, you've already received Tier 1. You are qualified.

Old 04-02-2012, 03:54 PM

26 posts, read 116,925 times
Thanks for your expertise!

Old 04-13-2012, 12:49 PM

165 posts, read 430,698 times
Default Unemployment extension problem

Hi. I wonder if anyone can help me - I just exhausted my initial 26 weeks (I'm in New Jersey). Now I should be going to Tier One. However, the person at unemployment said I need to finish my extension from a claim back in 2008 first (about 6 weeks). Then she wouldn't tell me if I would go on the extensions for my 2011 claim (I can't imagine she hasn't run across this one before - she was acting very evasive). Has anyone ever come across this type of situation? Thanks in advance for any information.

Old 04-13-2012, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by koalabear View Post
I just exhausted my initial 26 weeks (I'm in New Jersey). Now I should be going to Tier One. However, the person at unemployment said I need to finish my extension from a claim back in 2008 first (about 6 weeks). Then she wouldn't tell me if I would go on the extensions for my 2011 claim (I can't imagine she hasn't run across this one before - she was acting very evasive). Has anyone ever come across this type of situation?
Your answers are in FAQS: http://www.city-data.com/forum/22370378-post2.html:

Quote:
4. Why has my state put me back on tiers from my old claim, rather than paying benefits from the current claim?

Unexhausted EUC benefits must be paid before current EUC benefits. Not all states have adhered to this order of payment, but most do. Multiple claims are usually paid as follows:

Claim 1 - State benefits
Claim 1 - EUC Tier benefits until subsequent claim established
Claim 2 – State benefits
Claim 1 – EUC Tier benefits until exhausted
Claim 2 – EUC Tier benefits until exhausted
Claim 2 – EB/HUP (if eligible)
You will only be able to collect tier benefits on your current claim if you exhaust old claim benefits and begin current claim EUC before the bye of the current claim:
Quote:
General Tier/EB Facts:

If tier benefits are paid on a claim before its bye, under present legislation, those tiers can be resumed under a subsequent period of unemployment, provided legislation is still in place.
http://www.city-data.com/forum/22370378-post2.html

So, whether or not you can access tiers from your current claim depends on how much remains unexhausted from the earlier claim. Keep in mind, payment of all EUC benefits end 12/29/2012 without further Congressional extension.

Overview of current legislation here:

http://www.city-data.com/forum/23479399-post5.html

Last edited by Ariadne22; 04-13-2012 at 01:33 PM..

Old 04-13-2012, 07:25 PM

2 posts, read 3,986 times
I cannot figure out how to post a new question so must "Reply". I re-opened a California claim and got the letter today that it is only $169. I received $450 a week before. I also received letter that I was eligible for the Deferred New Payment Program. If I am eligible, why the small amount? I'm freaking out. My COBRA is $724 a month.

Old 04-13-2012, 07:31 PM

2 posts, read 3,986 times
Default Deferred New Payment Plan-confused

I just got laid off after 4 months of working a temp job. My benefit per week was $450 4 months ago with time left on extensions. I received a letter that I am eligible for this deferred payment but my amount on my report is $169! My COBRA is $724 so I'm freaking out. do they send a separate letter with the remainder? I'm confused and really scared right now. Who can live on $169 a month? Can anyone explain how this works. Website is not very clear.

Old 04-13-2012, 07:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ty16chloe7 View Post
I cannot figure out how to post a new question so must "Reply". I re-opened a California claim and got the letter today that it is only $169. I received $450 a week before. I also received letter that I was eligible for the Deferred New Payment Program. If I am eligible, why the small amount? I'm freaking out. My COBRA is $724 a month.
CA should automatically transfer you to the DNCP. However, call them on Monday to be sure they are doing that. The letter is just to inform you that you qualify for a new claim. When you exhaust your tiers from the higher paying claim, you can begin claiming the new state claim benefit of $169.

If I were you I'd look into cheaper health insurance. No way would I be paying $724/mo. Have you asked California Social Services for any help or guidance on less expensive insurance?

Old 04-16-2012, 07:56 PM

2 posts, read 4,037 times
i have a question from tennessee: I just completed 6 weeks of tier 4 on April 7th, and cant understand if I can get the additional 10 weeks I have been reading about: just to be clear, does anyone know if I will be getting it. I have tried to do my weekly certification but it says my benefits are exhausted. TN has discontinued the 20 week extension...

Old 04-16-2012, 08:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crystallikes View Post
i have a question from tennessee: I just completed 6 weeks of tier 4 on April 7th, and cant understand if I can get the additional 10 weeks I have been reading about: just to be clear, does anyone know if I will be getting it. I have tried to do my weekly certification but it says my benefits are exhausted. TN has discontinued the 20 week extension...
Augmented Tier IV is only available until 5/31 for new Tier IV recipients who have exhausted Tier III at least one week after their state has triggered off EB, provided that state maintains a UE rate of 8.5%.

You were collecting Tier IV before TN triggered off EB on 4/7. Therefore, you are not eligible.

TN triggered on to augmented Tier IV on April 8th. Because of declining UE rate, eligibility for augmented Tier IV in TN will end two weeks later, on April 21. Only those exhausting Tier III on 4/14 or 4/21 will receive the 16-week Tier IV.

This so-called EB fix is no fix at all - far too narrow and restrictive in its application.

Last edited by Ariadne22; 04-16-2012 at 08:26 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment