Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2011, 12:24 PM

1 posts, read 25,187 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I've been searching online a bit but can't seem to find any recent answers as to what my options are.

I have an unemployment claim (first claim) that is set to expire on 5-26-12 but my balance is only about $900, which will definitely run out before then.

Am I eligible for an extension? Will that increase my benefit amount? If not, then do I need to wait until closer to the end of May to apply?

ANY help is greatly appreciated, I am just so unsure as to what to do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2011, 01:48 PM

25,579 posts, read 56,466,951 times
My comments in bold:
Quote:
Originally Posted by TryingMyLuck View Post
I have an unemployment claim (first claim) that is set to expire on 5-26-12 but my balance is only about $900, which will definitely run out before then.

Am I eligible for an extension?

Yes. California will transition you to Tier 1 for another 20 weeks, provided your state benefits are exhausted with your claim for the week ending December 24, 2011. If you are claiming online, continue to claim as you normally would. If you are claiming by mail, CA should send you forms. If they do not, call them ASAP.

If you exhaust your state benefits after December 24th AND Congress extends the legislation beyond December 31, 2011 in its present form, then you should be able to access Tier 1 (and hopefully the other tiers).

Will that increase my benefit amount?

No. The benefits paid under this claim do not change in amount.

If not, then do I need to wait until closer to the end of May to apply?

If you do not exhaust your state benefits by the week ending December 24, 2011 - AND - Congress does not extend the legislation, there are no further benefits available for you until you earn enough to qualify for a new claim.

Reapplying in May will not change anything without new earnings.

Old 01-13-2012, 10:53 AM

1 posts, read 25,049 times
to Ariadne22,
i'm in the same position as tryingmyluck person. And my recent claim form came yesterday 01-12-2012 with the second week part blacked out and balance is $450. My claim expires in 06-2012. So i have no idea what the status is. Apparently i exhausted the state benefits balance amount in jan 2012, not before Dec 24-2011. So what shall i do in this situation? Please help!! I am trying to call 800-300-5616 and dial 130 and 12117 all morning and no luck to get to a person.

It's pretty disturbing right now.. Hopefully you may help me out with what actions i should do from here! Thank you so much!

Old 01-13-2012, 11:17 AM

14,500 posts, read 31,069,269 times
EUC was extended. You should be just fine moving to tier 1.

Old 11-20-2012, 08:01 PM

1 posts, read 23,515 times
hello, i started a claim 8-5-12 and my claim doesnt expirer till 8-03-13 but my funds look like they are going to run out in about 2months and it is 11-25-12. i just realized this right now and know im freaking out because if i dont get a job before the money runs out im screwed!!! does anyone know what i can do to expented my funds atleast till the claim is up in aug.?

Old 11-20-2012, 08:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mustang94 View Post
hello, i started a claim 8-5-12 and my claim doesnt expirer till 8-03-13 but my funds look like they are going to run out in about 2months and it is 11-25-12. does anyone know what i can do to expented my funds at least till the claim is up in aug.?
Your original state benefit claim is normally for 26 weeks - in most states for a full claim. Some states can offer as few as 20 weeks, possibly less in FL. You have until the end of January/early February to exhaust those state benefits. If Congress extends the UE legislation, possibly about the time your state benefits are exhausted there will be federal benefits to supplement. No way of knowing at this time what the picture will be in February. There aren't any other options now, other than you attempting to find part-time work to supplement and thereby extend those benefits.

Old 08-24-2013, 01:34 PM

1 posts, read 21,094 times
I only have $57 left on my claim even though it goes until 1/25/14. I am freaking out, My maximum weekly amount is $178 and I still haven't found a job..can I get an extention. How do I do that?

Old 08-24-2013, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buenobobbi View Post
I only have $57 left on my claim even though it goes until 1/25/14. I am freaking out, My maximum weekly amount is $178 and I still haven't found a job..can I get an extention. How do I do that?
If your claim qualifies, CA will automatically transfer you to federal extension benefits. Chances are, if your claim provided at least 20 weeks' benefits, you are eligible for the extension.

New Federal Unemployment Insurance Extensions

Keep in mind, with sequester reduction of 17.69%, that weekly benefit of $178 will become $147. For now, CA is saying those cuts continue to year-end.

Sequestration Reduction Calculator of Federal Extension Benefits

Old 01-01-2014, 10:08 PM

1 posts, read 19,882 times
Default Funds running out before my claim expires

Hello, I am fining myself in this same situation. My claim expires in July of 2014 but my funds will run out by February. Of course I am hoping to have a job by then...but if not I'm worried about what to do. Do I need to reopen a claim? Do the automatically send process you to tier 1? Is that something I need to apply for? It's nearly impossible to get through on the phone to speak to someone...thank you in advance for your help.

Old 01-01-2014, 10:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Libbylib View Post
My claim expires in July of 2014 but my funds will run out by February. Of course I am hoping to have a job by then...but if not I'm worried about what to do. Do I need to reopen a claim? Do the automatically send process you to tier 1? Is that something I need to apply for?
CA does not allow more than one claim in a 12-month period. Therefore, if you have exhausted benefits from your current claim in February, there would be no claim to reopen.

If Congress extends federal benefits, you can begin those. CA will automatically transition you to EUC if that happens.

Otherwise, your benefits end in February. You are not eligible for a new claim until July 2014, and then, in most cases, only if you have worked since you first filed for benefits in July 2013.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment