Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2011, 10:41 PM

22 posts, read 134,412 times

Advertisements

Hi guys,

I've done a search through these boards but can't find an exact, current answer...

I just filed an unemployment claim and got my paperwork and I will receive the max ($450/wk for 26 weeks).

About to send the Continued Claim form in. I was planning on doing part-time work (about $100-150/wk) and this might last for as long as I wanted it to, like the whole 26 weeks. As I understand it, the first $25/25% is deducted and they will subtract the other 75% from my $450 weekly. Also as I understand it, this will basically extend my claim beyond the 26 weeks until the full amount is exhausted (please correct any of this if I am wrong...)

My questions are:

1.) Should I do the part-time work or am I better off without it?

2.) At the end of this initial unemployment benefit, if any type of extensions or tiers are available, am I still eligible based on my first, maximum claim or does everything "reset" and they base any future benefits off this $100/wk job I would be doing for the 30 weeks? (I wouldn't file a second claim...)

3.) What is the status of California's tiers/extensions? The info I've read has Dec 2011/Jan 2012 deadlines and I won't be done with my initial benefit until July. Will extensions be available to me then or is that unknown? Could I continue with the part-time work and still get extensions and additional tiers?

What should I do?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2011, 11:51 PM

25,577 posts, read 56,455,902 times
My comments in bold:
Quote:
Originally Posted by carol213 View Post
Hi guys,

I've done a search through these boards but can't find an exact, current answer...

I just filed an unemployment claim and got my paperwork and I will receive the max ($450/wk for 26 weeks).

About to send the Continued Claim form in. I was planning on doing part-time work (about $100-150/wk) and this might last for as long as I wanted it to, like the whole 26 weeks. As I understand it, the first $25/25% is deducted and they will subtract the other 75% from my $450 weekly. Also as I understand it, this will basically extend my claim beyond the 26 weeks until the full amount is exhausted (please correct any of this if I am wrong...)

My questions are:

1.) Should I do the part-time work or am I better off without it?

A better answer can be given after Congress extends the current legislation. They may shorten the tiers, remove a tier, reduce or eliminate Fed-Ed, and/or change guidelines for HR4213, which at present offers some protection on a reduced benefit as a result of working while collecting UE.

2.) At the end of this initial unemployment benefit, if any type of extensions or tiers are available, am I still eligible based on my first, maximum claim or does everything "reset" and they base any future benefits off this $100/wk job I would be doing for the 30 weeks? (I wouldn't file a second claim...)

When you exhaust your 26 weeks and before transferring you to EUC, CA will review your new earnings together with any unused earnings from your previous employment not included in your current base year. They are required to do this quarterly for as long as you collect EUC. At some point before your bye, it is possible you will qualify for a new state claim. New claims under these circumstances - especially with your low part-time earnings - usually result in a lower benefit.

It isn't a case of you filing a new claim. CA must do this earnings test before transferring you to federal EUC Tier benefits - if they exist at that time. If HR4213 is still in effect, CA has the Deferred New Claim Payment program which will allow you to resume your earlier claim provided the new claim benefit is $100 or 25% lower.

3.) What is the status of California's tiers/extensions? The info I've read has Dec 2011/Jan 2012 deadlines and I won't be done with my initial benefit until July. Will extensions be available to me then or is that unknown?

Unknown.

Could I continue with the part-time work and still get extensions and additional tiers?

Possibly. See above.

What should I do?

Wait until Congress extends the current legislation - probably within the next 30 days.
Knowing what I know now, I would not take any low-paying work until my state benefits were exhausted and I was well into Tier 1, at least. For one thing, once you have begun EUC tier benefits before your bye or the establishment of a new claim, they are preserved for future use even if a new claim is begun. Also, when you are on the tiers, EUC regs require CA to reevaluate your earnings every quarter. If there is no new income, you do not get into new, lower claim territory. By waiting at least six-nine months, you would not have enough new earnings to create new state claim eligibility until your bye, which means, if Congress extends the legislation, your benefit will remain at $450/wk for at least a year.

If by some remote chance, Congress does not extend the legislation, then, of course, take the part-time job, because it will affect nothing.

One other thing, whenever a new claim is created, your rights to Fed-Ed on the first claim - at present the last 20 weeks of benefits - are lost. The only Fed-Ed available would be on your last - presumably lower - claim - if it qualifies. Another reason to avoid a new claim unless you feel you are highly employable and will never reach Fed-Ed status.

There are situations where people work full-time for a long period at some point after beginning EUC on their first claim. Those wages can create a new claim at the same benefit and with another set of tiers. Up to this point, California and most other states (not all) have been paying in their entirety EUC tiers on multiple claims. This may change - for reasons too lengthy to go into at this point.

If you are going to work during an open claim, find a job that will pay well and last a while.

Last edited by Ariadne22; 12-03-2011 at 12:17 AM..

Old 12-03-2011, 05:17 AM

43 posts, read 234,351 times
Do not do it. If you make a measly $900 in a quarter you be reclassified into a new lower claim when you finish this benefit year of 26 weeks. What does that mean in regards to the minimum? About $40 a week in benefits thats what. I personally got hit with an 85% reduction in benefit amount doing the part time thing. They do have programs that help people retain the benefits (HR4213) but do not trust the state unemployment agencies especially EDD in CA to interpret it correctly. It is a pain in the ass to go through the appeals process. Like Ariadne22 said, do the job only if it pays near your benefit amount of $450 and it will last for a long time, otherwise do not do it. It sounds counterintuitive I know but that is how unemployment works in this country.

Old 12-07-2011, 04:04 AM

22 posts, read 134,412 times
Ariadne22, skrepo, thanks for the info... knew there could be some negatives with the part-time work. Will be holding off on it until more is known about the future of the extensions, etc.

Old 12-19-2011, 11:49 PM

27 posts, read 83,353 times
carol213,

I'm in California, and I worked part-time when I initially started collecting unemployment. It worked out fine for me, until I went onto Fed-ED. Here's what happened in my case...

While I worked part-time, if I made more than my weekly UI benefit, I did not get UI for that week (but I had extra money from working). If I made $100 or less in a week, they allowed me to keep the first $25, then deducted the rest from my UI for that week, and I got a check for whatever was left. If I made over $100 in a week, I got to keep the first 25%, they deducted the rest from my UI benefit, and I got a check for whatever was left. Between my part-time earnings and UI, there was never a week that I got less money than my weekly UI benefit.

When my benefit year ended and I opened a new claim, the weekly benefit on my new claim was signifigantly less (in my case, $200 less). Since I qualified for the "EUC Fix", I was able to defer my new claim (which was my second claim), and continue to collect the same weekly benefit amount I had been collecting on my initial claim. I collected that amount on Tiers 1-4, then went onto my "deferred claim" (second claim) when I exhausted the EUC tiers, and got to Fed-ED. At that point, I started to collect the signifigantly lower weekly benefit amount.

Working part-time does draw out the time you are on UI. In my case, that worked out to be beneficial. I started collecting UI in November 2009, got on Fed-ED in October 2011, and the benefit year end on my deferred claim ended in November 2011. I decided not to try to open a third claim.

I say think very carefully about what you want to do. Personally, I would wait to see what happens with the latest extension negotiations. Good luck to you!

Old 01-31-2012, 03:13 PM

9 posts, read 21,901 times
Hi im in colorado and about to go into tier 2 unemployment and on sunday i will claim but there is only 70 dollars on my balance will i only get the 70 or will the push me into the next tier and give me the hole amount i always get????

Old 01-31-2012, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ericson19 View Post
Hi im in colorado and about to go into tier 2 unemployment and on sunday i will claim but there is only 70 dollars on my balance will i only get the 70 or will the push me into the next tier and give me the hole amount i always get????
$70 only. See FAQS 11: http://www.city-data.com/forum/unemp...ment-faqs.html

Old 01-31-2012, 07:02 PM

9 posts, read 21,901 times
is there anything i can do to get it all i am behind on a few bills and that will kill me

Old 01-31-2012, 07:11 PM

Nope.

Old 05-20-2013, 09:59 PM

1 posts, read 4,145 times
I was layed off two weeks ago ive been told i will receive cali ui. A staffing agency called me today and said they had a job for me. It will only be til fri. If i take this job, i will lose my ui correct?then if i dont find more permenent employment do i sign back up for ui or do i lose it altogether? It is NOT a long term job. Idk what the rules are.
I also start college classes (4hrs) next week. Ive been told state and frderal dont mix....not to tell ui i am enrolled into school. Idk what to do on this either. Thank you
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment