Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-07-2012, 05:38 PM

25,580 posts, read 56,477,246 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Definca View Post
Is the UI award only for a certain number of weeks ? Regardless of if you supplement with your
own income????
Yes and No. You have one year to exhaust your original state benefit monetary determination. This is called your benefit year. If you work during your benefit year, it may take longer to use up the award than the standard (if it is a full claim) 26-week amortization, because part of your earnings are deducted from your weekly benefit amount, thus extending the period of time it takes to exhaust the benefit. If your part-time earnings prevent you from exhausting the entire award at the benefit year end (bye), the remaining balance is lost.

I think joker may have miscalculated in some way. In every state that I know of, working part-time serves to extend the period of time over which your original state monetary award can be collected, but not beyond one year.

In joker's case, his original monetary award was amortized over a period of 26 weeks - to determine his weekly benefit amount (wba). He said on another thread he had part-time earnings for one of those 26 weeks, but believes NC only paid him 26 weeks, instead of possibly the remaining small balance in the 27th week. He needs to check all payments received from NC against his total monetary award. Total monies received from NC on the original state claim should equal the original monetary award.

Last edited by Ariadne22; 05-07-2012 at 05:50 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2012, 09:14 AM

111 posts, read 419,958 times
updated from the CA edd website.

Under the Middle Class Tax Relief and Job Creation Act of 2012, fourth federal extensions filed in California with an effective date between November 8, 2009, through May 6, 2012, provide up to 6 weeks of benefits and fourth federal extensions filed with an effective date of May 13, 2012, or May 20, 2012, provide up to 16 weeks of extended benefits.
If the effective date of your fourth federal extension is between April 1, 2012, and May 6, 2012, and:
  • You want to qualify for the increased potential maximum of up to 16 weeks, AND
  • You are willing to give up your extension benefits for weeks between the effective date listed on your Notice of Fourth Federal Extension Filed (DE 6331EUZ-E) and May 13, 2012. This means that you may only receive weeks of benefits for weeks after May 13, 2012, AND
  • You are willing to wait from now until at least 2 weeks after May 13, 2012, to resume collecting federal extension benefits. The EDD cannot pay you until you certify for benefits. The first claim form following May 13, 2012 will not be due until May 27, 2012. This means that you could experience a delay of benefit payments of up to several weeks.
You need to LET THE EDD KNOW RIGHT AWAY (by selecting the Continue button below or calling the EDD) that you want to cancel your fourth federal extension to try to qualify to receive up to 16 weeks of benefits. DO NOT MAIL YOUR CLAIM FORM TO EDD, OR CERTIFY FOR BENEFITS USING EDD TELE-CERTSM OR EDD WEB-CERTSM. Once payments are made on your extension it cannot be cancelled.
The EDD will respond to your request to advise you if you qualify to cancel your fourth federal extension and have it refiled effective May 13, 2012. If you qualify, the EDD will cancel your fourth federal extension with the effective date before May 13, 2012. During the week of May 13, 2012, the EDD will refiled your fourth federal extension with the effective date of May 13, 2012. When your extension if refiled, you will be mailed a new Notice of Fourth Federal Extension Filed (DE 6331EUZ-E) and Continue Claim forms. If you do not receive Continue Claim forms from the EDD by May 23, 2012, you will need to contact the EDD again.
If you do not qualify to cancel your fourth federal extension and have it refiled effective May 13, 2012, the EDD will respond to your request to cancel your claim explaining why you do not qualify to delay the filing of your fourth federal extension.

Best advice is that once tier 4 has started,DO NOT SUBMIT OR CLAIM ANY WEEKS! call or go online and cancel it and ask for it to be started at the later date. you will need to exhaust tier 3 completely first.

I am still very curious how CA can have us starting tier 4 effective the 13th when we roll off EB on the 12th....does not conform to the
"one week after roll off" req.....

Old 05-08-2012, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Definca View Post
The EDD will respond to your request to advise you if you qualify to cancel your fourth federal extension and have it refiled effective May 13, 2012. If you qualify, the EDD will cancel your fourth federal extension with the effective date before May 13, 2012. During the week of May 13, 2012, the EDD will refiled your fourth federal extension with the effective date of May 13, 2012.

I am still very curious how CA can have us starting tier 4 effective the 13th when we roll off EB on the 12th....does not conform to the
"one week after roll off" req.....
First of all - WOW!!!!

Talk about being claimant-friendly. It sounds like CA is actually allowing people who are already collecting Tier IV to suspend payments on their Fourth Tier benefits - which is contrary to the BLS Directive which limits 16 weeks to "New" Fourth Tier claimants one week after the state triggers off - and specifically excludes those with "balances in their accounts" - i.e., already collecting.

Wonder how CA came up with that and how they got it past the BLS? Too many complaints, too many left out in the cold in the high UE state of CA? Effectively, they are giving people "new entitlement" by allowing them to cancel the Tier IV on which they've already been collecting and refiling to the fit the "new entitlement" criteria.

On the question of date/entitlement, there is no inconsistency. BLS Directive says you don't receive "NEW" Tier IV entitlement effective 5/13 until you claim for the week ending 5/19 - one week after 5/12 (EB end payable date). So, reopening your claim (according to CA) for the week beginning 5/13 (and claiming for the week ending 5/19) gives "new Fourth Tier entitlement" effective 5/13, which is the beginning of the week following the date the state triggers off.

Hooray for CA - probably the ONLY state in the entire country ACTUALLY HELPING PEOPLE QUALIFY FOR AUGMENTED TIER IV.

I've been saying a for a while now, you could do a whole lot worse than CA if you're collecting UE. Wonder if any other states will follow CA's lead?

This is astonishing, really.

Last edited by Ariadne22; 05-08-2012 at 12:04 PM..

Old 05-08-2012, 02:11 PM

I've been scouring the EDD website looking for the above announcement on CA's work-around on the Tier IV issue and can't find it. Also checked EDD's Facebook page and Twitter. Can someone post a link, please? Thanks.

I'm starting to have real questions on whether or not the above-posted announcement is still valid? Did BLS force CA to take down the notice? Why isn't it on their website? Latest announcement is from 5/1. No mention whatsoever of a work-around to the BLS Directive on augmented Tier IV.

Last edited by Ariadne22; 05-08-2012 at 03:09 PM..

Old 05-08-2012, 03:45 PM

2 posts, read 5,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariadne22 View Post
I've been scouring the EDD website looking for the above announcement on CA's work-around on the Tier IV issue and can't find it. Also checked EDD's Facebook page and Twitter. Can someone post a link, please? Thanks.

I'm starting to have real questions on whether or not the above-posted announcement is still valid? Did BLS force CA to take down the notice? Why isn't it on their website? Latest announcement is from 5/1. No mention whatsoever of a work-around to the BLS Directive on augmented Tier IV.
The announcement is true. I got a letter from edd in the mail, and it says the same thing. However I'm trying to figure out how to find the announcement on the website - so I can delay my Tier 4 - untill the 13th. I tried doing it by phone today - but couldn't get through. Could someone post a link from edd - explaining how we can do this online?

Old 05-08-2012, 04:39 PM

2 posts, read 5,945 times
Ok...I just figured it out. The letter I got says to go to ASK EDD on the EDD website. So

1. Go to ask EDD
2 For the first choice - choose Unemployment Insurance Benefits.
3. Next choose - Extensions
4. For the next choice - the option "I am requesting to cancel my 4th extension" will come up.

From there you just follow instructions - and it will guide you through the process.

Old 05-08-2012, 04:41 PM

14,500 posts, read 31,075,853 times
I don't think CA is breaking any rules. I think they are just being creative. If you read all those bullet points, I think what they are doing is effectively cancelling current Tier 4 claimants, putting them into an overpayment status, suspending payments, resetting dates, and then letting them all reprocess with a new effective date.

Old 05-08-2012, 04:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baxter99 View Post
Ok...I just figured it out. The letter I got says to go to ASK EDD on the EDD website. So

1. Go to ask EDD
2 For the first choice - choose Unemployment Insurance Benefits.
3. Next choose - Extensions
4. For the next choice - the option "I am requesting to cancel my 4th extension" will come up.

From there you just follow instructions - and it will guide you through the process.
I just followed your instructions, and there it is. Yea!!! Well, it's corroborated.

Thank you so much for that information. I would have NEVER found it.

Last edited by Ariadne22; 05-08-2012 at 04:57 PM..

Old 05-08-2012, 04:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chyvan View Post
I don't think CA is breaking any rules. I think they are just being creative. If you read all those bullet points, I think what they are doing is effectively cancelling current Tier 4 claimants, putting them into an overpayment status, suspending payments, resetting dates, and then letting them all reprocess with a new effective date.
Isn't this amazing?!!!

Wonder if any other states can be persuaded to do the same - especially those with high UE rates, like NC and FL. Florida unlikely, but NC possible, if their claimants apply pressure. It is federal money, after all. If the BLS doesn't object and feds don't consider this a rules violation - have at it.

Old 05-08-2012, 07:10 PM

98 posts, read 847,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chyvan View Post
Very interesting! I'm in CA and I follow the EDD Facebook page, there has been no mention of this on there. They usually post whatever new updates that are also on the EDD website. On a different post, about the end of Fed-Ed in general, people are starting to leave disgruntled comments asking why they weren't notified. I'm guessing that perhaps CA only sent letters to people who qualified for the cancellation. Some of the folks on that page are pretty clueless, asking things like "how do I know what tier I'm on?" so the ones complaining probably don't realize that they wouldn't have been eligible to begin with. I'm glad that my state is at least trying to help a little, it's surprising that they are doing this.

Last edited by MissMaggieC; 05-08-2012 at 07:23 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment